Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

William S Burroughs Spoken Word Collection + Cut-Ups Short Film

Discussion in 'Other downloads' started by 1xAntifa, Dec 20, 2019.

1. 1xAntifa

1xAntifaExperienced Member Experienced member

Nov 22, 2019
    Victoria, Australia Australia
    10 cs William S. Burroughs.zip - Shared with pCloud

Burroughs was an author whose output began in the 1930's until his death in the mid 90's. His work was influential on a range of musicians like Steely Dan [which was a dildo in Naked Lunch] through to Genesis Beyer Porridge of Throbbing Gristle and Psychic TV. Burroughs aesthetic was informed by the fact that he was gay and a junky. He came to prominence as part of the Beat movement with his second book Naked Lunch sparking an obscenity trial. He and his publishers won that trial opening the floodgates for others to use profane language and explicit sex in their own works. Politically he was apolitical, intent on destroying all systems of control over the individual. The content ranges from tape experiments to darkly humourous readings of his work.

This collection contains 9 CD's [500MB]:

Call Me Burroughs
    Breakthrough in Grey Room
    Th Elvis of Letters
    The Best of WSB from Giorno Poetry Systems [4 CD set]
    Dead City Radio
    Spare Ass Annie
    The Cut Ups with Brion Gysin [short film]

The best biography of Burroughs is Literary Outlaw by Ted Morgan.

2. The Hat

The HatExperienced Member Experienced member

That's going to be a LOT to take in.
    I always had a lot of admiration and respect for old Bill. so I'll have to try and make some time to listen.

Anybody who hasn't read Naked Lunch, or anything by William S. Burroughs really should.(That, and Howl by Allen Ginsburg)

3. 1xAntifa

Nov 22, 2019
    Whilst I agree, the cut-up novels can be hard going for the uninitiated. These are a, The Soft Machine; b' The Ticket that Exploded; c, Nova Express and d, Dead Fingers Talk. Unlike the first three, Dead Fingers is especially rare so if you see a copy, snap it up fast. I found my copy in the bargain bin for the princely sum of 50 cents. Naked Lunch remains his most accessible book. I first read it when I was 16. Also, the Red Night trilogy needs to be read in order, Cities of the Red Night, Place of Dead Roads and The Western Lands.If you can track it down RE/Search 4/5 features Burroughs and contains a short story by him. Howl was the best thing Ginsberg ever wrote.

4. The Hat

Yeah, it took me more than one read to read naked Lunch and have it make any sense. It jumped around quite a bit, and got confusing, but after a while I could comprehend it on many levels, so it got easier with each reading.

I'll try to track down that issue of RE/Search. They always put out something interesting. I have the two they did on "Strange and Unusual Music" and the "Modern Primitives" one. (Modern Primitives has an interview with a conceptual Canadian artist known as "Man Woman" who is no longer with us, but is a VERY interesting read. I won't spoil it for you. You'll either be on his side and champion his cause when he was alive, or get upset very quickly, but his cause was controversial, but his heart was definitely in the right place. I met him before he died over 20 years ago, and he was the kindest, warmest, most patient, and most gentle person one would ever care to know or meet. Be warned though. The nature of his cause can be very jarring at first, but you'll understand that his heart really WAS in the right place)

Fun fact: Did you know that the people who put out RE/Search originally in the late 70s put out a punk magazine in San Francisco called SEARCH AND DESTROY? It mostly focused on what was happening in the San Francisco/Bay Area at the time, but also had articles on the national/international punk scene as well.

I think they even put out a "Best of" book compilation at one time, but I don't know how readily available it might be. That was a while back, so it might be out of print, and hard to find, but if you can find it, get it by all means, especially if you want insight on what the punk scene was like back then.

5. 1xAntifa

Nov 22, 2019
    I had all the Re/Search books from 4/5 until Angry Women and Modern Primitives [I cannot remember which was last. Unfortunately the indie music store that stocked themgot taken over by a chain and no more books were available. I heard that Vale and his partner had a messy split and fought over who owned Re/Search brand not long after that. They both wound up doing spate things under ?/Search. I knew about Search and Destroy, they were flogging photocopied sets at an exorbitant price in the nineties. I've since seen the complete set being sold at Abebooks for a cool $1k. There are copies of 4/5 being sold at Abebooks starting from $25 USD [I was looking for a copy of the Industrial Culture handbook for my nephew, who is an industrial/noise artist]. I'm kicking myself for having sold my collection for chump change to pay the rent.

:antifa:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
  6. The Hat

Yeah, Vale and his wife's divorce was messy, and there were legal issues concerning who owned the name/rights to RE/Search.

Sorry that corporate capitalism took over your independent bookstore and ruined a good thing. That's just as bad as a store being forced to shut down due to economic downturn. (Lost a lot of good independent second hand record stores and book stores in Chicago because of that)

Somebody out your way was selling counterfeit copies of S&D? How much did they want? Oh, well. there's an opportunist around every corner, I suppose. And Abe Books had a complete set for a grand? Problem is there are people willing to pay that much. I wish I still had my copies. I didn't have every issue, but I had issues 6-10, and that's where I heard about The Avengers and Dead Kennedys. I know William Burroughs was on the front cover of one of those issues, but I can't remember if it was issue eight or nine. (I think they interviewed him as well) Again, lost in transit, through life.

Best of luck finding 4/5 and The Industrial Culture Handbook.

Like I said, if you don't want to be bothered with Google, try Duck Duck Go.

5 members have read this thread this month

1. 1xAntifa
  2. The Hat
  3. Red Menace
  4. punkmar77
  5. CULTO DEL CARGO