Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Do You Support Local Punk Shows?

Discussion in 'Music, punk scene & subcultures' started by Bones Booking, Nov 16, 2010.

Voter count: 18

Do You Support Local Punk Shows?

1. Yes-Los Angeles

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  2. Yes-Inland Empire

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Yes-Orange County

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. Yes-San Diego

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. Yes-Bay Area

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. No I don't support shows.

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  7. Other Part of Cali.

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  8. Different State

11 vote(s)
    61.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Bones Booking

Bones Booking Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 16, 2010

I've been notiching from going to shows and booking shows for years that many people are very picky when they come to shows, they just go to see 1 band and leave, i was wondering how many people are there actually who come to support THE SHOW not 1 band, yes we all like that headlining band we all come to see as well but how else do you expect other bands to be heard of or get a chance to play shows if no one comes to see them to support them?

If you have a show in your area and got nothing ele to do, GO SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL BANDS!
    It's hard to get bands down here and get bands to play if we have an un supportive scene towards it's music!

Anyhow, choose a poll option to see where you come out to support shows or if you don't there's a choice for that too.
    If you support shows even out of your local scene you may choose others as well.
    For Example: You go to shows in Inland Empire,Orange County,Los Angeles.

Just wanted to get your opinion!
    \m/ :beer:

2. natasharesentful

natasharesentful Member New Member

Nov 17, 2010

I try to be open-minded and really listen for anything that sounds new to me. I feel it is rude to hang around outside the venue during another band's set, not going in. If people are there, they should go in and check out what they are missing rather than just waiting for the band they came to see and not even giving the other performers a chance. It's just stupid to get stuck in a rut, better to be interested in a band that may just be starting out, or playing a venue they haven't been to before.
    And bones booking is right that a supportive scene is a good thing in that it attracts talent for tours and brings in new people, strengthens community.

3. SurgeryXdisaster

SurgeryXdisaster Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 8, 2009

I try to go to every show I can but work and travel always complicates things

I prefer the suggested donation shows because people won't get turned away for lack of money,
    and I hate traveling far and paying even more money to get in to watch the band I came to see play for less than 10 minutes

4. Pankucnik

Pankucnik Experienced Member Experienced member

Jun 4, 2010

I go to every punk show I get informed about. I always like to hear new stuff and support bands. Even tho there are lots of shitty bands around, I rarely regret going to a show. Out of 4-5 bands playing, atleast one or two are always worth the effort.

Big problem is that I don't really get informed. I don't have any punk friends, there are very few websites where you can see if there are any shows, and only big gigs and festivals are advertised by posters on the streets. As if they don't want anyone to come :/ ... I mean it can't be too hard to place few A4 papers around the centre... oh well...

5. Bananaman

Bananaman Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 9, 2009

Posters are a waste of money and effort, they don't survive for very long... Internet is king these days if you want to advertise a show, almost everything else is a waste of time. I guess it is kind of hard to know what is going around since local forums are all but dead, and it basically comes down to knowing the right people. Which is kind of as it always was, because years back there was no internet and posters were a rare thing even back then. In some ways local punk scene really is a secret society of friends. Unless you meet somebody you are out of the loop.

Now about "as if they don't want anybody to come part"... It's kind of hard to explain, I've been following the scene for more than 10 years at this point, and some people always show up. It comes down to that you can expect the same 30 or so people every time, sometimes there is more people sometimes you end up with just ten or so tickets sold. The reason is very complicated and the whole thing kind of goes in waves... After a while you just give up on big expectations and do what you always do hoping for the best. I wish there was more people coming to the show but it's hard and I'm not sure if something can be done about it.

Now as for shows coming up in the next month or so....

1st of December at Akademija Atomski Rat, Misomor, Centralna Aktivnost
    12th of December at Akademija Aktivna Propaganda, New Mortal Gods, Katma
    26th of January at Akademija Nver Built Ruins + TBA

There is also a show in Ciklon on 28th Jaibo, Red Union, Concrete Worms, Cockroaches

There is also punk night at Akademija every monday but that is as popular as the last time they had a punk night ie. nobody cares...

