Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

"Tough Guy Straightedge"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Raise Your Fist, May 11, 2010.

1. Raise Your Fist

Raise Your Fist Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Apr 11, 2010

What do you guys think of those stupid militant straight edge people?
    Im straightedge, and it really gives us a bad name. But check this out.
    The founder of straightedge. Ian Mackeye. As you probably already know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRcxW_pFN9o

Edit: Embed didnt work. Sorry!

2. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    Straight Edge in theory is great (i don't claim it but i am drug free.) Being militant in any way in my opinion is lame, and not likely to win anyone to your cause. I grew up at a time when the straight edge scene was huge, it has since died down a bit, and the sXers at my school were total jock knuckleheads, and some of them i saw at parties, drinking because after all it was the weekend :p It's great to hold values and want to share them with others, but being a dick about it is fucked.

3. Valsira

Valsira Experienced Member Experienced member

Dec 14, 2009

Ugh, yeah for me the whole point of straight edge is doing what's right by yourself and living how you want, rather than how other people think you should live. Militant straight edge cocks are going against that completely by trying to force their values on other people and saying that their way of living is the right way. Fuck that.

4. statuliber

statuliber Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 13, 2009

I'm straight edge and I try to convince other people as well (who doesn't?), but you can't force them, and militancy of course sucks!

5. New Face In Hell

New Face In Hell Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 22, 2010

I can't stand those assholes. Fortunately there aren't any in my town.

6. QueerPunk

QueerPunk Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Dec 29, 2009

The only Straight-Edge guy I know is fairly chilled out and laid back although if you looked at him you wouldn't think he was...covered in tatts.

He only used to give me shit about smoking from time to time but half-heartedly, his wife drinks from time to time.

I would seriously consider the whole thing myself but I like the occasional drink every now and then but I tend not to drink as much as I did in highschool or uni.

7. NGNM85

NGNM85 Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 8, 2009

I absolutely can't stand these dickheads. Unfortunately, Boston has a long history of SXE zealotry. It goes back to Al Barile and SSD and it's alive today in the form of FSU thugs.

8. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    what i find interesting about the whole straight edge thing, is Ian Mackye basically said through his lyrics that he was doing what he felt was right for him. he wasn't trying to start a subculture or anything, and there were no rules, yet people took his words and built one anyways.

Also the sXers I knew were so quick to turn on their own if one of them drank, or as they called it, 'sold out.' where as if a friend of mine started using drugs or drinking, i'd be there for him and just turn my back in disgust.

9. Bunny

Bunny Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 13, 2010

Yep, boston is full of them, and they are nothing less then pretentious assholes. Although I am straight edge, I don't associate with the straight edge scene here, i did it strictly for me. I just don't view it as something to be snotty about or try and convert people to. If people ask, I tell them, if they don't, i don't bother to.
    I know a lot of people who like a drink know and then or to smoke a little weed here and there and they're perfectly fine people. I have no reason to try and convert them, I may not agree with their choices, but in the end there not mine to make.

10. Raise Your Fist

Apr 11, 2010

Yeah, Theyre ruining it for all the other people who want to live a clean life,
    and belong to something. A group is fine, just like punks and antifa skins and
    what not. No one really knows the true meaning of straight edge anymore.
    In some places straight edge is considered a street gang. You can go to jail
    for having straight edge tattoos. Hopefully too many dont reach eugene.
    Theres wannabe militants here, hopefully they dont take it any further.

11. nofutureforyou

nofutureforyou Member Forum Member

Apr 28, 2010

Bunny, I agree, also I'm about two hours from boston up north here in nowhere NH. Anyways, the second the little group of straight edge boys found out I broke edge (over a stupid promise and a washed up friendship) they looked at me differently, and were pretty close to disowning me. And I was edge longer than any of them. Plus I was the only straight edge chick in my town from grade 8 to early 12th (5.5 years or so).

