Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

What's the deal with...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JackNegativity, Jan 11, 2011.

1. JackNegativity

JackNegativity Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 9, 2010

...primitivists? I'll probably get some hate from this, but fuck it I'm no stranger to being hated.

I see these people on here and infoshop, spouting off about technology, pharamones (sp?), misanthropy etc.

Is it really evil to use soap and wear deoderant? If that's the case, I'm one evil bastard. 'Pheramone traitor" is something i've heard them say before.

And honestly, isn't it a little hypocritical to be sitting on your computer in your "criminal" permanent house/apartment going on the internet to seek out other humans to talk to about how much you hate civilization and...humans?

If these people are so down for what they believe in, why aren't they forming minimally populated hunter-gatherer clans and squating in a cave somewhere?

Personally, I'd rather advance the human race then set it back a few thousand years. I like not dying of the flu and other minor shit. I'm down for sanitation. I like being able to wipe my ass and not risk it being with poison ivy. I like having the option of not smelling like a festering armpit or swampcrotch all the time. Electricity? Fuck yes! Internet? Duh! Refrigeration? Damn straight! Human interaction? Most def! Music? Entertainment? Video games? The printed word? Give me all that!

Don't want what I want? That's cool. Log off your computer, put on your D.I.Y. loincloth you know you have lying around somewhere and go prance around the woods with a pointed stick for a while. Maybe you'll fall on it.

/rant

Bring on the haters.

2. Carlos

Carlos Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 1, 2010

Dude i agree with you, and i also hate how people lump anarchist with primitivism.
    Anarchism is supposed to increase human freedom, if we go back and live life before the age of enlightenment then that would be ridiculous.

3. sludgefuck

sludgefuck Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2010

do you wash your hands often/sanitize?

4. JackNegativity

Nov 9, 2010

When I get shit on them or if they smell funny (I'm a finger sniffer...my secret is out).

5. sludgefuck

sludgefuck Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2010

:lmao: I never wash my hands, If I get shit on em I usually forget about it and end up not washing (I like 'em smelly ;)) . The only time they get clean is when I bathe which is like once every 3 days haha. But it's good for your immune system though, I almost never get sick and I eat shit that's been left out for like days at a time.

6. Jamesxjames

Jamesxjames Member Forum Member

Jan 11, 2011

Whatever, pheremone traitor. Just kidding. yeah this is in direct response to my postings on the confess your consumerist ways forum, which is the only reason I even feel the need to respond, as I am not really a primitivist, though I was close to being one a few years ago, and I still see things from a somewhat primitivist point of view. still I busked and used trains though. I feel like breaking anarchism down far enough it becomes primitivism, depending on how one defines anarchism. A lot of what people talk about when discussing anarchy is all the things we shouldn't do, and what we should do is left untouched. And people take this as a reason to become vegetarian/vegan or whatever. But to pretend that agriculture doesn't harm animals is to lie to ourselves. I don't hate humans and I don't care about animals, as is obvious by my current lifestyle, living indoors, working, buying food, and supporting the system of domination and control. Hierarchy comes from civilization. In primitive tribes, there is far less of a gap between the rich and the poor, and people who are superior physically and mentally excel, of course, but there is only so much more that they can attain.

"Dude i agree with you, and i also hate how people lump anarchist with primitivism.
    Anarchism is supposed to increase human freedom, if we go back and live life before the age of enlightenment then that would be ridiculous."

good point. Civilization affords us freedom. World travel, for example. but in anarchy who is to say people could have world travel? Some could, sure. but it seems that less could. I know this is an anarchist forum, but I have to say, not many people have the skills and knowledge required to fly a jet, let alone build one. As we live now, even a retarded person with stub arms can save up their disability checks and get a ticket to just about anywhere. If I learned how to build and fly a jet, there is nothing that retarded person could do to get me to take them somewhere, realistically speaking, in an anarchist society. There are downsides to anarchy, but still it is preferable to what we have now. I think the deal with primitivism is just taking it to the next level.

