Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Guy Fawkes was no hero, and certainly no anarchist!

Discussion in 'Anarchism and radical activism' started by The Hat, Nov 5, 2019.

1. The Hat

The HatExperienced Member Experienced member

There's an old joke that is recited among many anarchist groups, circles, collectives etc. that goes like this..........

"Guy Fawkes was the only person to enter Parliament with good intentions, and look what happened to him!"

The truth of the matter is that Guy Fawkes was a religious fanatic who wanted the official religion of Great Britain to be Catholic, so much so that he was willing to blow up Parliament for it.

You can celebrate Guy Fawkes day if you wish, and dress up in costume and set off as many fire crackers, and fire works as you want or are allowed to, but this is just another case of religious intolerance from what I have studied.

You might as well say Pope Lucius III and Torquemada were heroes and liberators of oppression as well.

(Martin Luther is another story entirely, but he was no good guy, either. He was just as racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, and anti-jewish, and anti semitic as his Catholic counterparts)

Never forget that, throughout history, almost all wars were started due to religious intolerance/bigotry.

3 members have read this thread this month

1. The Hat
  2. Red Menace
  3. punkmar77