Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

What role did music play in the counter culture?

Discussion in 'Music, punk scene & subcultures' started by winnie, Dec 12, 2012.

1. winnie

winnie New Member New Member

Dec 12, 2012

What role did music play in the counter culture?

2. nclpw

nclpw Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

May 25, 2012

I think you have to explain your question!

3. THEBLACKNOVA

THEBLACKNOVA Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 11, 2011
     Mexico
    If you mean the counter coulter of the 60's (in the MOFO USA?) i think it did a great deal, music was used to share ideas, messages and possibilities... That the main stream media could not or would not speak about...

I've seen recent media reports and read articles about the current uprising in the world and the role of music in them as compared to the 60's. I believe the conclusion i got from the current discussions on the topic was... music did not play as an important role as it did back in the 60's... social media was the new vehicle to deliver the ideas, messages and possibilities.

People did not need Bob Dylan or some other musician to tell their story or struggle in a song, people could now by pass the musician and address each other and the world themselves...

Like here on APN we no longer need someone to write a catchy song that tells the story of the clashes against the state that happened in mexico on the first of this month. We can now know about what went down that day, how it played out, it limits to that action, the good, the bad and the ugly of it, and future possibilities, and now a world wide community can engage in the conversation :D

COMMUNITY IS IMPORTANT.
    IT TAKES A VILLAGE
    TO START A RIOT.

4. TiffanyB

TiffanyB Member Forum Member

Dec 8, 2012

but dont forget that we cant stop writing real lyrics! just because we have social networks and APN and other shit to express our ideology, but ask some kid what he thinks of Vladimir Putin or Gore Vidal or to name all the people the president appoints Secretary of... is they wont know, ask a kid whos on the internet to describe the new information on Assassins Creed 3 and they know but ask them when we started the iraq war (desert storm with George Bush Sr.) theyd be dumbfounded, there are still kids on itunes or going to hastings who dont read whats posted or dont read the paper, and through informative and protest songs like Anti-Flag still does people can become aware and then look it up and like you said know what went down, how it played and so on. Even if its not counterculture and anti establisment you can still write lyrics that resonate with peoples lives letting them know there not alone, you can read but sometimes its nice to sit back and listen to a song that says it like it is and doesnt hold back. but if we crumble to this shity repeat of pointless lyrics that dont hit the hearts and soul of teens, people and this world, all were left with is carbon copies of nickleback and justin beiber. plus i do type on here when im bored and saddly got internet cus no damn jobs have paper applications anymore (which is stupid because someone walking into the store shows more of an effort than someone who sent 10 emails to 10 different jobs in 10 seconds... but what do i know) but social networks have really taken the social out of it, groups and groups of kids use to go to the club or a park and hang out and talk, now its "hey...whats up...makn pizza lol...*burp* lmfao" and kids on facebook writing "went to mall today! RACHEL OWNES<333!!!" and i cant stant it! drives me fucking crazy!!!!!!!!!!

5. nclpw

nclpw Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

May 25, 2012

Its true that the internet is making us more isolated, but its a good way to communicate and spread information. At least now we won't have to depend on our so-called "fair & balanced" news channels and papers by getting first-hand information when something happens.
    I agree though, I can't stand pop stars either, but sadly the things they sing are exactly what's hitting peoples hearts nowadays, if not they wouldn't be raking in millions on that mindless garbage.

I think theblacknova pretty much summed it up though, it did play a big role in the counter culture before, and it always will, because it gathers like minded people.