Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Thrash

Discussion in 'Music, punk scene & subcultures' started by Caps, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Caps

Caps Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 3, 2010

Though there were a few political thrash bands (Nuclear Assault, Sacred Reich, Toxik and a lot of the UK bands), I know its not really political or anarcho music. However, there are some definite musical paralells and I was wondering if there were any fans. I imagine there must be more than just me, especially with a member called DirtyRottenThrashPunk. So, anyone keen? Who are your faves? Anyone checked out any of the newer acts (Municipal Waste, Evile, Warbringer etc.)?

I'll be honest, my music collection probably has more thrash in it than anything else. Probably because I got quite into the UK scene. However, I'll leave the discussion here if it interests no one.

2. Mike Generic

Mike Generic Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 29, 2010
     Canada
    I'd be interested in hearing about some more political thrash bands as well. The only bands I can really get into are Municipal Waste, Knifehammer, some D.R.I., and a few other songs here and there.
    There are a couple decent thrash bands around where I live, namely Rectal Carnage and Scum Fuckin' Ramblers, but seeing the same 2 bands over and over again gets a little nauseating after a while.
    Two of the bands I've been in have played with Knifehammer, who are pretty awesome. Unfortunately, the only stuff of theirs I've been able to find online is here: http://www.myspace.com/knifehammer
    If anyone has any of their stuff, it would be greatly appreciated.

3. DirtyRottenThrashPunk

DirtyRottenThrashPunk Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 11, 2010

The more extreme side of Thrash/Crossover is awesome. And a lot of great Crust is pretty Thrashy too, so that's cool. And on the newer bands, Municipal Waste's early stuff is awesome.

Also, even though my name has Thrash in it I'm most into Crust and Grind...I use thrash in my name just to mean music that "thrashes around", fast stuff, and I was on a little Thrashcore kick when I signed up here (and Thrashcore did also help spawn Grindcore and Powerviolence :D)

4. trevor9849

trevor9849 Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 12, 2010

I don't really know any political thrash bands

5. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    It's all about DRI's first two albums, before they went metal.

6. JackNegativity

JackNegativity Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 9, 2010

Sacrilege \m/

Almost everything is better with female vocals.

7. jjk3546

jjk3546 Experienced Member Experienced member

Jan 29, 2010

Fuck yeah. Looks like we have some similar faves.

8. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Cryptic Slaughter......duh

9. Caps

Nov 3, 2010

Dealing with It is awesome. \m/ I still like DRI's more metallic stuff but agree the earlier work was better.

Sacrilege are a pretty special band. What about Holy Moses or Detente, for more female-fronted thrash?

Yes, indeed! Just a massively important band. Got to be a big precursor to powerviolence.

There were a few of them and a lot of thrash bands did songs that were sort of political. However, it was never particularly serious in its politics. I mean, Nuclear Assault were one of the more consistently political and Danny Lilker also jammed in the very un-pc SOD (though he kept the pretty right-on political core when he started Brutal Truth). Some of the UK bands had pretty punky roots (Sacrilege, Onslaught, Cerebral Fix).

The UK scene had a lot going for it a while back but it has lost a bit recently. Still, I'll just chuck a couple of my mates' bands that I thought were pretty good:

http://www.myspace.com/nebukadnezza - a bit different from the rest because they incorporate death, grind and crust into their sound. Nice and brutal. They basically became the support band of any extreme metal act that came through London town. Recently reduced to a two-piece.
    http://www.myspace.com/damnasonline - became on of my favourites. A really Vio-lence vibe to some of their stuff. They're packing it in very soon.
    http://www.myspace.com/mutantmetal - one of the bands who seem like they might 'make it'. Just won 'Best Unsigned Band' in the readers poll of Terrorizer (Extreme Metal Mag that Ian Glasper occassionally writes for (who wrote Burning Britain, The Day the Country Died etc.))
    http://www.myspace.com/lifelessboro - Crossover-like thrash.

There are loads of others but its probably pointless me really making an extensive list.

10. DirtyRottenThrashPunk

Nov 11, 2010

Best Thrash/Crossover ever!

11. d-beat95

d-beat95 Member Forum Member

Jan 7, 2010

X2

12. punkmar77

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    It's nice to see that people have come to appreciate them, I used to push their music on other punks and would get some really apathetic responses, but I always knew that those skate thrash kids had turned into something special, along with that other California skate thrash band turned epic: Christ On Parade.

13. Caps

Nov 3, 2010

I'll be honest, I recognise the name but little more. Never checked out their stuff.

Any of you lot ever checked out Ludichrist? Their Immaculate Deception album was top quality crossover.

14. punkmar77

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Yup, I remember bootlegging Ludichrist t-shirts on my high school's silk screening machine... :ecouteurs:
    check out the Christ On Parade downloads here...

15. Severedheadofstate

Severedheadofstate Member Forum Member

Feb 14, 2011

Hi big thrash metal addict here, there are only a few political thrash bands and mostly these guys are from a hardcore/punk background and their songs aren't purely tackling shit like that. off my music library here are a list of some of them:
    Vendetta from germany is the first one you need to check out they mostly sing about politics,war,society etc.. they aren't like most german thrash that's on the harsh anti-christic side more similar to the bay area SF shtick..

also check out
    Ice Age
    Anacrusis
    Hades
    Exumer
    Darkness
    Assassin
    Oppression
    Overdose
    Protector(anti-facism,politics,death metal stuff)

:ecouteurs:

16. DirtyRottenThrashPunk

Nov 11, 2010

Best (non-crossover) Thrash is bands like Dark Angel as well as most of the extreme German and Brazilian ones :)

17. Severedheadofstate

Feb 14, 2011

Silly me, thought we was talking about politi-thrash hahaha, then my favorites would have to be Dark Angel too. also Razor(canada), Rigor Mortis(TX) and Demolition Hammer :beer:

18. DirtyRottenThrashPunk

Nov 11, 2010

Dark Angel had some socio-political kind of lyrics...they certainly had anti-religious (though now the old singer is Christian I guess) and anti-sexist lyrics in a few songs (can't remember which, I haven't listened to them in a while).

19. Severedheadofstate

Feb 14, 2011

They had a song about pedophilia too on their Leave Scars LP hahaha

A rapist of naivet�, a killer of virginity
    I stand for the death of innocence!!!
    Young bodies cannot stand the pain
    I'm torturing their little brains
    I am the death of innocence!
    Only sickened filth, disgusting scum
    Would do the appalling deeds I've done
    Crushing with psychotic malevolence!
    I can't control my gross addiction
    Feeding mental pain infliction
    Fall to the death of innocence

I guess Don Doty and Ron Rinehart had different songwriting styles :)

I've been looking for Don Doty for 4 years now one the best songwriters in thrash metal and his vocal style is just wonderful(how he fits so much in one song is a mystery to me) I've tried asking all the old thrash people that knew him,tried tracking him down via internet and messaged everyone named Don Doty on facebook. no luck.

anyways I'm getting off topic sorry. :D

20. Mike Generic

Mike Generic Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 29, 2010
     Canada
    I'm surprised I forgot about Razor, they're awesome, and one of Chris and Todd from Propagandhi's favourite bands. I'll post a rip of the tape I have soon.