Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Permi-punx help this poor city boy!

Discussion in 'Anarchism and radical activism' started by down_2_load_on_u, Nov 23, 2010.

1. down_2_load_on_u

down_2_load_on_u Member New Member

Aug 21, 2010

Hey I'm not sure how political this is, but I know self-sufficient living must relate to anarcho-activism somehow!
    I figured you'd all have something to say about permiculture. I'm mostly interested because I hate my job and want to grow my own weed. haha
    I have absolutely no experience what so ever with gardening or farming. I ride my fuckin road bike everywhere so I'm in pretty good shape! and I am a freegan, so yeah, I dumpster a lot.

Other than that I'm a total pussy and I need advice on a few things. So if you're a heavy weight at this type of shit, then you probably don't even have the fuckin internet ha!!!! but if any of you have stories of past experiences with communes or anything feel free to post as long of a response you feel you need.
    So... Questions!!!!!

What is the VERY FIRST step?
    Whats the best way to find land?
    How many people with I need to help me?
    What do I do about food for the winter?
    What legal issues might I face?
    What is the VERY FIRST step?
    How long can one live off-grid without any use of money?
    What kind of budget am I looking at to begin with?
    What literature should I read (besides fucking Walden)?
    WHERE DO I FIND THE TIME?

lol okay. Show it to me!!!

2. vAsSiLy77

vAsSiLy77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jun 21, 2010

I guess you talk about "permaculture" - this is really the high art of ecological/organic farming - and it would make a really great first step, so I would recommend a less difficult approach... if you plan to try it on your own.
    Farming isn't that romantic, especially if you are trying to make a living out of it, endless hours of weeding and preparing acreage and sowing in wind and weather aren't everybody's cup of tea - but it's hard and sometimes tedious work, you need lots of patience and endurance, more patience and frustration tolerance. And you have to learn lots of things and skills besides the manual work, depending on your work you have to know the peculiarities and "moods", needs and disadvantages of the plants you work with - this necessary education is one more argument to cooperate with someone already experienced before you try it on your own.
    Plants are demanding, their needs must be met and constantly watched, no matter what your plans for your personal free time are - so it's first priority to find out if it's your kind of work worth doing: Try to find an existing holding on which organic farming production methods are applied and work there for some time - it might change your actual view on the matter, and I guess Thoreau made the same experience somehow...

I spend more than five years in an anarchist farm collective in England, which was made up mostly by punks who were hardcore organic farmers and vegetarians, wildly determined to break capitalism - and I guess it was the most sensible/useful time of my life, the landscape gardening i do now is pure wage slavery.
    But we made the mistake to expand to fast and had to deal with too many newbies' illusions about the working part of the fun - so the whole utopia went under in endless discussions about a 40-hours-week, pay according to actual performance and the like - a stupid end for a great project.
    Don't let this bad example frustrate you, give it a try and find out if it's your future living - I still stick with some of my former comrades and we still get wistful from time to time - especially if there are news of another conventional farming holding in our area is for sale - too bad that we don't have the money to start again...

3. vAsSiLy77

vAsSiLy77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jun 21, 2010

Yess, I love the smell of compost in the morning and I'll never forget the sight of our favorite Lil'Apple struggling with this rekord-breaking pumpkin twice her weight... those were the days!

And to add information to the praising:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permaculture - with lots of impressive and useful links!