Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Transphobia in Anarchism

Discussion in 'General political debates' started by Chris Meitanis, Jan 1, 2024.

1. Chris Meitanis

Chris Meitanis Member Forum Member

Dec 13, 2022
    Male , 17 years old
    Athens,Greece  Greece
    I was recently talking with my cousin who is an anarchist and I was shocked at the amount of transphobia especially towards non binary people. She uses "pokemon" as a derogatory term for people that use pronouns and are involved with anarchism here in Greece. She says how they are "liberal" and "counter-revolutionary" because they are coming from a privileged background and don't care about "real issues". From what I have seen, non binary people that are anarchists have class consciousness and are advocates of class war, but she says that they don't do anything and they only want to fix the language (gender neutral pronouns).

Personally I widely disagree that people that use pronouns are "bourgeois" and "counter revolutionary". My partner is trans masc for reference. Have you ever experienced something similar ? How can I tell her that what she is saying is erasing a whole community and that for anarchism to be achieved these people have to be respected?

atlastitan likes this.

2. Starfighter

Starfighter d(^_^)b Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male , 38 years old
    Malmö, Sweden  Sweden
    Even if it were true that there exist people out there who's only goal is to implement pronouns (well, there already is a bunch of pronouns in every language, but we know what people really mean), how are they counter revolutionary? It sounds like something a, and forgive me for assuming, quite young person would say just getting in to this whole line of thinking.

Zoe Baker has a playlist of videos on this topic, if you haven't seen them already I highly recommend them.

Milo likes this.
  3. Chris Meitanis

Chris Meitanis Member Forum Member

Dec 13, 2022
    Male , 17 years old
    Athens,Greece  Greece

Yeah she is quite young, older than me but still. The "counter revolutionary" bit really pissed me off because it was used so stupidly in my opinion. Thank you for the videos I'll check them out :)

4. Kobac

Kobac Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 7, 2009
     Denmark
    Your anarchist friend has strong marxist beliefs. Describing queer movement as counter-rev, liberal, bourgeoisie you could see in most constitutions (at these times aimed mostly LGBT population) of communist countries in 20th century.

22 members have read this thread this month

1. Rune
  2. Starfighter
  3. Spike one of many
  4. costofliving
  5. fetlaritea
  6. Charger Bullet
  7. Blasfemia
  8. cervogxenro
  9. vandamnage
  10. Maddox
  11. anarchopsychot