Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

i wanna talk somalia

Discussion in 'Anarchism and radical activism' started by grippster, Nov 1, 2012.

1. grippster

grippster Member Forum Member

Oct 29, 2012

ive been an anarchist for a while now. and ive been dyin to go to somalia because it does not have a central government. i ssearched topics on somalia thinking it was probably a popular topic. It seems most were bashing on it saying it was an anarcho-capitilist country.

SOOO? cant we be happy theres at least one country without government? people have been working togethor there for a long time now to raise families. they also have internet. with no government.

lookin for thoughts since i have never discussed anarchy with other anarchists except for my friend.

2. Shuei

Shuei Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 19, 2010

Well, I'm no expert on the topic, but isn't it just trading one elite-rule for the other? Capitalists acting as a state is even less democratic than what we've got... One authority to the other, but this authority will have even less limitations to its power?

But of course, it can be nice to see that the inevitable argument "you can't have a society without a central government" can be (slightly) dismissed. Though I do have my doubts about its stability - As long as there's capitalism, there will be social elites and the social elites will have authority, which will eventually lead to some sort of conflict. I'm not going to say "class-warfare", but something like that.

3. nclpw

nclpw Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

May 25, 2012

You mean you want to live there? I don`t know where you live currently or how your situation is, but taking the high rates of unemployment, poverty and droughts/famine over there in consideration, I doubt you`d have a nice time.
    They might not have a government, but there are radical religious groups that are in control over certain areas of the country.

Why would you want to go there? Honest question here, you might want to go with an ngo or whatever for all I know.

4. Spike one of many

Spike one of many Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Banana Republic  South Africa
    Where I live there are a lot of somali refugees, most of them sell cheap cigarettes on the side of the streets. I've spoken to some of them and they've told me they can't go back there, that their lives would be in danger and they fear for their families' lives whom they have left behind. Why anyone in their right mind would want to go live there is beyond me.
    I hear syria is also quite nice this time of year.
    BTW you've been dying to go to somalia? :lmao:

5. morethanfights

morethanfights Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 10, 2012

man i wish some one would sell me cheap cigarettes on the side of the street!!!!

6. Spike one of many

Aug 14, 2012
    Man I've got an excellent deal with my merchant. I pay R55,- for a carton, whereas if I would buy, say, a carton of stuyvesant at the shops it would cost me about R290,- . BTW Those smokes aren't exactly legal.

7. morethanfights

morethanfights Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 10, 2012

about how much is R55 in USD do you think? cigs here where i live usually average 4-5 bucks a pack, but from what i understand in NYC they are like 10 a pack! I know alot of people who go up to the indian reservations and buy cartons for like 10 bucks

8. nclpw

May 25, 2012

pff here a pack costs about 15 bucks, I`ve never even considered buying a whole carton. I`ll never be able to afford that, ha.

I`m kinda wondering if this was a troll thread.

[​IMG]

9. Spike one of many

Aug 14, 2012
    R55 is 6,88 us dollars. 1 us dollar = 8 rand

[​IMG]
    Who does this troll guy remind me of....hmmm.....

10. nclpw

May 25, 2012

could look like nicolas cage if you really squint.

11. Spike one of many

Aug 14, 2012
    hahaha you're right! Or even Homer Simpson's boss if you imagine the troll with a pointy nose. But I think Fights knows exactly who I was thinking of, I think that's why he logged out hahahah. Take a look at the very first photo he posted of himself on the you're so beautiful thread. It's on page 15.

