Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Metal head looking to explore punk

Discussion in 'New members introductions' started by AYH3550, Mar 15, 2023.

1. AYH3550

AYH3550 Member New Member

Mar 14, 2023
    United States  United States
    Hi! I am very unfamiliar with this site. I only found this yesterday while researching punk bands and culture for my sociology essay. I lean more toward the metal scene because I started with that. I love bands like Sepultura, Gojira, Slayer, Obituary, Nile, Bathory, and all that stuff. When I came across this website, though, I saw that there's a strong political tie, and it interested me. I do listen to a couple of punk bands every now and then (very little), but I'm not as familiar with this kind of music. I am very open to suggestions. From what I currently hear, I enjoy listening to bands like Bad Brains, Black Flag, Satanic Togas, and Rancid (to name a few), but I want to get more into-depth, especially some local bands from Chicago (where I'm from). I also just want to get into some more hardcore bands, from what I've heard, I really like the sound.

I love listening to music and spending hours making my playlists on my phone. I also enjoy collecting CDs for my car because I have a pretty old car. I am a 20-year-old college student, and I've been playing guitar for about 2 years now. Before playing guitar, I had no experience with instruments before, but I was able to learn the basics through Youtube for a while. Recently, I've been taking a music theory class at my college since I am about to graduate, and decided to take a class that would serve my more personal interests. I'm halfway into the course, and it has made playing guitar even more enjoyable. My school is also about to start a music club in a couple of weeks and I plan to join. Before this, I would attend my childhood church's band, and although it was nice, I've always had a hard time with religion, so it would be nice to stay away from that.

Some slightly unrelated facts about me are I'm also a fan of video games. I love assassin's creed, Elder scrolls, Fallout, Doom, and so on. I'm Mexican-American and take pride in my ancestors; I enjoy listening to the rock scene from Mexico as well since I am fluent in Spanish (my native language).

2. Starfighter

Starfighter d(^_^)b Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male , 38 years old
    Malmö, Sweden  Sweden
    Welcome! There's a lot of people discovering punk through metal it seems, I have many friends who went that route.

You might already have heard about some of these, but here's a few listening suggestions that more or less have some kind of metal mixed into them!

Inepsy - City weapons
    Disfear - Live the storm
    Anti Cimex - Absolute country of Sweden
    Misantropic - Raise the gallows
    Skitsystem - Stigmata
    Loud Pipes - The downhill blues
    Wolfpack - A new dawn fades
    Exploited - Beat the bastards
    Driller Killer - Total fucking hate
    Massmord - Inget liv ingen död

Ah, I hear you are a person of culture! :) I am also quite fond of video games. I love pretty much all genres and formats. What are you playing right now? I'm going back and forth between Back 4 Blood (I didn't know there was new DLC for it so I have a lot to catch up on) and Professor Layton & The Lost Future. One for excitement and one for relaxing around. ;)

I live in Sweden so I have little to no knowledge about Mexico's scene. Well, I don't know a lot about anything in Mexico quite frankly. I can point it out on a map, but that's about it, haha! What are your favorite bands from Mexico that are active right now?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
  3. AYH3550

Mar 14, 2023
    I actually have not heard any of these bands, but thank you for the suggestions because I'm always searching for new music to listen to, especially outside of the casual stuff I listen to. I went through a couple of these just now and I'm looking forward to listening to Inepsy, Loud Pipes, and Disfear (I stumbled on their "Everyday Day Slaughter" album and that one REALLY stood out to me).

4. AYH3550

Mar 14, 2023
    I have a soft spot for RPGs, especially because those are the games I really started with. I actually haven't been playing video games lately because I'm about to graduate and transfer this summer, but I'm thinking about getting the "new" creed game if I have the money. I'm also waiting for the new Bethesda games (Starfield), I'm hoping that it'll be as good as they make it out to be. When I do have the time, occasionally, I play a little bit of Stardew because it is pretty relaxing (when I'm not in the caves) not going to lie.
    I've never heard of Back 4 Blood, but I just looked it up and might look more into it. I just realized I've never really played a game with zombies in it, and I feel like I'm missing out because a while ago, I really enjoyed the Walking Dead.

5. AYH3550

Mar 14, 2023
    Ohhhh I see hahaha. I also don't know much about Sweden's scene either (yet), but I'm looking forward to learning more about it soon. I actually don't have much knowledge on Mexico's either, it's pretty vague especially because I wasn't born or raised there. My parents moved to Chicago right before I was born, so anything I do know about the music is either from my parents or the internet. I would say one of the first rock bands in Spanish that I heard was through my parents, Mana. They're the kind of band that I feel almost any Mexican knows of and loves (some of their songs at least) because they're quite catchy. Some of the bands I found on the internet are Los Blenders (my favorite), Los Cretinos Desleales, Sgt. Papers, and Los Diabolicos. I'm not familiar with their metal or punk scene though, the only ones I do know are from Chile like Rey Chocolate and Rekeim.

6. Spike one of many

Spike one of many Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Banana Republic  South Africa
    Hey there @ AYH3550!
    Here's some Mexican hardcore you might wanna check out:

Acidez

Desobediencia Civil

Tercer Mundo

Xenofobia

Herejia

PS: I also discovered punk as a metal head (I still like metal: ENTOMBED, DISMEMBER, SEPULTURA, etc.)
    Regarding games: Assassin's Creed - check! Fallout - check! (Fallout 3 & New Vegas are still some of my faves) ;)

Starfighter likes this.
  7. AYH3550

Mar 14, 2023
    Thanks for the suggestions! So far, Acidez and Herejia have my favorite sound and I think from there I'll be able to find more like them. Also, I really like the live video for Acidez, the music hits different when I can watch them play too.

8. Spike one of many

Spike one of many Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Banana Republic  South Africa
    My pleasure, amigo!
    Abso-lutely!

5 members have read this thread this month

1. AYH3550
  2. Charger Bullet
  3. Starfighter
  4. aint ashamed
  5. Spike one of many