Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Veganism

Discussion in 'Anarchism and radical activism' started by A Better World, Mar 28, 2010.

1. dwtcos

dwtcos Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 22, 2009

I've been a vegan for about three months I think (possibly a little shorter) and have had no problems. I've regained the 2 pounds of weight I needed to no longer be considered "unhealthy" and have had a much clearer and more guilt free concious about what I eat. I must admit I occasionaly consume whey (found in some bread products, dairy related in most cases) but being that my mother and father provide me with food and have helped me so much with my dietary preference there is simply no way I would be bratty enough to complain about non-vegan breadstuff.

2. Probe

Probe Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 30, 2010

I have a question.
    Can Vegans eat Cheese or milk? or cream?

3. dwtcos

dwtcos Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 22, 2009

No. This is what differentiates them from vegetarians. Also no eggs, honey or other animal products.

4. Ivanovich

Ivanovich Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 31, 2010

Vegetarians don't eat cheese, milk or cream. Lacto-vegetarians do. Vegetarians don't eat any animal products. It means 'vegetable only', not 'no meat'. The difference between vegetarian and vegan is that vegetarian is just what you eat, it's a diet. Vegan includes any other use, such as wool, leather, etc, not just food. It's a lifestyle. Most food labels don't understand this though. I even seen stuff marked as vegetarian that got fish in it.

5. Probe

Probe Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 30, 2010

hm...dont punks usually wear leather jackets?
    what about that?

6. Ivanovich

Jan 31, 2010

Leather jackets not vegan. You can get plastic 'leather' jackets though, boots similar.

7. Shuei

Shuei Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 19, 2010

I'm lacto-vegetarian.

Should probably go vegan, but as it is, i can't even make food normally. I suck at it. Either i'm close to burning down the house, or i'll eat pasta with... pasta.

8. Rathryn

Rathryn Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 21, 2009

Oi! What about denim? :p

9. Carcass

Carcass Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 12, 2009

This is a really interesting talk about veganism and nutrition.

10. Bunny

Bunny Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 13, 2010

As mentioned earlier, their are lots of fake leather/fur products out there and good alternatives such as denim or surplus store army jackets. They' re also vegetarian friendly shoes and jewelry. When it really gets hard is cosmetic products (soaps, lotion, etc). I want to learn to make my own because when you can find them, they're expensive :/

11. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    most punks who go vegan aren't gonna just throw out their leather, i mean if the already bought it, throwing it out is like the animals died to make it for nothing.

12. Anom

Anom Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Dec 21, 2009

I had a pair of leather underground boots before i went vegan, i had bought them second hand, but to not feel too much like a hypocrite and to still not have them go to waste i gave them to a non vegan friend. It took me a while but now i have a new pair, from Vegetarian Shoes. They are at least as good in every way as the leather ones were, but vegan and with soles from old car tires.

13. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk Member Forum Member

Mar 21, 2010

yeah boots are a bugger
    non leather ones seem to last no time

14. Ivanovich

Jan 31, 2010

Well, I dunno about that. I got pair leather boots bought by accident few months ago, they already falling apart.

15. ASA

ASA Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 2, 2009

they call that globilisation, good discussion(*not vegan).

16. bagodonuts6

bagodonuts6 New Member New Member

Feb 9, 2010

i didnt read the whole thing cuse im lazy but, if your worried about money just dumpster dive for all your fruits and veggies thats what i do. you may have to buy some things like tofu and such but i try to steal/dumpster most things if i can. if you live by a good health food store look in their dumpster the one where i live is small and they barley throw out much. :thumbsup:

17. Mike Generic

Mike Generic Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 29, 2010
     Canada
    Nothing helps better for giving up things like eggs or milk like working in a grocery store. From the sheer volume of rotten eggs and milk I've had to deal with, now whenever I see a glass of milk or eggs cooking, all I can smell is rotten eggs/milk.

18. Bunny

Bunny Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 13, 2010

Its a good point. I know people who donate their old leather goods instead of continuing to wear them themselves. That way the animal didn't die in vain and they don't feel guilty about wearing leather.

19. LucidStrike

LucidStrike Experienced Member Experienced member

Nov 1, 2009

Dumpster dive. :D

It pisses me off when people in wasteful post-industrial countries say bein' vegan is too hard, when I maintained a vegan diet even when I was homeless. If you live in an urban or suburban area, it shouldn't be all THAT much trouble, especially if you're an organizer with a network of resources to help you. Hell, wherever you are, learn to grow and find shit.

I guess we'll just have to make it easier for those who really do have a difficult time of it, but some people are just not putting in enough effort.

Veganism and anarchism are ultimately inseparable. Any self-described anarchist who wills not to be vegan is a hypocrite. Yeah, I said it, and I fuckin' mean it.

I'm admittedly iffy on freegans who only ingest dumpster dived animal products.

Of course, we don't have to clash aggressively about it, but it's an option.

20. miserablist

miserablist Experienced Member Experienced member

Feb 11, 2010