Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

"Tough Guy Straightedge"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Raise Your Fist, May 11, 2010.

1. seitan

seitan Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 7, 2009

its nothing to do with my "standards", its you that is showing an alf banner (which i think is great!) yet upholding what the alf is fighting against.

2. Corporate Deathburger

Corporate Deathburger Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 29, 2010

It was my mom's and it was free. What do you want me to do with it? Burn it?

3. DirtyRottenThrashPunk

DirtyRottenThrashPunk Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 11, 2010

Fuck those tough guy straight edge militant assholes, any kind of fundamentalism is bad, and actually BEATING SOMEONE UP for not living like you is the opposite of what Punk should be.

4. Sabotabby

Sabotabby New Member New Member

Nov 4, 2010

Yes, we think you should burn it, If you are a true believer in what the ALF stands for. you would not go so far against YOUR OWN BELIEFS, as to wear a garment that was paid for, although not by you, by the death of another innocent being.

5. vAsSiLy77

vAsSiLy77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jun 21, 2010

YOU think he should burn it, i think you can't be serious about that, especially about the "true believer".
    has the ALF degraded into a sect or religious order? i hope not.

6. JackNegativity

JackNegativity Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 9, 2010

Apparently they want you to give it a funeral. Nevermind the fact the animal has been dead and the garment made for a number of years already. I thought wasting shit was bad. I'm not about to go out and buy a $200 new leather jacket or anything, but if someone gives me a hand-me-down pair of leather boots I'm all over that shit.

Would it be too far off to suggest "recycling" leather? Like taking old boots and jackets etc nobody wants and making new things like wallets and belts out of them? Does that sound cracked out to you?

It's like animal testing for pharmaceuticals (sp?..it's early). I'm all for banning it, but if we do...do we just quit using what we've already learned as well?

I'm not shitting on anybody's beliefs. I'm genuinely curious as to how this would work.

EDIT: Maybe the straightedge thread wasn't the best place for this discussion. I have no problem with edgers. I was one myself once upon a time. Even then though I hung out with potheads and beer swilling skinheads and punks. Respect is a two-way street.

7. ama-gi

ama-gi Active Member Forum Member

Jan 5, 2011

Any subculture that is explicitly about things you don't do is inherently stupid. I guess I'm rape-edge because I don't fuck people without their consent(or anyone for that matter, asexual go!) Why do you have to draw Xs on your hands and wear shit with XXX all over it? If someone offers you a smoke/drink/hit just say, "No". Why does it have to be an integral part of your public persona? I don't have a problem with people doing that, I just think it is stupid.

8. JackNegativity

Nov 9, 2010

Why do we draw circle-A/E on shit? Why do we wear pins/patches/get tattoos that proclaim our beliefs? A person's beliefs and how they choose to express them ARE a part of their persona, like it or not. If you truly believe in something, why not proclaim it to the world?

9. ama-gi

ama-gi Active Member Forum Member

Jan 5, 2011

I don't wear a circle 'A' that is not part of a band patch because I'm not an anarchist. I'm an atheist but I don't wear anti-crosses/anti-star of davids/anti-FSMs. I still wear anti-nazi stuff because it is a badge from the 90's when nazi boneheads used to beat up punks like myself for being anti-racist and white. Other than that I wear things that are to the affirmative or things I've done. I'm a former Marine and I wear a Eagle Globe and Anchor on my collar. I wear a circle E because I believe in equality for all. I'm asexual and I don't do drugs but I don't put anything about that on my vest, jacket, or pants. Also, I don't put a Stone Brewery patch or a American Spirits patch on my jacket just because I habitually abuse their products.

I honestly don't care what people put on their stuff. I think it might be stupid to focus their public persona on what they don't do, but again I really don't care. Also, this is on the internet so it pertains more to the theoretical than what someone honestly gives a shit about in real life.

10. vAsSiLy77

vAsSiLy77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jun 21, 2010

and i guess you don't wear it because you're proud of it - i don't mind if you are - but to give a sign recognizable by other people with a similiar experience. voila: xxx all over the place means join me - and that's why the lone straight edger in our acquaintance does not wear anything else than the usual punk stuff. he thinks the xxx-part of his attitude is a personal decision, not a public thing and he's quite pissed about doctrinaire excesses.
    for myself: i don't wear anything except black and at protests or other actions a red-and-black bandana to show the colours of my anarcho-communist/syndicalist belief.

