Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Squatting and Communes?

Discussion in 'Anarchism and radical activism' started by KhaosXRevolution, Jul 16, 2012.

1. KhaosXRevolution

KhaosXRevolution Member Forum Member

Jun 21, 2012

This is probably going to seem like an extremely stupid question, but I cannot find any information online about this. My boyfriend and I are interested in squatting or joining an anarchist commune sometime by the summer of next year, but we have no idea where to go to join one. I, personally, would rather join an anarchist or punk commune instead of just squatting with my boyfriend somewhere because I have no experience on the streets or living that kind of lifestyle.

So could please tell me how I would

-Find a commune or a place to squat. This is my main concern. What states are the best for this?
    -Actually join a commune? I highly doubt you just walk right in and plop your stuff down.
    -Find a place to squat if I decided to do this. I'm mostly worried about evading police detection when it comes to this.

I'm sorry if I seem like a complete dumb fuck. But thanks for answering if you decide to.

2. butcher

butcher Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 8, 2009

As for squats, there's fairly obvious reasons why details aren't posted publicly on the interwebs, you'd be better off trying to find a place thru word of mouth, etc.
    As for communes, no idea. I assume yr in the US?

3. THEBLACKNOVA

THEBLACKNOVA Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 11, 2011
     Mexico
    GET A JOB! ----- That's a joke by the way.

Squats- what city or cities are you thinking of, in the states?

Next time you see someone who looks like a traveler on the streets in your hood ask them what's up and what city you should look into for squatting and communes. Cuz they probably just came from one or are going to one. :D

4. rabidpossum

rabidpossum Active Member Forum Member

Jun 9, 2012

your location is important. big cities you might wanna know somebody. if you're in a small town there's a good chance you could do it on your own and if you're slick and a good neighbor that will help diminish the possiblility of a problem with cops.

in big cities i've found that unless the group of folks involved are likeminded in making the squat sweet and sustainable, you're going to end up with human and dog shit everywhere and puke and a mess that's never cleaned.

we had a squat in boston called D-4 (because it was literally in direct view of the police district 4 station off tremont) that we had altogether about 7 months or so. it was 3 floors with electricity and we were able to fill up big buckets of water to flush the toilet. it was pretty sweet but obviously the cops caught on and after the last of us was thankfully out the windows were barred.

5. KhaosXRevolution

Jun 21, 2012

To answer your question, I was thinking somewhere on the east coast (I live in the United States) because I like cooler and more temperate climates. I know that California has a few communes, but it would take me longer and more money to get there (Which is fine, if that's my last option.)

I live in a small Midwestern town in MI, I'm pretty sure there are no squats in my state.

6. KhaosXRevolution

Jun 21, 2012

I'm more interested in urban areas. Any cities or states that you would recommend? I would prefer someplace that was on the East Coast (I live in the US).

That sounds pretty nice. Can you find places with running water or is that pretty rare?

My boyfriend wants to squat with people who are straight edge, which would probably cut down on the messes people leave. I really don't care as long as they have a similar ideology to mine and promise not kill me. :lmao:

7. KhaosXRevolution

Jun 21, 2012

Yes, I live in the Midwest.

8. rabidpossum

rabidpossum Active Member Forum Member

Jun 9, 2012

what you are looking for is out there, but findin it online... thats called gettin lucky. you kinda need to find it as you go. especially in urban areas. youd be surprised what you can do if you just gofor it. but just hoping to find sweet shit doesnt guarantee it. finding likeminded people and doing it might be your best bet no matter where you are. ESPECIALLY in urban areas, cause there are many fuckin scumbags.

being safe and knowing how to talk to cops is key.