Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Anarchy in the UK

Discussion in 'Anarchism and radical activism' started by Link K2B, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Link K2B

Link K2B Experienced Member Experienced member

Oct 27, 2009

I've got some ideas and questions about the state of anarchism in the UK, though I'd appreciate input no matter where you come from.

When I compare the state of active anarchism in the UK to that in other European countries, we don't seem to be quite as far along. This might just be my experience and the way I've perceived it, but the squat scene isn't that active and there's certainly nowt to rival the anarchist communities of European countries. Most demonstrations and such I've been to, the anarchist faction there has been quite small and in regards to direct action, only particularly active in regards to animal rights.

I'd like to hear if anyone knows quite why this might be the case. We may not have as strong a history of anarchist activity as some other countries but it is still there. Legally, is it much more difficult here to live outside the influence of the state than it is abroad?

Just to drive at the point of this, academically I'm a bit of a novice and I'm looking to identify the issues surrounding the lack of communities identifying themselves as anarchist within the UK, so we might be better positioned to establish such communities and ultimately further and strengthen the cause in this country.

2. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    It's pretty much the same story with USA... Yes, anarchism is more difficult when you live in one of the most capitalist country in the world....

And for the protests in UK, well you live in the world's most repressive and video-surveilled country, with impressive police forces.... So again, it's not really surprising... But at the last G20 there were massive protests there.... We must note it

I don't know much about the anarchist scene, but i know there is a shitload of anarchist and antifascist organisations.... More than in most of the countrys

3. ron

ron New Member New Member

Oct 9, 2009

what you believe in is always right ,what other people agree with that's there right ,there are not enough anarchists in one country to put a governmenmt down

4. ASA

ASA Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 2, 2009

no but culture can change to bring govts down, not utopia, a better reality and soz link but don't u have an info shop nearby, the uk basically started the anarcho punk scene in one of the most classist countries in the world, thats culture.

5. Jack

Jack Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 30, 2009