Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

E.I.Y. -Capitalist version of D.I.Y.

Discussion in 'Anarchism and radical activism' started by ryan1980, Aug 30, 2010.

1. ryan1980

ryan1980 Experienced Member Experienced member

Jul 9, 2010

E.I.Y. is an acronym for "Earn it yourself" and its associated website earnityourself.com is an assault on D.I.Y. Culture as a whole. I think Anarcho-punk.net needs to declare war on this philosophy.
    The following is taken from the site:

So going through the "honest" avenues of capitalism and letting your work be exploited by The Warped Tour and reinforcing that exploitation onto others by working with major labels and ad agencies but still living "D.I.Y." so accurately that you just have to change the whole philosophy to fit your new capitalist lifestyle- is ok? No. I think it's shit. It needs to be stopped. Oh, and Free market anarchists are in love with this, too.

Really? Several months and not once did she think wasn't about the money? I liked the part where she spoke of the "business side" of punk. All of this gave me painful lawlz in my belly.

I think this is a threat to punk and a reappropriation of anarchist ideals. The logo they use is a black flag with E.I.Y. across it.

Who else thinks this is shit?

2. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Capitalistas de mierda, wahhh :'( I got called out by my peers so I jumped ship and am desperately seeking approval from other like-minded sellout fucks, and as long as they are Anarcho-capitalists then it's kinda ok....

3. chaos-ad

chaos-ad Experienced Member Experienced member

Jul 9, 2010

i dont think we really need a war on them...so what. they are just a different version of anarcho-capitalist last i saw a anarcho-capitalist do was talk big but never delivered. just another fake anarcho site to me. a roach pretty much

4. Dogma264

Dogma264 Active Member Forum Member

Jun 29, 2010

yeah fuck this site! i say we do something....hmmmwhat to do?

5. ryan1980

Jul 9, 2010

Nah. War. Not like physical war, cause really, it's only one person named Sarah Saturaday, but a propaganda war? Yes. I think it calls for that. No capitalist absconds with a black flag and gets away with it! :ecouteurs: (pretend it's black)

6. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    Most of this text almost sound like the usual profane-existence-rant.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

7. dwtcos

dwtcos Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 22, 2009

i'd rather steal it or make it thanks.

8. punkmar77

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Speaking of PE in compromising positions....

[​IMG]

Notice The Miller Beer co-sponsors
    and Strongbow Ale which is known to espouse and support very right-wing politics..... :@

9. ryan1980

Jul 9, 2010

Awww, P.E. 's all grown up now... :lmao: They need a suit now for weddings and funerals.

10. ungovernable

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    ahahahahahaha......... :lmao:

anyway, they had google ads on their website and i saw ads for very nasty capitalist companies so nothing is surprising really.... they are willing to compromise themselves just for a few dollars per month..... nasty

11. punkmar77

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    I thought you might get a laugh out of that, believe me I let them know about it at MRR, and a few weeks ago at Alternative Tentacles on FB.

12. down_2_load_on_u

down_2_load_on_u Member New Member

Aug 21, 2010

Seems like an attempt to target D.I.Y. kids without hope. I know countless crust punks that work relatively shitty jobs to pay rent. So basically we're all E.I.Y. unless we decide to abolish capitalism. So let's not start calling ourselves E.I.Y. because being a capitalist punk doesn't have a trendy sounding label. I could give a shit because E.I.Y. existing is funny enough. It's just another cop-out. The worst you could do is go make a mockery of her website. So I guess what I'm trying to say is... why not?

13. ungovernable

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    lol i just checked out their website.... it's funny as fuck.... they're promoting vans warped tour and the website is full of shitty articles

http://www.earnityourself.com/eiycyclopedia.php

articles such as:
    Getting Your Band on iTunes
    Getting Your Music On Rock Band
    Turn your band expenses into Tax Deductions
    Band Tax Deductions - It Works!!

etc...

wow HOW DIY.... itunes is so do-it-yourself and anti-capitalist

14. JesusCrust

JesusCrust Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Apr 17, 2010

I'm in, where do we start?

15. JesusCrust

Apr 17, 2010

Also, wouldn't doing it yourself count as earning it yourself in a way? To me, DIY almost seems like a primitivist version of individualism, i.e. growing your own crops, etc. If you wanna get that simplified. Seems to me like another capitalist hypocrisy, invented to shroud it's greed in incorrect rhetoric intended to pull the wool over the eyes of those who are blind to capitalistic ways, and/or too gullible to think anything different after they read their propaganda.

