Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

It’s Official – Cell Phones are Killing Bees

Discussion in 'General political debates' started by ungovernable, May 23, 2011.

1. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    Scientists may have found the cause of the world’s sudden dwindling population of bees – and cell phones may be to blame. Research conducted in Lausanne, Switzerland has shown that the signal from cell phones not only confuses bees, but also may lead to their death. Over 83 experiments have yielded the same results. With virtually most of the population of the United States (and the rest of the world) owning cell phones, the impact has been greatly noticeable

Led by researcher Daniel Favre, the alarming study found that bees reacted significantly to cell phones that were placed near or in hives in call-making mode. The bees sensed the signals transmitted when the phones rang, and emitted heavy buzzing noise during the calls. The calls act as an instinctive warning to leave the hive, but the frequency confuses the bees, causing them to fly erratically. The study found that the bees’ buzzing noise increases ten times when a cell phone is ringing or making a call – aka when signals are being transmitted, but remained normal when not in use.

The signals cause the bees to become lost and disoriented. The impact has already been felt the world over, as the population of bees in the U.S. and the U.K. has decreased by almost half in the last thirty years – which coincides with the popularization and acceptance of cell phones as a personal device. Studies as far back as 2008 have found that bees are repelled by cell phone signals.

Bees are an integral and necessary part of our agricultural and ecological systems, producing honey, and more importantly pollinating our crops. As it is unlikely that the world will learn to forgo the convenience of cell phones, it is unclear how much they will contribute to the decline of bees, and their impact on the environment.

Read more: It's Official- Cell Phones are Killing Bees | Inhabitat - Green Design Will Save the World

2. ungovernable

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    And if you think it is meaningless, remember Einstein said that the Earth wouldnt survive 1 week without bees... Without bees, no pollenisation, no agriculture, no food, so we die.

3. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    This is horrible news...we are almost all contributing to this decline...fuck

4. ungovernable

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    I am glad i never got into the cellphone trend... i really hate those things.... my mother gave me her old cellphone for free but i never used it once... But i am not so clean, it appears that Wifi signals are acting the same as cellphones, so i have my part of guilt :(

Here's an interessing french article, translated with google but more detailled than the english article i posted:

5. vAsSiLy77

vAsSiLy77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jun 21, 2010

Some more information on our busy friends endangered by Colony Collapse Disorder:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colony_collapse_disorder

There are still no studies about the general relation between the increase of electro-magnetic radiation via tele-communication in the atmosphere and the bee's, but the coincidence in time is more than obvious.
    In my opinion it's besides the multitude of other factors "only" the last drop that makes the already full glass boiling over the top.
    I grew to the sound of 19 hives kept by my father, who struggled until the early 90's to keep the art of beekeeping alive in times of mass extinction, finally giving up after loosing more than three quarters of his colonies during a single winter, what a loss! :'(

6. butcher

butcher Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 8, 2009

cheers for posting this, Ungov!
    I was so alarmed after reading this that I txt'd the link to all my friends.

7. Burn1ng

Burn1ng Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Apr 24, 2011

I know this is horrible and I myself don't like the idea of owning a cell phone but my mom bought me one just last week.

But, don't you people think cell phones are neccessary? Even though I don't like to admit it I think they are, but I'm only considering cell phones that only have calling functions (and perhaps a game or two), everything else in a cellphone is just an unneccessary luxury to me.

Is there really nothing we can do to make cell phones safe for bees? Wouldn't it be more plausible to just forbid the use of cell phones near bee hives instead of trying to make people toss their cell phones into the trash?.

8. vAsSiLy77

Jun 21, 2010

The problem is: The Cell Phones are tossed into the trash ultimately - 100.000.000 (!) per year in the EU alone...
    Further reading about E-waste:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_waste
    http://www.greenpeace.org/international ... te-end-up/

9. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    :party:

10. Burn1ng

Apr 24, 2011

Perhaps the solution for this would be recycling? I wouldn't mind having a used cellphone as long as it's working properly and the screen ins't scratched or cracked, but does the e-waste gets close to the bees and kills them? What I meant to say it that maybe it'd be a good idea to forbid the use of cell phone near bee hives.