The scene around here is starting to turn into a bunch of bull anyway, if I hadn't of broken edge; I would have turned my back on it anyway. There's too many new rules and too many jerkwads turning it into a fad.

12. Raise Your Fist

Apr 11, 2010

Shouldnt let other peoples' bullshit rules apply on you. its all about
    bettering your own health. If they want stricter rules they should start
    a whole new group, you know?

13. Vegetarian Barbarian

Vegetarian Barbarian Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 19, 2009

Being militant in this sense, yea i agree is lame, but being militant in other ways is not, dont lump all militant action into one category.

Funny... i just watched this clip like 5 minutes ago before i came on here. But Ian Mackeye is a pretty smart man. I like what he says. Though i would find it easy as hell to sleep at night if i wrote lyrics about killing people and then people did it, but thats just me.

14. nofutureforyou

Apr 28, 2010

Heh, I know all edgers aren't the same, sorry if it seemed like I was implying that.

15. Spider

Spider Experienced Member Experienced member

Sep 3, 2009

To quote the great band depicted in OP's Avatar

"It's time to stand up for what you believe
    Have no fear of your critics
    be proud the life you lead
    You maybe different from your friends but if their true they'll understand
    Hold your ground
    Be yourself and be the best you can. "

16. Cocytus

Cocytus Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 14, 2009

I am militantly anti humanity, and pro animals. If you cant stay 100% true to a cause, why would you even claim to support it in the first place if you arent deadset on keeping it real so to speak?
    This is why the anarcho movement has failed time and time again, people "break edge" so to speak and tich thier ideals, mainly out of fear/thier friends not thinking thier cool anymore.
    sXe on the other hand is a total cowardice crock of shit, and is an excuse for assholes to start fights with people way more legit than they are.
    For the record, Fuck F.S.U. as well with all thier patriotic bullshit.

17. nofutureforyou

Apr 28, 2010

Thanks Spider, but I'm not crying about what happened to me. If they don't like it, well tough shit, what's done is done. I made a promise to a friend that I'd smoke with her because she thought her boyfriend might be abusive while being high. At the time she had never been around him stoned, he wanted to smoke in front of her to prove that he doesn't turn into a jerk, and at the same time wanted her to try smoking too. In the end I royally fucked myself over; I'm seeing it now as she was a decoy to get me to break edge (the group of kids I was hanging out with wanted me to break edge anyway).

And I still say that there are too many new ludicrous rules coming in, and too many kids turning it into a fad. I still live the same lifestyle though.

18. drfaustxxx

drfaustxxx Active Member Forum Member

May 1, 2010

I am a proud straight edge and I feel that militant violent straight edges have ruined the movement. The "crews" are nothing but self righteous tyranic groups of pissed off mislead kids. Ive noticed most of the people that break edge are tough guy edges who get into it to have an excuse to fuck with everyone around them. I am pro decriminalization of all drugs I have a strong ethical and moral disagreement with the use of them but they are simply a personal lifestyle choice. I can only protest the people that market them and shove drugs and alcohol down society throats beating up users will not do anything but make the cause seem sillier and less likely to be considered remotely legitimate.

19. drfaustxxx

drfaustxxx Active Member Forum Member

May 1, 2010

I hope to also make it clear I am not claiming all militant groups are violent I am very much pro passive militant action (vandalism of property, organized protest, creation of united groups and other non destructive forms of being militant). For instance what crass did in the London subways was certainly militant but they were creating not destroying.

20. Carcass

Carcass Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 12, 2009

I think we need to draw a distinction between being "militant" and being an asshole. Most, if not all, of us are pretty militant in that we'd support armed struggle against the state. The asshole straightedge kids with whom it seems everyone here has had at least one bad experience are not being militant, they're being bullies.

I have a lot of really close friends who are straightedge. They are some of the kindest, caring and most dependable people I've ever met. It's a real shame that most people's first thought when straightedge is mentioned are macho creeps in 7th Dagger shirts.