Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Crass™ (©) artworks are copyrighted - it's official !

Discussion in 'Music, punk scene & subcultures' started by ungovernable, Oct 12, 2013.

1. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    A new low in the story around Crass, Steve Ignorant and Southern Records. They recently posted an article in their blog crying about someone who wanted to use the crass artworks in a book about punk... They even posted the name and the picture of the author and threw shit at him publicly. And that's after he ASKED the permission to use their artwork.

Source: http://blog.southern.com/2013/08/they-o ... e-ashamed/
    (note how the article is labelled as "ripoff" even if the dude asked for permission)

Fucking sellouts. Capitalist traitors who turned their vest.

Someone please explain me how using Crass logo will harm their album sales ? Are they stupid at the point of thinking that people buy their albums just for their artworks ?

Oh, and are they going to sue Google, Wikipedia, Last.fm, Facebook, Youtube and many other companies for the use of their logo ?

Fact is that crass has become a product, a trademark, a copyright... And they want the exclusive rights over it so they can make loads of money.

Can't believe that after everything that happenned, there's still fanboys to worship them blindlessly.

The more i read about how crass turned their vest, the more i am ashamed and disgusted to have used to have their patches on my clothes.

So the next time you want to sew a crass patch or paint a crass stencil somewhere, don't forget to send them an e-mail and ask them how much they will charge for the use of their copyrighted trademark logo product.

Southern Records, you are a shame.

2. Spike one of many

Spike one of many Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Banana Republic  South Africa
    Yeah right, like he's expected to write to every single one of those hundreds of artists individually to ask for permission to publish their artwork in his book. Or do crass believe they're something special? :ecouteurs:
    As far as I'm concerned they're not even part of "our" scene anymore with that stinking shitty businessman attitude of theirs. Seriously, they're just shitty rockstars now fucking the scene for bucks and some seem to be enjoying it (nudge, nudge, Stigma1984 & co.[yeah, I know he can't defend them anymore but perhaps someone else would like to take his place now])
    Beats me... there's just nothing "punk" or anarcho about crass anymore.
    And don't forget to add the (c) / TM!

3. IamMe

IamMe Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Dec 29, 2012
     United Kingdom
    hay guys is this all the work of steve ignorant or is penny in on it two. from my undertanding they went there separate ways after there last gig.

i still enjoy there music even now they have solt out.

4. ungovernable

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    Gee Vaucher made Crass artworks

5. Spike one of many

Aug 14, 2012
    Oh, I still enjoy the music too, I even downloaded "stations of the crass" recently and it brought back lots of good memories and yes they're still good lyrics, it's not that, it just feels kinda "hollow" listening to those songs now.

6. NoIsAGoodAnswer

NoIsAGoodAnswer Member New Member

Oct 12, 2013

7. ungovernable

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    Good point. These clowns should target the true thieves instead of bashing on their own scene and making themselves a very bad name. Everyone would have supported them if they targetted big companies who rip them instead of attacking a book author and a non-profit website who just want to help the scene...

I wouldn't even be surprised if they end up paying a company to handle the copyrights issue for them and send threats to everyone using their copyrighted stuff... A couple of bands ended up doing this, like Black Flag

8. Spike one of many

Aug 14, 2012
    Exactly, or they should target that London fashion house Hardware who stole the original crass symbol, changed it a bit and then copyrighted it!

http://boingboing.net/2012/01/31/free-the-crass-symbol-by-t.html

If this had happened in the 80's I'm pretty sure punks would've trashed that place and burnt it to the ground, but things being as they are now with crass and all, I don't think anyone gives a fuck anymore.

9. NoGodsNoMasters38

NoGodsNoMasters38 Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 17, 2013

Christ, I hate Crass. Love the music, but they can be extremely annoying.

10. Anarchy Forever

Anarchy Forever Active Member Forum Member

Nov 3, 2012

Didnt they do something with lawyers and got over 3,000 albums taken away from download sites. I remember reading that somewhere. I think it was on this site. I not saying thats fact, i just remeber something about that

11. ungovernable

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8983&hilit=crass

12. Necitheshitter

Necitheshitter Member New Member

Oct 31, 2023
    Wales, United Kingdom  United Kingdom
    its steve he still uses it whne going on tours

10 members have read this thread this month