Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Religion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AnarchyRules, Nov 4, 2023.

1. AnarchyRules

AnarchyRules Member New Member

Jul 14, 2023
    Male
    Maryland, United States  United States
    So, as I’ve been discovering myself, I’ve come to the realization that I don’t believe in god, or any organized religion for that matter. I just think it’s not real and that there is no proof. Now I don’t have any problem with others believing in religion, as long as they don’t force their beliefs on me, I won’t force my beliefs on them. My main problem is my mother. She was raised Jewish and has tried to raise me and my younger brother Jewish. I’ve been trying to find a way to tell her that I don’t believe in this and that I would like to stop attending services, but I know it would break her heart. Does anyone have any experiences like this or any advice? I want to be true to myself but also I don’t want to create a divide in our relationship.
    Thank you very much

2. Spike one of many

Spike one of many Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Banana Republic  South Africa
    I mean, nobody can force anyone to believe in something. It's a personal decision. It doesn't necessarily mean you have to break with all traditions... or does it? I don't know, maybe it does. You must decide that. I've always thought Jewish upbringings were very liberal in many respects (I'm not Jewish so maybe I'm talking shit now but that's what I thought). It's unlikely she'll want to disown you because of your choices. For your mom it's probably about more than just your belief in God, it'll probably also be about "what do I tell my friends/ fellow worshippers why my son stopped attending services" I guess. I've had Jewish friends in school that didn't believe in God and didn't care much for their traditions. If you feel so strongly about it you're just gonna have to tell her. Even if your mom will be disappointed now, she'll most likely get over it and hopefully respect your choice in time.

3. Rune

Rune Experienced Member Experienced member

Jul 7, 2023
    Female
    Western Australia, Australia  Australia
    Fortunately, I didn't go to church much as kid, although that's probably because I was raised as a non-denominational Christian. However, when my mum found out that I left Christianity at the beginning of 2019, she tried guilt-tripping me into going back by saying my grandparents would have been disappointed in me. I was prepared for this though and she has since accepted my decision, but she doesn't know I'm a pantheistic Satanist.

Spike one of many likes this.
  4. Spike one of many

Spike one of many Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Banana Republic  South Africa
    You could also use the argument that if God does exist, "he"/"she"/it" is already part of us and everything around us, so in essence "we are God" and in that case there's no need to worship "him" in a temple or church. Not sure how that argument will fly though, it might be akin to heresy to some people. But you could use it as a last resort :D

Rune likes this.

7 members have read this thread this month

1. AnarchyRules
  2. Spike one of many
  3. aint ashamed
  4. Starfighter
  5. Charger Bullet
  6. Rune
  7. Chris Meitanis