Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

No veil or no service

Discussion in 'General political debates' started by rude-boy, Mar 28, 2010.

1. rude-boy

rude-boy Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 12, 2010

im surprised no one has posted anythign about this? but it sure as fuck pissed me off.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/quebec/no-veil-or-no-service-from-public-institutions-new-bill-urges-quebeckers/article1511365/

when i first heard about it i thought it was only for photos like medi care and drivers lisence. but once i read into it more i saw that its way bigger then that. and in my opinion is not a good desicion at all. i thought there were laws and shit to stop bills like this from being passed? i feel very strongly for freedom of everything. why cant one person do somthing personal liek that. its not hurting any one in any way. if i were a muslum woman i would wear it covering my face just to spite them! and to argue about how its horse shit. this is a steppign stoone for a full out ban on religous symbols in public servises. whats wrong with a star of david? or a cross or what ever does it change who a person is? NO! why cant people just let people live their own lives and not worry about things that dont change anything in the big picture. it harms no one. if they want to cover their face let them

this to me is surpression a la max and it pisses me off...i thought quebec.. well more specificly montreal at least is a very accepting place for peoples differnt culture and relgigions and skine color and everything. i fucking cant stand racists and haters...

just live your life and i will live mine. dont try and tell me to live my life. shouldent you be worried about your own life before worring about what a woman wears on her face...

2. Vegetarian Barbarian

Vegetarian Barbarian Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 19, 2009

This has been going on for a while. I remember France was trying to illegalize the head garb. It is pretty stupid

3. Wonder138

Wonder138 Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Dec 2, 2009

ya shit like this makes me want to start a riot

4. Rathryn

Rathryn Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 21, 2009

There's people here that want to ban it to.
    And I have to say the full-body burka is something I (yes I, no one else, me personally) find appalling and hard to deal with. I would prefer it if people DIDN'T wear it, but I'm not going to forbid it.
    On the other hand a wanted criminal got out of the UK wearing his sisters burka, apparently XD Customs weren't allowed to look under it XD

5. rude-boy

Mar 12, 2010

ya im not saying its good. and that they can be exploited for a persons needs. and i dont like the look of them eather. my girl freind is from iran and her mother tied to get her to wear that shit and she wont and im reallllly down cuz it would piss me off.

but what pisses me off is that people should be able to practise religion freely. i am not a religous person whats so ever. but as much as i enjoy the right to not beleve in a god. other people should have the same right to beleve in one or 9 or wtv. because in my mind this is just a stepping stone to even further socia control. weed out the other religons and leave the ones the goverment like and know they have a kind of power over. religions like the cathlic church and what not. if every one beleaves in the same god they are that much acceptible to influence.

6. Anom

Anom Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Dec 21, 2009

What is easy to forget is that not only religious muslim women might want to cover their faces. To illegalize any kind of vail is just a small piece in the puzzle of controll. 'Security'cameras doesn't have much effect if everyone covers their faces, might it be with a vail, a bandana or a skimask. To start a debate on vails, speaking only of the opressed women forced to wear niqab, burka or chador, as it seems to have been done all over the globe, is an easy way to get people to agree that covering the face is wrong. Not only are there women who freely chooses to wear vails, but also others that for different reasons choose to not show their faces.
    Of cause i don't think anyone should be forced to cover face or hair, but it should be a choice for anyone to make.

7. rude-boy

Mar 12, 2010

ya. i am assuming its volintary most of the times here in canada? i dont see the men being all crazy ill kill you or cover ur face much over here.

also they have been tyrign to push for a few years now here to make it illigal for protesters to cover their faces during protests. it was deemed unconstitional and never passed. yet this is constitutional? hmmm

8. Anom

Anom Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Dec 21, 2009

Here it's illegal to cover your face in a protest, on the way to a demonstration, near a demonstration, on the way from a demonstration, where a demonstration is about to take place and where one has been. In general it's not illegal, yet. There's been talk about it but enough people in the government has voted against it so far, but i suppose it's just a matter of time.

9. Lunadimae

Lunadimae Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 1, 2010

What I have to say about this is that most Muslim women are not allowed to wear bikinis, so as a solution, they wear a damn burka, they swim head to toe in a black garment filled with sweat from the heat of the sun building up inside that garment, why? Because a long-dead person told them to.

Religion imposes rules by force, especially on children of a family of a certain religion, furthermore wearing a religious symbol in public places may incite hatred/conflicts between that individual and another person of another religion because of their different points of view and religion.

A veil is a leash made of cloth.

10. Milan

Milan Experienced Member Experienced member

Mar 13, 2010

I don't have any problems with it, however I do understand some people find it hard to deal with,
    I would understand the reasons to ban it when it gets banned (I still am fiercly against banning any religious clothing!).
    on the other hand, I really don't get the hang of being against the wearing of veils...
    (when we go voting in June this year, I'm gonna buy one, to support a protest action against Wilders)

11. Rathryn

Rathryn Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 21, 2009

As I said I don't object to people wearing them, but I object to not being able to see people's faces when I interact with them, I also dislike people wearing sunglasses when I'm talking to them, wearing their baseball caps low or wearing whatever the fuck else on their ugly mugs.

12. Ivanovich

Ivanovich Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 31, 2010

I dunno, if their mugs that ugly, maybe best they cover up when I talk to them, init.

13. Bunny

Bunny Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 13, 2010

This is why i take issue with women wearing burkas, it's not always because they want to, women can be can face severe punishment for not wearing one. I honestly find them very off putting, because i see something that i find degrading to women, having some dead guy tell you that you can't show skin? And being punished if you do? How fucking chauvinistic is that? I realize that this maybe this is seen differently to those who wear it , but i grew up without religion and can not always fully understand why someone would follow a belief that is so demeaning, kinda like women who are catholic and say they are not allowed to use birth control or have abortions.

14. Rabbit

Rabbit Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 26, 2009

I think the way to go about this is not to ban the clothing, it's to catch anyone responsible for punishing those who refuse to wear it. If the persecution based on adherence or lack thereof is removed, it WILL be a choice. Honestly, I think this is a cultural deal more than anything. I feel like the immigrants from the places where these are the norms just need time to exercise some freedom from theocracy, and these symbols of oppression will disappear.

Not that I'm supporting this for any religious reasons- I certainly have little respect for Muhammed and fully support the Danish cartoonist who has been threatened by Islamists for exercising free speech. The problem lies in the government having that control over what you wear. That's why I disagree with the German laws forbidding Nazi symbols/uniforms. For one, these laws don't make Nazism disappear. More importantly, I have to support their right to wear what they will so that I have the right to say what I will (including telling them to fuck off).