Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Wearing Leather

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mrNILEpat, Feb 10, 2013.

1. mrNILEpat

mrNILEpat Experienced Member Experienced member

Nov 27, 2012

What are your thoughts on wearing leather. As in jackets and shoes or what ever else. Im a vegetarian and believe in animal rights but im unsure about wearing leather. :/

2. vegan kid

vegan kid Member Forum Member

Dec 12, 2012

I don't wear it because I'm vegan. But even when I was only a vegetarian and not a vegan, I still didn't wear it. Well, I did have a pair of leather shoes right when I turned veggie, but I milked them for all their worth since I didn't want to waste them (lol pun). I even still use a leather wallet I've had for years because I bought it before too. It's the act of buying it that supports the industry after all. Once it's already purchased, it doesn't matter what you do with it anymore. If you had it before you were veggie or someone gave it to you, it's okay theoretically. If you stole it, that's even better. :D

But the problem is I don't know why a veggie would want to walk around with leather on, because the appearance alone does not project an animal-friendly image. But I guess if you have something long-lasting like a leather jacket and you don't know what to do with it because you really don't want to wear it, you can always just give it to someone.

Long story short, consuming leather isn't really different from consuming meat, dairy, etc IMO.

3. Bakica

Bakica Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Feb 21, 2010

Well, let me put it this way : they kill an animal, take its meat and eat it and make you a really nice coat out of its skin. You, as a veggie, claim that eating meat is wrong. You can then ask yourself how is wearing leather acceptable ? I hope you see my point.

4. nmara

nmara Active Member Forum Member

Dec 1, 2012

if u already own it or if its second hand then in my oppinion its ok but otherwise i cant condone the killing of animals so someone can look cool

5. mrNILEpat

Nov 27, 2012

I understand. i just bought a leather jacket at the goodwill for like 13 bucks. but i wasnt exactly thinking about my animal friendly mentality at the time. And then i thought, it could be fake leather. im not sure if it is or not. id have to check. but whats the difference between real and fake leather? like whats fake leather made from if its not the hide of an animal.

6. PoshyX

PoshyX Experienced Member Experienced member

Nov 17, 2012
     United States
    maybe i'm just trying to justify my own decisions, but i don't see anything wrong with wearing animal-derived clothing that you owned prior to going vegan/veggie. i hate letting things go to waste for the most part, so i try to get the most out of each article of clothing i own, leather boots, belts, and wallets included. i haven't consciously bought anything containing animal products since i turned vegan, so in my mind i'm in the clear as well as anyone else that's in the same boat. it's not like i have much choice in wearing anything else to keep my pants up or my feet dry in the snow at the moment without asking the parentals for new shit, which i'd rather not do.

7. Sick Boy 77

Sick Boy 77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Mar 29, 2010

All the faux lather clothing I've bought never lasted. I have a leather studded belt that has lasted me for 10 years now. My leather combat boots have lasted me for 8. Plus I have looked at the vegan boots and they are expensive. Sorry, but I paid $45 for the boots I have now. They are steel toe and were almost brand new. The vegan ones I looked at were $250. If they come cheaper then send me a link but I have looked and can't find any for under $250. I haven't bought any leather clothing in a long time anyway. I don't really like the idea of wearing an animal's skin but the durability and not wanting to waste have I have comes into play.

8. Harrison

Harrison Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 11, 2009

I'd rather have leather than fake leather. At least leather comes from something natural, that being an animal. I could be wrong but I believe that most fake leathers are made of plastics which hurts the earth more in the long run by taking much longer to decompose once it's thrown away. Plus real leather generally lasts a lot longer.

It kind of goes back to industrialization hurting the earth the most IMO. Along the same lines of the argument that eating industrialized soybeans to avoid eating meat is just as bad because it still destroys the land (and thus all the animals that happen to inhabit the land).

Like organic leather is probably the best thing you could wear IMO.

9. nmara

nmara Active Member Forum Member

Dec 1, 2012

i just got to thinking too and in alot of cases you might have to weigh your beliefs, like if your anti corporation and believe in animal right do you wanna spend 40 plus dollars a year on shoes that will aid corporations and help them continue to run their sweat shops in third world countrys or do you wanna spend 100 bucks on a pair of doc martens that will last you forever however youd be supporting the leather industry.. so theres no right or wrong thing to do you just need to decide for yourself what the right thing to do is......... :ecouteurs:

10. vegan kid

vegan kid Member Forum Member

Dec 12, 2012

You don't need to choose between either. You can buy second-hand or dumpster dive or something.

And buying beef or leather is a lot worse than buying soy, because soy was most likely used to feed the cow. Most of the grains grown in the US at least are used for animal feed. So when you're buying beef or leather, you are probably buying industrialized soy, oats, corn, etc. too, unless it's organic, grass-fed or whatever. You're right though, I think fake leather is pretty bad for the earth.

11. Harrison

Harrison Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 11, 2009

Oh yeah, industrialized beef is hands down one of the worst things for the environment ever. I was just saying that I know a lot of people eat industrialized meat-free food and think it's animal cruelty free and green when it's the opposite. Non-industrialized anything is always way to go. Just sucks that a lot of organic stuff is just greenwashed and not any different. Hard to tell what's really organic and what's not unless you buy local which I reckon is the best thing to do.

12. homegrown terror

homegrown terror Experienced Member Experienced member

Jun 13, 2012

13. sarinkiss

sarinkiss Member New Member

Feb 28, 2013

I just call it as I see it, I've got three pairs of doc's that have stood the course of about ten years, one is starting to give a little but otherwise their all pretty good and in fair condition. I bought two pairs of army boots last year at amazingly low costs and their both going to last a long time, I'd never buy a new pair of boots that where leather. I take it as if someone else already paid for the suffering then I may as well take advantage of it, I buy faux leather jackets though, I've got a old mascot biker leather that is tatty as fuck but it's had like fourty years of life nearly. It's a thin line between taking advantage of suffering and cruelty and making a animals life mean something personally once it's already been skinned, as fucked as that sounds.

14. saph

saph Active Member Forum Member

Feb 28, 2013

I'm not vegan (vegetarian) but tried not to buy any leather. Though, I wear some leather items (shoes, belt) I bought years ago.

15. mrNILEpat

Nov 27, 2012

What necessarily determines if something's industrialized or not?

16. zakkman666

zakkman666 Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 20, 2012

I have a leather jacket, a leather belt, leather wallet and some leather combat boots and thats the extent of the leather I own.

17. Agenda

Agenda Member New Member

Feb 20, 2013

one would think that being vegetarian ment opposing killing animals for their body parts....

leather/fur/meat, no difference! dont need it... but of course, dont throw it away if you already have it, thats just stupid!

18. zakkman666

zakkman666 Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 20, 2012

I'm also not a vegetarian or vegan.