Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Los Angeles Anarcho Fest Feb 25th, 2012

Discussion in 'North America & Pacific Region' started by oceanyoga, Jan 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oceanyoga

oceanyoga Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 15, 2009
     Netherlands
    KPFK 90.7 FM will be sponsoring Anarcho Cafe event at the Southern California Library
    Saturday, February 25th, 2012. From 1pm-6pm. Free event.
    ANARCHO CAFE at the Southern California Library of Social Studies, 6120 S. Vermont Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90044. (323) 759-6063.
    Me and my friends are still booking speakers, poets, and performers. Confirmed speaker: Keith McHeny co-founder of Food Not Bombs, Aztlan Underground Unearthed, Marco Amador of Chicano / Son will be doing a acoustic set, Breezy Rondilone (acoustic set) .
    Click on the link for more info: http://diyzine.com/anarcho2012

2. Derek Danger

Derek Danger Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 29, 2010

"PEACE JOBS AND FREEDOM". :ecouteurs: The anarchist who values their job as much as their freedom needs to do some serious reprioritising. You can't have freedom as long as a world in which you fight for the right to go to work is the world in which you live. And what good is peace to the job market, anyways? :ecouteurs:

3. butcher

butcher Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 8, 2009

37.5 hours a week in a call centre will set you free.

4. PunkRockAnarchy_666

PunkRockAnarchy_666 Member Forum Member

Jan 25, 2012

so everything is free or what?

5. The Grinning Bandit

The Grinning Bandit New Member New Member

Sep 24, 2010

Yeah the flyers for this event could use a little work, it seems like. But whatevs, the content of the stock image on the flyer doesn't really speak to the content of the event.

Probably the books ain't free, at the very least.

6. Derek Danger

Jan 29, 2010

Hmmm... Arbeit something-or-other.

7. butcher

Sep 8, 2009

Arbeit gets you vegan cookbooks and pretty little black triangles.

8. crustybeckham

crustybeckham Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 22, 2012

There is a discrepancy between the drawing (which is liberal at best) and the ideology claimed by the organizers (it doesn't mean I necessarily question the validity or the relevance of the event by the way).

If there's vegan chicken, they can tie me to my work station.

I shall quote Hard Skin and their words of wisdom "Oi! not jobs!"

9. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    There you go making judgements on what is, or isn't anarchist again, working class anarchism and anarcho-syndicalism are the oldest anarchist traditions and focus very much on working conditions and jobs...again, save your judgements for yourself they're not needed or appreciated here...

10. butcher

Sep 8, 2009

An anarchist focus on working conditions and jobs surely would note the necessity of ending waged labour.

Yes, its just an annoying thing in one small section of one of the flyers, its no big deal. Its just a bit weird.

'Will work for tofu' you say? Bloody hippies. :p

11. punkmar77

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Whether the workers own the means of production or not, as in the anarcho-syndicalist shops in Argentina, labor is still sold, at a much higher rate to be sure and with a share of all profits coming to the workers as well. I just find the comments above to be unrealistic and highly judgmental as well. Jang Lee is a great person and well versed anarchist that has global experience in organizing actions, and it's really easy to sit behind a computer screen and make proclamations "in the name of". And yet all I see out of some is a whole lot of blab and zero action. Which is ok too, each at his own pace...but for fucks sake when people are seriously working there asses off out of love and commitment, PLEASE keep that negative bullshit to yourself.

12. Derek Danger

Jan 29, 2010

How intellectual of you.

13. Derek Danger

Jan 29, 2010

Excuse me, have we met? Hi, I'm somebody you've never met before, who would you be then? Oh, somebody I've never met before either! Well, why don't we have an internet argument and then inevitably you can make it personal. Maybe we could meet for coffee or Skype and discuss what each of us does for the cause! No? Well, I guess that would make your position slightly untenable...

14. punkmar77

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    I really don't give a fuck if I've never met you before, likewise you've never met a lot of the people on here and yet you find it necessary to put ideas and people down...and it's a sustained pattern, it's not my imagination. You want to constantly criticize without truly offering alternatives. I wouldn't necessarily call what you do trolling but it's pretty fucking close to it. There was another character on hear a couple of years ago that reminds me a lot of you by the name of NGNM who would constantly look down his nose at other forum members and feel the need to disparage, "correct" and generally make an ass of himself...needless to say he's not around anymore. If this is all you have to offer as well, then I suggest you find another forum that will tolerate your style of bullshit.
    "Mr. Intellectual"....

15. butcher

Sep 8, 2009

I think we can talk about two different things here, firstly we can talk about ways of making life better for us under Capitalism - of which yr mention of Zanon, etc, is one instance; and there are plenty of others that come to mind. Within this framework the demand for 'jobs' makes sense, given the alternative. Work is shit, but not working is often worse. The fight against austerity and whatnot no doubt includes fighting against retrenchment, unemployment (and the conditions of the unemployed), shit work conditions, etc. This is different though from the content of revolution.
    I'm quoting commies here, but the point is still valid. As this is an ad for an anarchist festival it is slightly problematic that a small section within the ads for the festival presents the content of anarchist politics as 'peace jobs freedom'.

And we shouldn't point out small problems cos the organisers are nice and stuff, right...

16. Derek Danger

Jan 29, 2010

I find you tiresome. If my brand of discourse is, as you say, a brash attempt to criticise without offering alternatives, why not offer some alternatives then leave me the hell alone?

Yknow, it's nice to be able to provoke people on the Internet into passionately defending their beliefs when they're criticised, that's what I like about the medium. Then you storm in and crack the shits because I'm stepping on toes or hurting feelings or whatever. This isn't meant to be about personalities. If people wanna have feelings then they can have them elsewhere. Stop dragging personalities into this shit. The next time you say that I'm wrong because you know a dude and he's a better dude than me, I'm going to literally tear the words off of the screen and use them as an inscription on the trophy I'm going to award myself for having the tenacity to go on living in the face of your one-sided name-dropping back-slapping knowing-a-guy style of debate.

Kay?

(see! I made it about personalities not issues, just like you like!)

17. PunkRockAnarchy_666

PunkRockAnarchy_666 Member Forum Member

Jan 25, 2012

id like to go but a friend of mine said it's goin to be BORING...

18. butcher

Sep 8, 2009

In this instance, clearly the alternative would be not having a demand for jobs on the flyer...

Yes, life is full of these difficult decisions.

19. punkmar77

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Like I said before, I could give a fuck what you find tiresome, I've not enjoyed your style of sarcasm and/or criticism either and I will continue to call you out on it every time you attempt to belittle any of our forum members, you don't like it, take a walk. Offer alternatives to what? I'm not the one making grandiose statements about what should or should not be allowed on an anarchist flyer (among other petty arguments). As far as name dropping or back slapping, it just so happens that a couple of the members that you mouthed off about are friends and the pattern you've shown a proclivity to emanate is made that much more ridiculous.

Not here to debate you, could care less at this point what your thoughts are about myself. Anything else you have to say to me on this topic you can Private Message me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.