Really I'm not a primitivist though, I too wash my hands when there is shit on them. Shit can make me sick, I hear.

But overpopulation is caused by agriculture. Directly. Ha. Hopefully all that makes sense, to people who aren't me. Really this is just rhetoric though.

7. Jamesxjames

Jan 11, 2011

not with soap though, theres already chlorine in tap water.

8. Jamesxjames

Jan 11, 2011

"I like not dying of the flu and other minor shit."

also many primitivists hold that most fatal diseases are caused by domesticated animals, but of course something like that would be hard to verify, and any wild humans would know what poison ivy looks like.

9. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    Primitivism is a big joke, i never got into it, but i'm not against it... As long as their live their own way without wanting to convert others and impose their views... If they want to live in a primitivist way they can do it or just setup their own primitivst communities... But actually i'm pretty sure the vast majority of primitivists couldn't even support this way of life... I always found it funny to see primitivist talk shit about technology on the internet using a computer...

10. DirtyRottenThrashPunk

DirtyRottenThrashPunk Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 11, 2010

I think primitivism is pretty stupid. Primitivists using the internet and forming bands, recording music, using electric instruments, etc. is even stupider, though.

11. Arjay691

Arjay691 Experienced Member Experienced member

Dec 11, 2009

I think Primitivism is okay. It's never something I had ever been interested in, let alone live my life that way, obviously, considering I AM sitting here posting on this thread from a computer. But yes, Primitivism is hypocritical when its someone on the internet complaining about society. A true Primitivist would be living in a makeshift home somewhere in the wilderness. THAT'S when Primitivism is okay, considering that's the only real way to live the life of a Primitivist.

So, to whoever wishes to live their life like that, more power to them, as long as they're doing it right. And yeah, as long as they're not pushing it upon other people.

12. JackNegativity

Nov 9, 2010

@James

It really wasn't directed at you (as i don't recall you referring to yourself as a primitivist), but our previous conversation did remind me that i had been meaning to say something for a little while. It's something I've been thinking on, I apologize if it seems like I'm jumping at you. It's actually mostly at someone on infoshop. That forum is so dead i could have posted this there and gotten a speedy response in like 4 months.

I can completely agree there are things we need to do to sustain the health of the planet (and thus, the health of humanity). I'd just rather not live in a cave or whatever the hell else the primitivist people would have me do.

I love camping, but the best part is coming home and taking a shower.

13. JesusCrust

JesusCrust Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Apr 17, 2010

I'm not a primitivist, but I still feel civilization should be reversed a teensie bit.

14. JackNegativity

Nov 9, 2010

Yeah dude, my rant is at the computer-using primitivists. The true ones wouldn't be reading this. If they want to go live like that, fine. I'm just sick of hearing about it.

15. DirtyRottenThrashPunk

DirtyRottenThrashPunk Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 11, 2010

Same. Mostly I just think people should stop taking up so much space with all our cities and buildings. However scientific and medical technology I want to stay.

16. snookams

snookams Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Feb 7, 2010

jack, i love you.

but i do think being close to nature is good. of course certain technologies are good as well. my adopted philosophy, as cheesy as it is; strive to survive causing the least suffering possible. we shouldn't have to harm ourselves in order to live a "better" life, but at the same respect we shouldn't have to destroy our mother to accumulate useless shit. it's all about balance in this world we live on.

17. JackNegativity

Nov 9, 2010

Yeah, balance. I can get with that.

18. snookams

snookams Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Feb 7, 2010

heh yeah been reading the tao alot...good stuff i'd recommend it to any anarchist.

19. Malignance_is_bliss

Malignance_is_bliss Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Jun 10, 2010

every time I see this topic, I always think of Seinfeld.
    I hear you, Jack, deodorant is a necessity, as is personal hygiene of any kind.

as for diminishing civilization, I agree with Dirty.

20. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    I wonder how Hakim Bey and other primitivist philosophers would print their books without technology. lol