Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Superman renounces US citizenship

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ungovernable, May 20, 2011.

1. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    Yikes! Something is seriously wrong when one of the world’s most recognized and greatest super heroes is threatening to renounce his U.S. Citizenship. What do you think about Superman’s decision? Is this a strong and effective strategy against political tensions?

-Ofelia Yanez, Cuéntame Co-creator

Article: Superman renounces US Citizenship, NY Post

Great Caesar’s ghost! The world’s most famous champion of truth, justice and the American way says he intends to renounce his US citizenship.

Superman makes the shocking pronouncement in this week’s Action Comics No. 900.

“Truth, justice and the [bold]American[end bold] way – it’s not enough anymore,” the Man of Steel tells the president’s National Security Advisor.

“I intend to speak before the United Nations tomorrow and inform them that I am renouncing my US citizenship.”

And no, he’s not giving up his citizenship because of health care reform or high taxes. He made the declaration after his protection of protestors in Iran becomes an international incident.

“I’m tired of having my actions construed as instruments of US policy,” he says, explaining that he wants to help wherever and whenever he’s needed. “I’ve been thinking too small. I realize that now.”

In a statement to The Post, DC Comics co-publishers Jim Lee and Dan Didio said that despite the global outlook, the character is and always will be a red-blooded American at heart.

“Superman is a visitor from a distant planet who has long embraced American values. As a character and an icon, he embodies the best of the American Way,” the statement says.

“In a short story in ACTION COMICS 900, Superman announces his intention to put a global focus on his never ending battle, but he remains, as always, committed to his adopted home and his roots as a Kansas farm boy from Smallville.”

The story isn’t expected to have any repercussions in the “Superman” line of comics – it’s unclear whether he actually follows through with the pronouncement – but whether he actually has any citizenship to renounce may be a job for Donald Trump’s crack investigative team.

In his origin in the comics, he’s sent to Earth as a baby to escape the demise of his home planet of Krypton and he’s found by a Kansas couple who raise him as their own son.

Since he wasn’t technically born in the United States – and since his adoptive parents the Kents didn’t legally adopt him – he’d likely be considered an illegal alien.

The citizenship story has been heavily criticized online by some readers who take it as the character turning his back on the US – ustownhall.com called the tale “troubling” and “distressing”- but there have been precedents in the comic book world. In the early 1990s, “Justice League of America” became “Justice League International” so they could deal with more global threats.

In a move that was politically motivated, Steve Rogers briefly gave up his alter-ego as Captain America in the 1970s out of frustration with government corruption. He later returned to his identity as the star-spangled avenger to fight for the American dream, not the American government.

2. butcher

butcher Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 8, 2009

lol, where do you find this shit?

3. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    Some random website i dont even know how i ended up on, but the source is the NY Post

4. Caps

Caps Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 3, 2010

It was mentioned in The Guardian in the UK a little while back. US conservatives were livid, apparently. I also read an article saying that DC comics made a Muslim Batman in France! They might as well just run around kicking the neo-cons of America in the nuts.

5. The Freakboi

The Freakboi Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

May 8, 2011

Because Superman worked for the US Government, and because he's basically indestructible, I guess the government granted him citizenship. As for Clarke Kent... kid appears out of nowhere and no-one questions it... it was the 30's, things were alot more relaxed back then.

That was a pretty cool plotline actually, plus Nomad was far better than Captain America. Also, Cap later went up against the US government during Marvel Civil War after the government brought in the superhuman registration act.