Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Women and punk

Discussion in 'Music, punk scene & subcultures' started by nodogs_nomasters, Nov 12, 2014.

1. nodogs_nomasters

nodogs_nomasters Experienced Member Experienced member

Jul 15, 2014
     United States

2. 363

363 Active Member Forum Member

Aug 23, 2014
    Male
     United States
    Seattle is a mixed bag. As a white, middle-class, able-bodied male, I find it very inclusive and accepting. :) Does that mean it is?

3. nodogs_nomasters

Jul 15, 2014
     United States
    I'm a female, and I really haven't experienced what she's talking about either. Never heard anything akin to "women aren't punks, they're punks' girlfriend's!!" in my life, haha. Maybe it's only a problem in certain scenes, or perhaps I've just been lucky enough to avoid it.

4. Spike one of many

Spike one of many Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Banana Republic  South Africa
    I haven't experienced what the author was talking about either. I've met punks from all walks of life, races and whatnot.. abled, disabled... and generally I find punks to be among the most accepting people you can find, and I find that female punks especially, who think anything of themselves are nobody's bitch and can hold their own.
    I'm also not exactly sure where the author is coming from, especially as she herself quoted that "the punk world is for everybody: anyone can sing, anyone can play, anyone can listen, anyone can participate". Having said that, I have come across some sexist punks and the odd nazi/racist/homophobic punk but on the whole I don't see that. Maybe, as nodogs said, it's a prblem in certain scenes. The fact that ther's not more "punks of colour" doesn't bother me. I don't care. It's free for all, that's what matters.

5. DeadChannel

DeadChannel Experienced Member Experienced member

Sep 16, 2014

I certainly wouldn't be able to tell the history of punk rock without female artists.
    That being said, there *is no* scene here, so I can't speak to that.

She does make a lot of generalisations about white males though I disagree with that regardless of who you're stereotyping...

6. nodogs_nomasters

Jul 15, 2014
     United States
    Exactly. So long as all races are accepted, who cares if the majority race is white? We can't force more people of darker skin to participate. I see latino or black punks now and then. They get along just fine.
    And, like DeadChannel said, there certainly have been significant women in punk history. If anything, the author of this article is being a bit sexist by ignoring them. Most of the bands that were recognized in the mainstream to any extent were, indeed, predominately male. However, that is not a reflection of the underground scene that was very anti-mainstream.

7. ConnieKeefe

ConnieKeefe New Member New Member

Dec 11, 2014

8. RememberGlencoe

RememberGlencoe Experienced Member Experienced member

May 12, 2014

Those UK papers aren't fit to wipe your ass with. Guardian, Times, Scotsman, they're all poison disguised as information. Perhaps there's something the Guardian or the government had to gain from making the punks look bad.

9. Sillysixpin

Sillysixpin Active Member Forum Member

May 11, 2016
     United States
    Why aren't there any [ insert niche group here ] representation in punk music? My heritage is El salvadorian and i've never seen a band with the same background, that doesn't mean that we should shoehorn in some punk band that isn't motivated or passionate just to satisfy all the El salvadorian Latinos out there.

Mediums shouldn't force 'diversity' with 'supposedly irrelevant' races just to compete with the 'evil' white people. Also just because their skin is white doesn't mean they're racially white people, a lot of people in hollywood look white but aren't despite their changed names and white features.

How is this not racism? "This group is achieving too much, time to shame them in the media for the sins of their father's race and gender till everyone is defensive and hateful to them." This is modern racism, not leveling a representation.

You wouldn't see this article say this about the representation of Africa-americans in jazz, blues, rap, or other minority dominated mediums and subcultures. It pisses me of how easily the left can be used as controlled opposition, and they're fine if they can take the politically incorrect race/gender down a few pegs.

This is leftist politically correct racism/sexism. If you want a band with women of color, then start it instead of blaming others for it.