Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

When punk turns its back on you.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Derek Danger, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Derek Danger

Derek Danger Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 29, 2010

I've gone through a lot of emotional upheaval this year, moved house, ruined a few relationships, stopped seeing many people, stopped going to gigs, stopped going to parties, shaved off my mohawk, etc... And it's kind of highlighted to me just what a cliquey set of social stratas I had belonged to before (as a punk, I guess). Now, people who used to come up to me and say they "loved" me and buy me beers and do all that matey shit don't make eye contact with me in the street, avoid me on transport and are just generally not interested in me. I guess that the two biggest changes I've made this year are that I

1) Don't go to punk-rock shows anymore (although I sometimes go to crust shows)
    2) Don't look like a punk-rocker anymore

It doesn't mean I hate punk music or punks, it's just that I'm starting to see that propagating the image is futile.

Has anybody else noticed that once you stop "being" a "punk" in an obvious way, punks want very little to do with you? Or is it just my city? I guess as soon as I was "out" of the scene, a new wave of teenage punks were just starting to pop up with their (overtly sexist) bands (which I guess the punks around here have no problem with), so maybe there just isn't enough love to go around for somebody who isn't "trying" as hard as these kids?

I'm just pretty lonely these days and I wondered what any of you dudes do when punk turns its back on you?

2. rise and resist

rise and resist Member New Member

Dec 23, 2011

punk didn't turn its back on you the people did and i don't know where your from but it seems like the people are fuckin fake... it may be because where i come from there are few punks so we all stick together. appearance is the biggest mistake that young kids make if someone dosen't have boots and studded jackets there not punk. my best friend looks like the most metal dude you'd ever meet but hes a hardcore punk fan. don't fuckin let people get you down listen to the music you obviously love it.

3. minmax1

minmax1 Member New Member

Dec 24, 2011

I'm a punk and almost all of my friends are not punks, I have 1 punk friend. It's interesting though because the majority of my friends share a "punk" like ideology. Like you know a support anarchism and a general dislike of authoritarianism. So I guess my friends are punk at heart, it's just i'm the only one in the group of friends who dresses punk.

4. Bentheanarchist

Bentheanarchist Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Dec 10, 2010

Punk isn't something that turns on you. Punk isn't just one person or one group of people. It is tens of thousands of people and thousands of groups of people and they are not all the same. Everyone is different. The people turned on you not punk. Don't care what they think; they are just a bunch dumb punks anyway. You don't have to be a punk to listen to the music and have fun.

5. @narcho-Skinhooligan

@narcho-Skinhooligan Experienced Member Experienced member

Nov 25, 2011

I agree with my homie Ben.
    & Fuck those fake ass fashion punx! I don't think those assholes are "Punk"! Ur da real deal Holyfield in my book Buddy! Ya don't need a fuckin Hawk ta be a Punker!
    Cheers :beers: we still luv ya here at AP! We will be the judge of what & who is "Punk", cuz we're just that fuckn bad ass! & u my Comrade are one of us! How is that for Elitism!! hahahahha! :lmao:

6. Ivanovich

Ivanovich Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 31, 2010

Yeah, most punks don't look like punks, and most that look like punks aint punks. Punk is where the heart is, or something like that.

7. @narcho-Skinhooligan

@narcho-Skinhooligan Experienced Member Experienced member

Nov 25, 2011

spot FUCKIN on Ivanovich, spot FUCKIN on!

8. iflewoverthecuckoosnest

iflewoverthecuckoosnest Active Member Forum Member

Jul 20, 2010

Sounds to me like you've got a shitty scene up there. Fuck 'em, you've got your own life to lead and your own personal evolution to experience, and if they honestly think that once you stop behaving like a punk on a superficial level you have lost your legitimacy as a countercultural person, they're exactly the shallow, Hot Topic brand of punk that isn't worth any of your time.

9. sali(e)

sali(e) Experienced Member Experienced member

Aug 22, 2011
     United States
    Hey, maybe look from another perspective. The punks in your town are just helping you grow some thicker skin. Just cause you give up the clique, please don't give up on yourself. They are not in charge of punk, :ecouteurs: All the previous saids, sound good here. Why did you shave your hawk? So sad, but, it's only hair! Look what the Indonesian punks have to face up to, just to love their punk songs and sing them in the street, and they aren't giving up. You gonna throw it away? Punks do not need other punks to justify their status. That is silly. In the comparison of Indonesian punks, I guess it's more heart braking to have the people you least suspected (local punks) exile you, rather than the obvious enemy doing it. Good luck, keep your chin up. Punk for life!

10. Sti

Sti Experienced Member Experienced member

Dec 26, 2011

It sounds as though you found punk and have become disenchanted with the glorious pre-ejaculated notion that is their fashion sense. You are not alone. You have the conviction of knowing something true that is all we need (aside from doing something with that knowledge).You seem as though you have a true inside and an understated outer. They sound like they have a fuck ugly inside and a spikey outer. It's not that you have left them it's that they are yet to join us. You cannot be an authority of antiauthoritianism without constant reevaluation. That's what the us's sham of democracy is. "anything that is anything can be so easily institutionalized, itself contained by itself. A poor parody of itself" -C.R.A.S.S.