Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

truth about globle warming

Discussion in 'General political debates' started by rude-boy, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Milan

Milan Experienced Member Experienced member

Mar 13, 2010

That can't be anything but a guess,
    for me, I don't trust such numbers too much,
    I mean, guessing what the CO2 emission was in 1750 is already hard to guess,
    but 650,000 years and 3,000,000 years are just guesses that couldn't possibly be accurate

2. Rathryn

Rathryn Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 21, 2009

Why not?
    Look at the emissions of certain things now, look at how many of those things were present in that time and extrapolate the emissions accordingly.

3. Alex Distro-y

Alex Distro-y Active Member Forum Member

Sep 1, 2009

Ya it may be hard to believe but there is methods is which this can be done. There is many ways in checking the amount of Carbon Dioxide as well as many other gases in atmosphere thousands of years ago, By looking at permanent glaciers in Antarctica for example the Vostock Ice Cores show the differenciation in both temperature and CO2 records from 450,000 ybp years before present (present being 1950) due to stratigraphic methods of layers being laid down annually you can diffenciate between the year and period and eras just look at a cliff face to see what I mean there will be different layers which can be see through simply different colour layers of rock. You can even do this with the soil in a field with different soil compostion bearing the past histories. Another Method is through dendrochronology which is the study of the chronological dating of tree rings, and with high levels of CO2 comes greater growth with in plant life.

4. dwtcos

dwtcos Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 22, 2009

Yeah we just watched a really cool documentary on the glacial and tree dating in science class.

5. xOutspokenx

xOutspokenx Active Member Forum Member

Mar 7, 2010

As Alex said, there are plenty of ways in which the levels of CO2 are calculated down to the pretty fine details. It's no guesswork.

That is what a lot of global warming skeptics always through about, the impossbility of calculating CO2 levels in the past. Which generally betrays the complete lack of substance and general ignorance of those who doubt sound scientific theories on gobal warming.

6. Alex Distro-y

Alex Distro-y Active Member Forum Member

Sep 1, 2009

One thing I used to always battle with was thing like: The Medieval Warm Period certainly had higher temperatures atleast in Europe as now. The Arctic was warmer in the 1930’s than it is now. So how can this be global warming now and not then.

But one thing I learned is there are so many variations with the planet that are constantly changing these consist of orbital variations - Eccentricity, Axial tilt and Precession, the albedo effect and Solar variations .
    As things begin to change then it will start getting really messed up as the amount of CO2 that has the possibility to be released is massive, as ice melts it effect the albedo (the reflectivity of surfaces of the planet) and of course we cant help but look as the human cause worsen deforestation as well as more consumption.
    Fun times a head. Cant wait :ecouteurs: :lmao: :ecouteurs: