Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Why don't I like Crass?

Discussion in 'Music, punk scene & subcultures' started by jjk3546, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Shuei

Shuei Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 19, 2010

Definitely (believe me i've tried writing something like crass just for the training).

I enjoy Crass music as well, though the lyrics and over-all expression is the best of the band

2. jjk3546

jjk3546 Experienced Member Experienced member

Jan 29, 2010

This topic has made it for quite a while. Damn.

3. Corporate Deathburger

Corporate Deathburger Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 29, 2010

I get you man. I LOVE the lyrics, the message, everything about them except the music.
    My favorite song is actually Asylum. It's so raw and poetic. Eve Libertine's voice is amazing. But they're still not ever playing on the record player.

4. Corporate Deathburger

Corporate Deathburger Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 29, 2010

Have you tried Jeffery Lewis? His album '12 Crass Songs' is amaaaazing. I love it. :D

5. Zasei

Zasei Member New Member

Oct 8, 2010

I get behind Crass because of their message. I get off on Joy de Vivre or maybe Eve I'm not sure, on a mic just trashing the Jesus concept. Probably consider them experimental mood music, very cerebral and not something you can dance to. It's weird and I'm not sure if this has been posted here yet cause I'm a nub, but some folk singer named Jeffrey Lewis has an album out called "12 Crass songs" where he plays guitar and sings some of their hit songs, check it out you might get a different feel for their message.

(((((I should have read the previous message.)))))))

6. Bakica

Bakica Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Feb 21, 2010

well someone wrote this and made me laught http://www.angelfire.com/il/chitown/fightcrass.html :lmao:

he/she thinks that crass destroyed punk scene. i think punk scene was asleep and crass just woke it.

Anyway, I dont understand what is he talking about. punk was made to talk about politics. Punk was made to be anticapitalist, antisocial. Punk aint about making money. and know some stupid kid says that theres nothing wrong about earning money from punk music. oh well...

Anyway i have read that Steave Ignorant was somewhere, cant remeber where and that the ticket cost £15. and on youtube, in comments someone said that the ticket cost 35 euroes for steve. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS8Kl282 ... re=related down in comments, dunno if i should belive). What has happened with him ? its better for him not to sing anymore

7. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    @ Bakica that guy is full of shit, what does he speak for the world or maybe just his backwards little corner of the universe? Punk seems to be in decline in some areas and and surging in others, and that would include all sub-genres.

8. abfallmensch

abfallmensch New Member New Member

Nov 23, 2010

well said my man! ( i would consider myself a masochist in that regard)

9. JackNegativity

JackNegativity Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 9, 2010

I didn't like Crass' music for the longest time. I gave it a shot on multiple occasions. I liked the message but musically it didn't sound like the stuff I was mainly listening to at the time, so it was rough. I couldn't believe the shit people gave me for it (aren't WE supposed to be the ANTI-fascists?!). I can say, though, that after being exposed to it a while it started to grow on me. Still can't say I like ALL of it, but some is actually pretty good. Big A Little A is catchy as all fuck.

You don't have to worship their music to respect what they've done for punk and the world.

10. littlebro

littlebro Member Forum Member

Nov 23, 2010

i like crass. cant work the fuckin download though o_O

11. JackNegativity

JackNegativity Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 9, 2010

12. DirtyRottenThrashPunk

DirtyRottenThrashPunk Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 11, 2010

I like the song "Do They Owe Us A Living?", and of course historically they were insanely important, but there are sooo many bands I'd rather listen to at any given time. I tend to not really get into the early anarcho-punk bands...much prefer anarcho D-beat and Crust bands.

13. ZAchAtTacK420

ZAchAtTacK420 New Member New Member

Nov 29, 2010

I never really liked Crass on a musical level. I cringe when I hear them... That being said, I do dig a lot of other anarcho and absolutely love crust.

14. DirtyRottenThrashPunk

DirtyRottenThrashPunk Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 11, 2010

It's funny because that person seems like the exact kind of "punk"/poser who gives us all a bad name...

15. Shuei

Shuei Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 19, 2010

I think Crass is hard to get if you're coming from the very hardcore punk genres like Crust and such... Personally, my favorite genres being post-punk, i'm more used to a sound closer to Crass with the noise elements, drums and repetition (though Crass does have a unique sound).
    That's just my theory

And about the fight Crass article... Well, as many before me i usually get annoyed when anyone tries to dictate what punk is, and also in this case.
    Crass was punk in my eyes, but so were The Clash, Sex Pistols and all that. It's different ways, different ideals and as scenes, very different ways of living punk. I know some here disagrees, but i just see it as separate scenes when it comes to ideals...

16. cockneyreject

cockneyreject Member New Member

Nov 22, 2010

I actually think it's pretty cool you speak your mind, after all didn't Crass say something about staring up a superstars arse? Crass have actually got quite a few free jazz influences so that may have something to do with why some people find it hard to listen to.

17. persona-non-grata

persona-non-grata Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 9, 2010

i do like crass for their music because it's not music as far as playing the right note's goes it's more like ok this is what i feel and this is the way i can express that on this instrument i'm holding witch to me is what music really means

18. Random Person From There

Random Person From There Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 27, 2010

Crass are fucking epic, it's a good thing they died in 1984 but it has left parasites in its tracks trying to suck off the fame Crass made. I love their music (Feeding of the 5000 and Stations of the Crass in particular) I cannot stop listening to them, they force me to start pogoing. I admit that at first when I was one of those Sex Pistols and Exploited fanatic, and heard Crass's Punk Is Dead, I developed a grudge. But then after reading about Anarchism and getting myself more and more into the theory, I took a shot at listening to Anarcho-Punk, and what better band is there than Crass? I download the Feeding of the 5000 album and sat in awe; the turning point in my beliefs and band ethics.

Now, they're a concept of how every worthwhile band must be, non-profit, giving their whole money to the needy/bands/labels/zines/strikers and taking barely anything, spreading a message in plain sight through their lyrics with no cryptic shit it's straight to the point, no copyrights, performs loads of direct action, etc.

If you're criticizing Crass for what has recently happened remember that Crass died in 1984, not even half of the band has accepted what's being done and if they have/will then they're acting on their behalf. Crass's actions cannot be forgotten and dismissed because of some aging humans.

19. devils_trumpet

devils_trumpet Member Forum Member

Dec 28, 2010

Well ok I like crass both lyrically and musically. Christ the album is my favourite maybe, as for the music part, or maybe stations... The feeding is not my cup of tea. ;)
    I think that what made crass famous was not their music not their lyrics but their their actions, their stance. If you take a closer look on their history you will note it for sure.
    Their stencils, their famous "dial house", and in general, the way the practiced their beliefs, while everyone else was still on theory.

20. davecress

davecress Member New Member

Dec 27, 2010

if you dont like a band its a personal thing you cant like every punk band i think yes sir i will is a terrible record but crass as a band changed my outlook on life when i was a young lad but i still feel the same all this time later dave xx