11. JackNegativity

Nov 9, 2010

Ok, dude. I wasn't meaning for it to sound like "why do YOU wear such and such...", more as "Why does anybody wear such and such...". But it's like you say you don't care what people wear on their clothes/body but then you say they shouldn't and that it's stupid. That would mean you DO care. If you didn't care how could you have an opinion on it (or at least one you care enough about to take the time to type it out)? Then you're like " I don't wear this or this or this on my vest" and in the next sentence talk about how you DO wear stuff on your vest. Your anti-nazi (and i feel you, I was a young punk in the 90s too) stuff, your marine insignia, your circle E---all mean to you what the X means to the edge kids. It's the same thing. Unless I'm reading something wrong here ...

Not speaking for anyone else, but i care about the same shit online as I do in real life.

And i have to ask...is being asexual as bad as it sounds? Not ripping on it, just curious.

12. QueerPunk

QueerPunk Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Dec 29, 2009

Ok I wear a leather jacket that I bought off a mate of mine for cheaps, I have a shitload of other leather stuff as well, which I look after very well and as far as the concept of killing animals for their skin....well considering cows that are killed all the time to keep the beef sales going, you may as well use the skin for something, waste not, want not. My grandmother had a very similar attitude, if she was making soup with chicken she would pick the chicken out after making the broth and keep the meat for sandwiches for the next few days and would keep the fat that rose to the top to fry onions in for the next meal.

I cannot say that I am vegetarian at all let alone vegan however I will go through stages that may last up to a week or so when I just don't bother with meat for health reasons, seasonal reasons, laziness or lack of cash. I tend to not eat red meat in hot summer weather because I feel like shit afterwards. I grew up with my father being a vegetarian and he still is and has been since 16 so I respect it.

As far as I am concerned I define "Edge" for myself as being the following: No drugs, no booze, no smoking. Very simple and I won't get violent with people for drinking or whatever because they should have the right to do what they please with their own body even if it is to their own detriment however I will get bitchy if I have people trying to push me into doing anything that I don't want to do and I will get bored quickly if all the people I hang out with, do nothing else and talk about nothing else but getting wasted.

13. DirtyRottenThrashPunk

DirtyRottenThrashPunk Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 11, 2010

Wow, that's an old post...and one I mis-spoke in, as I AM fundamentally anti-war, anti-racism, anti-homophobia, anti-sexism, etc.

Tough guy edgers are one of the worst things in the Punk scene though...the only thing worse are Nazi skins. And Street Punks/Chaos Punx/Shock Punks are just as bad as tough guy edgers.

14. Caps

Caps Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 3, 2010

I'm not sure if that's how the leather industry works. I don't think it's just a bi-product. However, considering you're not veggie, I can't see how it's inconsistent with your ethics.

And your approach to edge is similar to my approach to veganism - I live it, I'm happy to talk about it, will defend my beliefs and act on them when appropriate. However, I am not a propagandist trying to convert others. As long as I'm not given a hard time, I have no issue with meat eaters. I don't think they're right but I accept it's somewhat subjective.

15. BlackParad0x

BlackParad0x Member Forum Member

Mar 3, 2011

lame lame
    msg to short

16. Bentheanarchist

Bentheanarchist Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Dec 10, 2010

Being a huge marijuana supporter. I believe StraightEdge is mostly conservative conservative excluding most Dischord bands and some underground post-hardcore bands. The parts of Straightedge I know are conservative are the Boston Straightedge hardcore scene, Youth Crew, Militant Straight, and modern Straightedge. I am also an Atheist, so I think Religion and Krisna are stupid, and therefore I think of Straightedge as religous garbage. I am Vegitarian hoping soon to become a Vegan, but I am not about to kill a lot of people because they eat meat, and sex is just a natural part of life. Being against it is the most stupid conservative religous bullshit I have ever heard. This just my opinion.

17. nike

nike Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jun 19, 2011

is this religious tendency really that important to them? - i thought only those vegan reich idiots were using scraps and leftovers from everything between hinduism and buddhism for their distorted view of the worlds.
    besides that, this whole dogmatism and especially the weird position against sex for fun (even in actual relationships) smells a lot like catholic fundamentalism, inclusive celibacy and complete self-abandonment to things-that-never-were and a dead and gone victim of roman public torture-terror... :o

18. skulldrix

skulldrix Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jul 9, 2011

I just hate how they call it " straight edge", that already implies the idea of militancy, I mean seriously straight and on edge.

Sounds like absolutists stuff.

19. Bentheanarchist

Bentheanarchist Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Dec 10, 2010

Hare Krisna Straightedge:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shelter_(band)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Joseph_(rock_singer)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burn_(American_band)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/108_(band)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Is_the_Reason
    and the biggest religous fool of all
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Cappo
    Krishna-core Records:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal_Vision_Records

20. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Holy shit! That is the most lucid and relevant shit I've ever seen you post Ben. :)