I'd like to know, am I killing bees if I'm using my cell phone here in the city?. I know it's probably a dumb question.

11. SOADcore

SOADcore Experienced Member Experienced member

Mar 29, 2011

Fuck, I'm addicted to my android phone :ecouteurs:

12. Carlos

Carlos Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 1, 2010

I've never owned a cell phone, they just bug me, especially when I see people acting like zombies with there cell phones.
    But i guess they can be helpful in some situations, such as car malfunctions in the middle of a highway! I hope this never happens to me
    because then I'd be fucked!

13. ungovernable

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    Problem is also that the cell phones are made from a precious material made by exploited children in countries like Congo.... It made a big polemic recently, a few documentaries were released and proved that all cell phone companies get their minerals from conflict zones like Congo...

Here's a google translation of the description of a french documentary called "blood in our cell phones"
    If you fight against blood diamonds because they come from conflict zones like Congo, then you shouldnt use a cell phone

14. vAsSiLy77

Jun 21, 2010

It's not the single cell phone near a bee hive, it's the complete infrastructure with high energetic antennas springing up everywhere you look, thousands of orbital satellites receiving and emitting pulsed signals...
    Daniel Fauvres Lausanne study is getting under fire not only from the evil business side of the frontline, firstly because he made a mistake in naming his ex-employer to bolster up his scientific reputation, secondly because a ringing cell phone close to a bee hive says nothing about the vanishing of wild bees and bumble bees in the last 25 - 40 years - which is exactly the time electro-magnetics became prominent in the western world. There's also evidence of some behavioral problems with migrating birds and other species relying on their sense for the natural magnetic field of the planet - the BIG problem is, nothing was ever prooved.

If the exploited raw material producers, the remote controlled zombies on our streets and the poisonspreading grey market disposers aren't enough, some more reading might help:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioelectromagnetics
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetobiology
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromag ... and_health

And again, nothing was ever prooved, the industry spends more than a fortune to counter each critical study and tries desperately to minimize the possible dangers of electro-magnetic pollution down to it's thermic aspects - but I would ask:
    Are a game or two, or the opportunity to call home in the middle of the city (three minute walk to the next public phone) worth the risk - or the profits for the industry producing unnecessary needs - because there was a life before the cell phones, and it wasn't that bad at all...

15. Bakica

Bakica Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Feb 21, 2010

Does anyone have statistics which show how much bees are born/die every day ?

16. vAsSiLy77

Jun 21, 2010

It would be almost impossible to do such statistics, there are around nine species in commercial use, their numbers per hive vary greatly according to their "task" and the season of the year, at the end of autumn 'till the first warm days in spring there are generally fewer than during a busy summer.
    The species themselves vary greatly in their numbers per bee colony too, the wild ones tend to have less individuals than the "domesticated" ones while some of those are very good in reproduction and spreading, most famous example the south-american "killer bee" (which is no "killer" at all, only a bit more defensive and more likely to swarm in great numbers, making them dangerous to the stupid and unwary).
    There are statistics about the number of "human used" hives per year, and some ecologists noticed the vanishing of the wild tribes including the bumblebees in the western hemisphere, starting the observation much too late. I'll look for some more recent ones and post them to spread the alarming horrors...
    Part of it is already mentioned here (and the links given at the end of the article):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colony_collapse_disorder

17. vAsSiLy77

Jun 21, 2010

18. Burn1ng

Apr 24, 2011

Thank you for the links gobbledigooks, more people need to learn about this :thumbsup:.

19. Bakica

Bakica Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Feb 21, 2010

I watched few documentaries, but none of them were good. Can you name some ?

20. ViciousCesar!

ViciousCesar! Experienced Member Experienced member

Mar 27, 2011

Anyone else think it's time to start a pool on how humanity will end? lol