16. JesusCrust

Apr 17, 2010

Is it just me, or does chaos-ad seem like an anarcho-capitalist sympathizer, judging from his other posts? Maybe I just haven't been around for a while.

17. chaos-ad

chaos-ad Experienced Member Experienced member

Jul 9, 2010

piss off. they are just another little shit saying they are anarchists. im just saying theres no point in wasting energy and time on them, if a anarchist had a brain they whould see through this shit. i say keep them so we can identify the fake ones

18. Shuei

Shuei Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 19, 2010

Lol, that article is funny. "stand by your principles", "never compromise your integrity and own values" and shit, while turning your back totally on D.I.Y? If you've been part of the D.I.Y scene and are now a capitalist fuck, you've compromised your integrity.

It is possible for some bands to keep progressing and making a name and career for them self in the D.I.Y scene without having to sell-out. Just look at Crass and all the other great anarcho-bands. Of course, not many money in it, but if money's your reason - you're in the wrong scene

19. ryan1980

Jul 9, 2010

@JesusCrust
    Right. With DIY, you can earn it yourself. It's a matter of what you're trying to earn in the first place. Most bands in the scene try to achieve a level of notoriety FOR BEING DIY ADDHERENTS, thus promoting the ethics of DIY to kids in other scenes, which will then help spur that scene and so on and so on. This is inherently anti-consumerist. The D.I.Y. scene is not so much a tactic as it is a cultural network that seeks to replace capitalist routes to success. No one is saying you can't be successful in DIY - it's how one defines success. It's not asomething that one can use to become secure in that respect, abuse the fans' loyalty and then leave them behind. Sarah Saturday and her ideology completely ignores that. It's now an isolating philosophy where bands who haven't 'earned' it can't play or are literally not 'worthy' enough to stand along side bands that have. Creating a similar hierarchical structure that the DIY punk ethic thinks is abhorant. She tried to apply capitalist ethic to DIY ethic and failed, becoming "frustrated for months..."

Well, no shit!

As to what we can do? She has a myspace page on it, there's no message board on her actual site, that I know of. I say flood whatever you can. I can make 1" buttons that say DIY NOT EIY. (Instead of 'DIY,NOT EMI')

LOL, I found this: Which is a corporate business social networking site... http://www.linkedin.com/in/sarahsaturday

20. Bloody The Fuck Face

Bloody The Fuck Face New Member New Member

Aug 31, 2010

yes this person gave into there ideals but at the same time when it comes to capitalism .The system is fed by wants and needs and propagates to it accordingly many corporation were found it on a do it yourself philosophy which help them expand into there current empire of booming business.Their DIY though was sometimes rarely though found a dream of providing people great service goods quality etc but most the time fueled by greed.Greed is fueled with envy and jealousy which are forms of anger and desire which to direct oneself is to humble yourself.If you steal something it is in greed no matter how you look at it unless it is food which one needs to continue existence.stealing anything else but such is damaging anything but local faces that work to receive their own measly pickens but usually they themselves are ruined with greed and envy.Stealing promotes capitalism in its own way because then the object its self has value one desired it so it must be a desirable item it's place is thus filled back in with replacements.At the cost dollars backed up by no substantial means in the first place.To truly damaged e the economy and capitalist system one should do it their selves but that is no easy task that entails you have your independent water and food supplies and not to consume any bit of theirs.To build ones own shelter or home like my ancestor did when they moved to this country and farm.Using the internet at all fuels capitalism because you either stole or bought a computer ,using your own connection or someone else which is still consuming authorities goods.Stealing ups crime rates an expansion in crime rates results in more enforcers and enforcement leading up to the most unwanted state a completely Authoritarian state.The only way to unbalance and make progress towards a state of more freedom is to revert to older ways building your home growing,hunting gathering your own food and bartering the best form of economy because tangible goods are trade that the each other person desires.To completely upset the system and begin anew a civil war or up throw of government would suffice.By constitutional law in the Declaration of Independents one of the best damn things ever written we have the RIGHT the FUCKING RIGHT to up-throw the government if the American people do not see it fit to govern these united states of America