Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Using soundclips in music?

Discussion in 'Music, punk scene & subcultures' started by Some Guy, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Some Guy

Some Guy Experienced Member Experienced member

Dec 13, 2011
     Canada
    I was just wondering if anyone knows what the laws are in regards to using sound clips for my band's music? I'm under the impression that without permission, it's not permitted. However, there are a bunch of bands I listen to (even bigger ones, such as Good Riddance) who use sound clips (such as Noam Chomsky clips or ones from movies) and they aren't credited in the album.

Obviously, it's not like I really believe in the legality of it, however I'd rather not get sued or something like that, in the unlikely chance that my small punk bands get caught doing so.

2. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Depending on what the clip is used for you can use sound clips if you are somehow commenting on the clips content...you should search copyright laws to see where you can and can't get away with it..for instance we used a clip of a well known conspiracy idiot to comment on the harmful and murderous effects of spreading paranoia to uneducated masses...and it was allowable under copyright law because it was a criticism of the contents of the clip...

3. Ivanovich

Ivanovich Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 31, 2010

I seriously doubt anyone would do shit anyway, but... You can claim 'fair use' if its educational or in the public interest. That's just copyright though, there's also author's rights, so if you want to be safe, credit them on the cover or something.

4. Anton-One

Anton-One Experienced Member Experienced member

Jul 30, 2012

you are allowed to use so many seconds of spoken word (from films or whatever) free, I can't remember the full details but I was on a music technology course and the tutor mentioned it. the film maker know it does them favours to get lines from there films in tracks (it's made some quite ropey films cult classics) you do notice that in some movies the music does even stop so the quotable lines are dilivered in an easy to sample way.