Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

the radical history of Melbourne, Aus.

Discussion in 'Anarchism and radical activism' started by butcher, Jun 4, 2010.

1. butcher

butcher Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 8, 2009

Ok, I know there a quite a few fellow melburnites on this forum, so thought I'd start a thread to share some stories of the radical history of this city of ours. Of course, feel free to contribute your own ones (looking at u Queerpunk).

I'll endeavour to reprint or write stories here on the Tramways dispute, the dole army, Union Solidarity, the Squatters Union, the IWW and the (successful) fight against conscription during WW1, Chummy Flemming, JA Andrews, the Melbourne Anarchist Club, and more as I have the time.

This first post is a brief overview of the fight for the 8 hour day in Melbourne. It is very important to note it was here in Melbourne where the working class first won this right. The below text is from an article i wrote for Melbourne Black #2, a monthly anarchist zine i co-edit. it is not entirely relevant, but sections are. I shall expand on this text in the future. I have put the relevant section in bold. I hope you enjoy it.

available: melbourneblack.wordpress.com
    sauces:
    Anarcho-Syndicalist Federation, May 1st: The International Workers' Day, 2009.
    The Herald, Melbourne, April 19, 1856; Reprinted in Ebbels, R (ed.)., The Australian Labour Movement, 1965, p. 65.
    The Herald, Melbourne, May 1, 1856; in Ebbels, R (ed), 1965, p. 68.

2. butcher

Sep 8, 2009

A History Of Squatting Campaigns in Melbourne
    By Iain MacIntyre

this is an edited version of a talk given by Iain at Camp Eureka on Monday, 26th April 2010. The original unedited version is available online at melbourneblack.wordpress.com

[​IMG]

3. butcher

Sep 8, 2009

Internment and fascism in Australia during World War 2 / The case of Francesco Fantin

During Australia's involvement in World War 2, internment camps were set up to imprison those with fascist or pro- Japanese political ties or beliefs. however, the net was flung rather widely, as such Italian migrants were targeted and imprisoned without much concern for their politics. The case was such for Francesco Fantin, an Anarchist and anti-Fascist organiser. His brother was reportedly a fascist, this created enough confusion or reason to imprison Francesco. Within the internment camp, an obviously hostile environment for an anti-fascist to find oneself in, he was murdered by a fellow internee. A little known story, but an important one for a political movement which tends to engage in hero worship (Durutti, Mahkno, Marcos, et al) a lot whilst advocating 'no gods, no masters'. (not that these ppl were 'masters', just that is important to acknowledge all anarchists and the work they do).

From Fantin Reading Group:
    fantinreadinggroup.wordpress.com/

Anti-Fascism and internment: The case of Francesco Fantin
    by Paul Nursey-Blay
    www.takver.com/history/fantin_fransesco.htm

A brief(er) biography also by Paul Nursey-Blay
    adbonline.anu.edu.au/biogs/AS10154b.htm

4. butcher

Sep 8, 2009

The Dole Army

"It's time to End our Isolation - it's time to arm the unemployed"
    "John Howard wouldn't know a battler if he reversed over one in his limousine."

THE.BEST.HOAX.EVER.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0fSeLZ0Jj4

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxVk5L_J-BQ

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ap_8bPl8DI

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q625xwjl_GI

5. t-bag

t-bag Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 24, 2009

Quite a fascinating read,i must say. I May have to do some research on sydney when i get the time.

Peace.

6. butcher

Sep 8, 2009

thanks heaps
    checked the Dole Army vids? do it, fucking hilarious. :lmao:

7. butcher

Sep 8, 2009

Chummy Flemming (1863 - 1950)

On being expelled from Trades Hall Council in 1904, Fleming made the following statement: "...I am going to be expelled because I am an anarchist. I am in the company of Tolstoy, Spencer and the most advanced thinkers of the world. Workers will never get their rights while they look to Parliament. A general strike would be more effective than all the Parliaments in the world. I have got a fine stick and I am going to use it. Expel me if you like. I am an anarchist. We have been hanged in Chicago, electrocuted in New York, guillotined in Paris and strangled in Italy, and I will go with my comrades. I am opposed to your Government and to your authority. Down with them. Do your worst. Long live Anarchy."

Chummy Flemming - A Brief Biography
    by Bob James

sorry bout all the numbers, i can't be fucked going thru all the text and getting rid of the referencing.

8. butcher

Sep 8, 2009

ALL POWER TO THE DEPOTS!
    The Melbourne tram dispute and lockout 1990 (Excerpt)

The history of the January-February 1990 tramways dispute in Melbourne, Australia which saw transport workers, under anarcho-syndicalist influence, taking control of the trams and running them for free before power was cut off by the bosses. Includes a short introduction with information about the anarcho-syndicalist tram workers grouping involved.

Complete available at: libcom.org/library/melbourne-tram-dispute-lockout

Please note: It may interest ppl to know that Sparks is still operating, largely NSW based now though. Their website is here: sparksweb.110mb.com/
    They have archived editions on the page, but only as far back as 2007, good luck hunting copies from the time of the strike down ;) they are around...

9. butcher

Sep 8, 2009

sauce

10. butcher

Sep 8, 2009

Anti-Fascism in Melbourne: 1990s

Sauce