Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Answers of most questions on anarchism

Discussion in 'Anarchism and radical activism' started by ungovernable, Dec 26, 2009.

1. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    So i noticed a lot of peoples have big questions on anarchism and other seems to totally misunderstand some points...

So i thought about suggesting you to read this wonderful book by Errico Malatesta, one of my favorite (and one of the most famous) anarchist activist.

It's a book i recommend very often to those who want an introduction on anarchism. I specially like it because the whole book is a conversation between some worker (Errico Malatesta) and others opponents to anarchism : a lawyer, a bourgeois, etc... They always critize anarchism and always say "it wouldn't work because of...." and Malatesta explain the anarchist solution of all those problems and critics.

Even if it is an old text (he wrote it a few years before 1900) the arguments brought against anarchism are arguments we hear very often, even in 2009/2010.

Unfortunatly i didn't find an online-version of the text (there seems to be a big lack of online english anarchist library unlike in the french web!)

But i found it available for sale at AK-Press, which is a very good library that you can support.

http://www.akpress.org/2006/items/atthe ... nanarchism

I already bought the french version of the book

If you really care about anarchism, a couple of bucks is worth investing to answer your questions (and stop looking like an idiot when your friends critize your ideas!)

Or if you can read french (or want to try with a translator), online version of the text is available here in our online library:
    http://bibliotheque.resistance.tk/message.php?t=6649

2. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    Another very good (and more recent) source of information for anarchism questions/answers:

http://www.infoshop.org/faq/index.html

if someone can find an online version of malatesta's "at the cafe" text, then post it here !

3. Jack

Jack Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 30, 2009

I'm just going to hop in your thread and reccomend the new book Black Flame: The Revolutionary Class Politics of Anarchism and Syndicalism, came out a few weeks ago from South Africa, and it's pretty cash.

4. Saering

Saering Experienced Member Experienced member

Dec 18, 2009

I don't mean to turn your thread into a book club, but id like to recommend a book as well its called "Ishmael" its not on anarchy really but is very thought provoking (first book i ever read that made me seriously question society) and brings up some interesting points about mythology its relation to sustainability among other things Go read the book!!!

http://www.scribd.com/doc/7829408/Danie ... el-English
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/7829413/Danie ... My-Ishmael <--- prequel covers society based theories such as education systems

5. back2front

back2front Experienced Member Experienced member

Nov 26, 2009

"No Gods No Masters" by Daniel Guerin
    "The Conquest of Bread" by Peter Kropotkin
    "Anarchism and Anarcho-Syndicalism" by Rudolf Rocker
    "Anarchism: A Documentary History" by Robert Graham (3 volumes)
    "The Ecology of Freedom" by Murray Bookchin

oh and YES to Malatesta! :ecouteurs:

6. Anom

Anom Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Dec 21, 2009

Anarchism and other essays by emma goldman (easy to find as a download audiobook)

7. Hex

Hex Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 22, 2009

holy shit! thanks for the link Saering! i've been trying, unsuccessfully, to find a copy of Ishmael to boost this past week... you've saved me the trouble! thanks again :thumbsup:

8. butcher

butcher Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 8, 2009

I'd also like to recommend Black Flame.
    Whilst I've only read some of the introductory chapters so far, its a really good read, especially as its a contemporary text. Its fantastic in the way in which it demonstrates that Anarchism as a political idea and practice was created due to the needs of the newly formed working classes during the early stages of industrialisation and capitalism.
    Its, in my opinion, super important to be mindful that anarchist political practice should be (and is) determined by the economic and social conditions society finds itself in, and anarchists must tailor their actions to ending the specific forms that class divisions and hierarchy exist and are maintained within culturally varied and a constantly changing sociopolitical landscape, even if it is still broadly Capitalism.

The first volume i don't think sets out to offer solutions to 'advanced' capitalism/current capitalism, rather just place Anarchism historically (although i may be wrong), I'd love if the second edition dealt with Anarchist organising in a casualised workforce, the unemployed, underemployed, the role of 'identity' politics, environment, indigenous struggles, etc

My only issue is the authors disregard some authors as 'non-anarchists' because they differ in their view on class slightly from the authors. Thus, Bookchin isn't an anarchist, because he wrote that middle class students were more radical, in the US circa-1968, then the working class at that time (i kinda read his writings at the time to say that the students were more radical then the Trot parties and union bureaucrats at the time, which is nearly always true).

sorry :ecouteurs:

Malatesta's 'Life and Ideas' is a super good read too.

9. BlinkoChrist

BlinkoChrist Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 1, 2009

Just a question...
    What the FUCK do they rest of us do?
    Am I the only person who has trouble reading this stuff?
    I know I know I'm a stupid kid, but I'm sure their are others like myself, we aren't ALL scholarly anarchist, but a lot of us have spirit, so my question is what do WE do. how do we learn?
    Sorry for sounding angry, I just kind of am, it seems you can't get anywhere with anything without being a genius.

10. BlinkoChrist

Nov 1, 2009

To make myself more clear, I'm saying that there are some people who can yeah, mabye read the stuff but it's just so much and doesn't make sense. I don't know if that makes sense, but I thought I'd help clarify.

11. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    I understand perfectly what your saying. A lot of the literature is very intellectual in nature, but some of the stuff isn't. Try to read biographies of the lives of prominent Anarchists. A lot of it reads like a mad adventure with danger and peril around every corner. There are two books by a famous Mexican illustrator named Rius. My crazy revolutionary mother gave them to me as a kid. One is called 'Cuba For Beginners' and the other is called 'Marx For Beginners' they are both illustrated but are very well done. Rius was a rabble rousing Anarcho-Communist in Mexico in the 50's & 60's and wrote things for people to understand Revolutionary idealism in a simple manner. Dont know if they are still in print but the Marx book was published by 'Pantheon Books' and the Cuba book was published by 'Pathfinder Press'. See if you can find them, they shouldn't be more than a couple bucks each.

12. BlinkoChrist

Nov 1, 2009

Will do! \m/

13. DZA

DZA Experienced Member Experienced member

Jun 30, 2010

14. durruti3434

durruti3434 Member Forum Member

Jul 5, 2010

The Anarchist FAQ is the most reliable . It answers almost every question from how the economic structure of an anarchist will work to how social life will go on .

here is the link:
    http://www.infoshop.org/page/AnAnarchistFAQ