Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Punks at work

Discussion in 'Anarchism and radical activism' started by punkmar77, Dec 18, 2009.

1. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Ok there has been strong debate here on what is and isn't Anarchy and how it relates to capitalism....So what do you do for a living punk?

2. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    it's not the same thing dude, even if an anarchist system there would be workers. After all, there would be no class but the working class.

Even in a capitalist system some anarchists think working class stuggle is the successful revolutionnary way.... Think about the syndicates and all their accomplishments, like the CNT during the spanish revolution

But to answer your question, i don't work and i never officially worked except in an autonomous way (selling t-shirts, arts and such)

Fighting capitalism is not all about boycotting as much as you can. Some punks think the real anarchists live in the street, are homeless, eat in dumpsters and ask money to others peoples to eat... (and they don't even realize they're still parasites of the capitalist system). But in my opinion if there's somewhere we must fight it's right in the middle of the capitalist system, we aren't going to make the revolution by making a protest in the middle of Saharah desert

And there's no shame of being forced to work (unless you exploit your friends or you work for walmart or mcdonalds). Everyone has to survive, capitalism is omnipresent in our lives.

Only individualists and primitivists usually think we have to isolate from the capitalist/industrial society to be real anarchists

3. lax_punk_sneakz

lax_punk_sneakz Active Member Forum Member

Sep 21, 2009

i work for an afterschool program with elementary and jr. high kids... mohawk, piercings, tats, my ideals and all... i try to be a positive role model that they can look up to... i tell them to do what makes them happy, respect each other, and change the world for the better any way they can... it makes me all warm and fuzzy inside to see happy children while the rest of the world makes me sad and angry, a little balance i guess... and maybe one of these kids will grow up and do something positive to change the world.

4. Vegetarian Barbarian

Vegetarian Barbarian Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 19, 2009

So what do you do to make ends meet ungovernable?

I work part time at a video rental place, i get free rentals on games and movies so its a pretty sweet deal.

Most of the other time i work for ANARCHY!!

5. flinger_of_poo

flinger_of_poo Member Forum Member

Dec 16, 2009
     United States
    I don't work, but it's partly just because I'm lazy, and partly because there isn't much employment where I am to be had.

6. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    You missunderstood Ungovernable, I Do work for a living, I work for a demolition company
    Jackhammering concrete and destroying buildings. Recently I have been really disgusted with some of the companies that I've had to do demo for, Novartis, Pfizer, these companies use animals for testing and I found myself in complete conflict. Trust me It's not over. But I won't go into any detail here. That's the reason I brought this topic up, because of my personal conflict of interest I want to see if my Anarchist brothers and sisters are experiencing similar situations. PS lax punx sneax that is too fuckin cool
    :D

7. Carcass

Carcass Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 12, 2009

I do something similar to what lax_punk_sneakz does, except with 4th graders instead of middle schoolers. These kids have it pretty fucking rough. TV, the internet, bad food and water have all but destroyed their attention spans to the point that they can't perform simple tasks of which anyone would think a 10-year-old capable. Like l_p_s said, I do my best to serve as a positive role model and help them with math and literacy (most of them having substantial difficulties in these areas). They all want the same thing, which is one on one attention but that can be hard to deliver since I've got 13 of 'em.

I think working with young people is a great thing for anarchists to do. There's so much programming in their lives that they're not equipped to deconstruct. Teaching children to think critically is a profoundly radical thing to do. I remember being on a field trip last year and passing a beer billboard that more or less said, "drink this and you'll be cool." I turned to one of my students who was staring at the billboard and asked, "do you really think drinking that would make you cool?" He paused for a second as he thought about it and then replied, with a smug grin on his face, "naw! They're just tryin' to sell you something!" I gave him a high five.

8. Mike Puke

Mike Puke Active Member Forum Member

Sep 18, 2009

I've been on the dole since 1985. The Governments trying pretty hard to get me off it lately... mind you, they always have! Unfortunately for them, if you're a resident of NZ and unemployed, then you're entitled to the dole...

9. ungovernable

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    Some things i can not say in public ;)

For the rest like i said i do "autonomous jobs" from time to time, like art contracts or selling t-shirts, repairing computers, ....