6. JackNegativity

JackNegativity Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 9, 2010

I try to go to as many local AV shows as possible. Depends on if I get a babysitter.

7. Bones Booking

Nov 16, 2010

I agree, thankfully there's only one show I've booked that the main band stood outside the whole night up until they played and same with the people that came to see them only, before that only myself and a handful were inside watching the rest of the acts, i think that's fucked up, then those are the bands that end up preaching saying "Come Support Your Scene, that's why it's dying!" Yet there the ones doing it, lol.

And thank you, it helps man if you want good bands to come to your town then be supportive! That way the same old bands don't play every single show, that gels fucking old same damm bands every damm show, you gotta give a chance to the underdogs so there can be a variety of bands that pull people. That is why i wrote a blog on our page for new bands or bands who haven't got many chances to play shows, so that Bones Booking gives them that chance, i strictly only let new bands or new to bigger show bands to play our shows!

8. Bones Booking

Nov 16, 2010

I agree as well, as you know not every band starts out sounding like Wolfbrigade (haha my fav band) every band starts out at least somewhat not sounding as good as they do in the following shows. But man there's many places that you can check for shows in case you don't have friends who are into punk check these links.

There's this forum of course, Punkrockers.com, www.myspace.com/xbonesbookingx , www.facebook.com/xbonesbookingx ,www.bigwheelmagazine.com etc.

9. Pankucnik

Pankucnik Experienced Member Experienced member

Jun 4, 2010

@bananaman Thanks for the info. I guess I'll try to get to know some local punks next time I go to a show. I get most of the info from this site now http://www.getonthestage.com/ but as you can see, it still hasn't got all the information.

@bones booking Sorry, forgot to mention that I am from Serbia, but thanks anyway.

10. Vegetarian Barbarian

Vegetarian Barbarian Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 19, 2009

Posters and flyers are not dead, especially if its inner city. Most flyers and posters are handed out at other local shows or at least posted around the venues. This type of spreading knowledge should remain alive and well even if you dont think too many people will here about it. Internet is good, but like you said, local boards are dead, (which is the case here) so the internet isnt always the best alternatives to find out local shows. Hell, in my own experience i learn more about shows from flyers or word of mouth rather than the internet, unless its an out-of-town band.

Lets see... i dont support my local scene for many reasons. First off, ive supported this area for many many years, setting up shows, helping bands, doing flyers etc.etc. and its just so bad here anymore. Second, i hate this area, and im moving soon so i dont care. Third, the genre of music im really into, most of the people that play anything along the lines of it (which isnt a lot) i know too much about the peoples fucked up history to support their music, they suc, or local shows are just too expensive for me. 6 to 10 bucks for 1 or 2 local bands is ok, but i cant do it all the time, especially here. I've been going to shows here for at least 10 to 15 years and the bands/shows and people here are just getting shittier and shittier.

The "scene" here is so divided and clique-ish that its a huge turnoff to want to support any local band. Ive served my time and donated a lot of money and support over the years just to have it be worse and worse as years go by? Fuck it... if a good band comes through and its not ridiculously expensive (like a lot of shows are here) then ill go to it, but i got a lot of other shit to do too.

Now, there are some good bands that have come out of this area... I Object being one of em, but nothing like other local areas.

11. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Oh by the way this is an International Anarcho site, so I see you went heavy on the California and didn't bother adding any other continents....just please keep this in mind for future reference.

12. nodz

nodz Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Apr 4, 2010

I have trouble here in Melbourne staying abreast of the shows that happen locally. By the time I get to here about them, they are over and done with. I don't have a network of friends and have to spend ages trolling band and venue sites to see if there is anything worth going to. Trolling the venue sites is hard because sometimes they just list band names and some I might have never heard of, I've then got to try and find information or examples of their songs to determine if the are worth seeing. I haven't some across any better way at the moment.

13. Bones Booking

Nov 16, 2010

True, sorry about that. :p