Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Howdy Shitheads

Discussion in 'New members introductions' started by SKUD, Oct 8, 2023.

1. SKUD

SKUD Member New Member

Oct 8, 2023
    Male , 29 years old
    Kansas, United States  United States
    Looking to get back on my ipod after deleting spotifys garbage streaming service. I wanna work for my music but this seems like the best spot for dbeat. Can yall upload the full album of disclose/framtid split? How do yall do it anyway? If its not on here I imagine most of what ill have to be doing is ripping a youtube video and trying to split the tracks after wards... thats a lot of work but dagum it guess thats what it takes to be a crusty this day and age

2. Spike one of many

Spike one of many Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Banana Republic  South Africa
    Hey Pissbrains, wassup? ;D
    I saw that split on hardcore punk: Search results for disclose/framtid but the link's dead. you can try begging him to re-up it (I've asked him to re-up some stuff a while back but he didn't do it) otherwise you've got your work cut out for you I guess :)

3. Starfighter

Starfighter d(^_^)b Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male , 38 years old
    Malmö, Sweden  Sweden
    Tallyho!
    Sure thing!

This particular release was pretty hard to find, I remember I did just what you said. I got it from youtube and cut it up etc myself. It's only 128 kbps that way but it's better than nothing.

4. SKUD

SKUD Member New Member

Oct 8, 2023
    Male , 29 years old
    Yo thanks so much! This album rips. Im not even smart enough to know what music should be at for 128kbps or what not. Sounds good enough for my basement dwelling ear rot. May have to start posting a whole list of things i want in a new thread so maybe someone else can spare the music wealth with a poor brokie like me. That way i dont gotta do the pulling up by my bootstraps myself. Appreciate it though! Will def post a list of things im looking for and whatever isnt already uploaded or I can start putting some work into:)

5. Starfighter

Feb 16, 2011
    Male , 38 years old
    Malmö, Sweden  Sweden
    The best way to describe the difference between 128kbps and under vs 192kbps and over is to listen to the music through good headphones at high volume - the lower kbps will sound more like a tape and the higher will sound more like a cd. But in cases where the music is really raw, such as with this fine example, it's harder to tell the difference and therefore not as big of a deal. :)

Please do! I'm (we're) glad to try to help! :)

Spike one of many likes this.
  6. Spike one of many

Aug 14, 2012
    What you say is true but funnily enough I find where the music is raw to medium 128kbps or even a bit lower sound louder and I'd say even better than higher kbps. Too low kbps you'll start hearing the higher frequencies like the cymbals distorting. To further illustrate the higher quality effects of 192kbps and over where it might be even more apparent, take psytrance as an example, where every sound has to be crystal-clear and sound effects have a proper "textured" feel to them the difference becomes very noticeable. You'll probably even notice the difference between 192 and 320kbps in some places.
    Tell me if i'm wrong, Starfighter :)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2023
  7. Spike one of many

Aug 14, 2012
    Furthermore, I've got 2 questions for you Starfighter cos you seem to know a bit about sound production.

Firstly:
    Why is that? Or am I tripping?

And second question:
    I don't know how common this is and if it's still a thing today but I copied a lot of music from a mate of mine namely goa/ psytrance in mp3 and a lot of the tracks are in variable bit-rate (vbr) to keep the file size down but to deliver a high bitrate when needed and a lower bitrate when not so crucial. So my question is: what triggers the higher bitrate to kick in? Cos it looks like all the frequencies are equalized at more or less the same high level, so it can't be that... So how the fuck does it know? :D

Last edited: Oct 13, 2023
  8. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada

Here is how VBR works, I'm not sure how it determines the complexity though, probably some algo
    CBR Vs VBR: A Comparison between Constant Bitrate and Variable Bitrate
    Hope it helps

9. Spike one of many

Aug 14, 2012
    Thanks Ungov, it does help. Yeah there's an algorithm involved. I was checking out a PDF on the complexity issue and most of It is far to complicated for me to wrap my head around. But what is meant by complexity in the case of video seems pretty straightforward. I think it's simply, for example a background with mostly blue sky vs. a foreground with high detail.
    What was interesting though is that VBR has an additional subjective effect which enhances the perception of quality even further and this is purely psychological. This effect does not occur with CBR, regardless of the quality.

10. Starfighter

Feb 16, 2011
    Male , 38 years old
    Malmö, Sweden  Sweden
    I'd say it's a variety of factors coming in to play. For example, a lot of "our" raw music is growing with dirtier production (The cleaner the sound, the less raw and more... clinical? Soulless? Something like that). Then we have the medium and process used to rip the song. You can rip something in pure WMA/FLAC but if the medium has weak volume (like for example a poorly tuned record player or a dirty cassette deck) it won't sound as good as a 128kbps file ripped properly.

I remember when we got internet in the middle of the 90s, I downloaded a song from Anti Cimex's Absolut Country of Sweden and it was this low res real audio file (remember that format? ;)) that sounded like... 1 kbps. It was horrendous. :D But I loved it, I thought "this is so brutal!". When I later heard the track on CD the way it was supposed to sound, it sounded really boring (because let's be honest, the production on that album is very tame). Turned out a lot of the cool raw sound was just compression artefacts, haha!

Regarding VBR vs CBR I have no idea and I've been using CBR on my rips out of pure habit. Everytime I say to myself "it's time to learn if it's worth it" I get bored, confused or both halfway through. :)

11. SKUD

SKUD Member New Member

Oct 8, 2023
    Male , 29 years old
    Heck im too stupid to even read this far. But ill have to do some listening tests with cbr vs vbr and different bitrates just to see if i can hear a difference.

15 members have read this thread this month

1. SKUD
  2. Charger Bullet
  3. Rune
  4. aint ashamed
  5. Spike one of many
  6. Starfighter
  7. BeeDog
  8. Simon Spedding
  9. ungovernable
  10. elalonso
  11. Ratking