I don't mind working, as long as i'm my own boss

So you blow things up, hehe?

Must be an awesome job!

But yeah i think i misunderstood your first post. At first i thought you meant that working and being anti-capitalist is contradictory

10. ungovernable

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    Some things i can not say in public ;)

For the rest like i said i do "autonomous jobs" from time to time, like art contracts or selling t-shirts, repairing computers, ....

I don't mind working, as long as i'm my own boss

So you blow things up, hehe?

Must be an awesome job!

But yeah i think i misunderstood your first post. At first i thought you meant that working and being anti-capitalist is contradictory

11. ASA

ASA Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 2, 2009

I don't work for companies but i don't diss those who do if they have thought about it and can be at peace, if they work for the govt i don't agree at all but thats how insidious it is, peepz ain't gonna change shit unless u r

12. Vegetarian Barbarian

Oct 19, 2009

I have a friend who is 30 and his philosophy is that working is for suckers and that he gets to live off his girlfriend and doesnt have to pay for anything. He doesnt do much other than drink and do punk things (nothing productive, just going to shows and sleeping) and shes dumb enough to stay with him its sad. And the same girl hates people who live on welfare... the people that are around me :(

13. Rathryn

Rathryn Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 21, 2009

Dole lasted me about 4 months, they cut it 19th of last month, so now I'm unemployed with no source of income, as I can't apply for welfare (I live with my parents, therefore they have to take care of me instead of the state doing so)... man am I glad I do NOT live on my own. Welfare is so low as it is in Holland I wouldn't be able to cover the cost of any of the housing in the immediate area anyway, let alone if I actually BOUGHT my own house.

14. punkjoke

punkjoke Member Forum Member

Oct 29, 2009

Sup I've got a great job. I work in a indoor skatepark and I'm paid to watch people so they don't get hurt(almost never happens) and I'm paid to ride wich is mainly my function. I'm paid by the city counsil or some lazy ass guy in his office. I think it's nice for me to be paid by the city to improve my skills or to injure myself. I used to work for shell as a gas pump attendant so it's better now cus I'm not part of destroying the earth anymore.

15. ampallang

ampallang Active Member Forum Member

Nov 12, 2009

Now in DK i dont really work, sometimes clean peoples apartments- organic cleaning .. boring.. but these are people that work for nokia and govt so i just over charge them..

Back home i used to do disability work, was cool.. had no problems about from having to feed people meat... but if there was a vegetarian in the house who needed assistance to eat i was the one assisting them.
    I also used to work for a womans organisation running a project for young woman about there rights and getting there opinions on situations and stuff.. was pretty cool and then really depressing at times too.

I did work for local council on and off.. good money and i helped kids make zines, a project i made.. so producing there once media. i think thats probably the only govt job i would ever work. I also got to print my own zine for free! and flyers for friends.

16. we're_all_dead_anyway

we're_all_dead_anyway Active Member Forum Member

Oct 16, 2009

I have the misfortune of working the shittiest job out there, a corporate convenience store chain. WAWA. Selling cigarettes and what can barely be described as food. Yeah, I'm a sell-out, I know. But I don't have much of a choice. I need money for college and if i don't have a job my parents will kick me out and I have no where else to go. So I'm stuck there for the time being. I'm at community college now, but I'm transfering in six months, so i can quit then if they haven't already fired me.

17. disfuck

disfuck Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 11, 2009

fuck all that noise , i worked at kfc , yeah i hated it and it sucked but at least my boy tyler , who was a real close friend and punk got me the job after 8 months in jail, it was alright even though i hated most food there (even though im not veggetarian ) i just never really liked kfc , but i got drunk cauze ny boy was ass. manager , and we got fellow employees to get us alcohol !!! it was a pretty easy job , i must admitt !!!

18. BlinkoChrist

BlinkoChrist Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 1, 2009

Man I wish we had more youth like that

19. Vegetarian Barbarian

Oct 19, 2009

I digested pot brownies a couple days ago at work. It was intense

20. KnockItBack

KnockItBack Active Member Forum Member

Dec 8, 2009

I'm a vet tech and I love my job.