12. grippster

grippster Member Forum Member

Oct 29, 2012

Shuei - i dont think the capitalists are acting as a state. people running a town market arent necesarilly looking for control socially. undoubtetly the store is being run with a heirarchy, but isnt that theres no government the most important thing?

nclpw - there may be tribal religious groups, but the chain of authority ends there. perhaps my view of anarchy is wrong, but to me, it means no government or state. the power and choices of living rests with the community, township, or maybe even county, but ends there. the life that is lived is taken up with the people you see everyday, versus a government casting a blanket of decisions of a huge area of land and too many people too count. is my view of anarchy wrong?

i want to go to somalia and just live, hang out on some land, learn about the indigenous plants and cultivate them. i want to see whats happening there because none of us really know. How does modern day tribalism work?

spike- i take what those somalies said into thought. I have found a lot of people talk smack about their home country for whatever reason. a good example is my stepfather who is from iran. he too says he could never go back there and that his life may be in danger. however after spending most of life with him and learning about his personality, i realized he is full of it. anyways, life in somalia may be unbearable, i want to go and find out.

13. THEBLACKNOVA

THEBLACKNOVA Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 11, 2011
     Mexico
    @ grippster

In what part of the world do you live that you can't create or build anarchist spaces?? That make you want to go to another country. Would you stick out as a sore thumb in somalia???

14. Spike one of many

Aug 14, 2012
    That's cool if you want to go see for yourself what it's really like to live there. As long as you keep an open mind and are aware of potential dangers, especially for a "tourist" it can be dangerous but do you know someone there who can show you around? Or do you want to go on your own?

15. THEBLACKNOVA

Aug 11, 2011
     Mexico
    check out the Anarchist F a Q: http://www.infoshop.org/AnAnarchistFAQ

section A: What is anarchism...

16. nclpw

May 25, 2012

So let me get this straight, you want to go to Somalia, where there are millions of starving and sick, to learn how to cultivate land? Do you honestly think you can just fly down there, find a patch of empty land and try getting accepted by the "natives"? You sure you`ve not just been watching Avatar a few times too much?

"Talk smack about their country for whatever reasons". So based on your logic, first hand information of a country isn`t enough? If I told you rolling around in fire would cause you third degree burns because I have experienced it myself you would then, based on whatever impression I give off as a person, judge if I`m "full of it"=exaggerating the pains of being burned alive or if I`m saying the truth?
    Nah I`m not buying this. This must be a troll.

The reason why you can`t find any good threads about it on the web is because its a really bad idea. I`m sorry, no one in their right mind would be stupid enough to encourage something like this.

17. THEBLACKNOVA

Aug 11, 2011
     Mexico
    If you live in north america it way easier to go to Chiapas, i have met mexican anarcho punks that train hop all over mexico and have live on zapatista territory for months, or better yet probably some parts of new jersey have no government, so it must me anarchism...

18. nclpw

May 25, 2012

yeah I`ve also heard antarctica is lovely this time of year. no government.

but yeah, I`d go for volunteering for the zapatistas.

19. THEBLACKNOVA

Aug 11, 2011
     Mexico
    HAHA im thinking lets go squat the Jersey Shore it looks like it could be somalia...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. THEBLACKNOVA

Aug 11, 2011
     Mexico
    Anarchy Along The Jersey Shore And On Long Island In The Aftermath Of Hurricane Sandy

Hurricane Sandy is another reminder of just how incredibly fragile the thin veneer of civilization that we all take for granted on a daily basis really is. Many of the hardest hit areas along the Jersey shore and the coast of Long Island have descended into a state of anarchy. More than 7 million people live on Long Island, and millions more live along the Jersey shore and right now they are getting a taste of what life would be like during a total economic meltdown. At the moment, there are still approximately 4.7 million homes and businesses that do not have power. Officials say that some of those homes and businesses may not have their power restored until the weekend of November 10th and 11th. Meanwhile, it is getting very cold at night. This weekend the low temperatures on Long Island are supposed to dip into the upper thirties. There have been reports of people diving into dumpsters behind supermarkets in a desperate search for food, and there have been other reports of roaming gangs of criminals posing as officials from FEMA or Con Edison and then robbing families at gunpoint once they have gained entrance into their homes. If people will behave like this during a temporary emergency that lasts only a few days, what would they do during a total economic collapse? That is a frightening thing to think about....

to continue reading: http://www.activistpost.com/2012/11/ana ... .html#more

ANARCHY IN THE JERSEY SHORE!!