Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

The Oppressed - Fight For Your Life(The Best of The Oppressed) - 1996 (U,K)

Discussion in 'Non-punk anarchist music' started by Bentheanarchist, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Bentheanarchist

Bentheanarchist Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Dec 10, 2010

http://www.mediafire.com/?v4mzzzznmw4[/url]
    1. Victums
    2. Work Together
    3. Run from You
    4. Joe Hawkins
    5. Don't Look Back
    6. Urban Soldiers
    7. Magistrate
    8. Ultra Violence
    9. Gun Law
    10. Riot
    11. Government
    12. Fight for Your Life
    13. Leave Me Alone
    14. Skinhead Girl
    15. Evil
    16. We Can Do Anything
    17. Skinheads in Sapress
    18. Hurry up Harry
    19. Substitute
    20. Nazi Nightmare
    21. B-N-P (Full of Shit)
    22. Nazi Skinhead

[​IMG]

siarpi likes this.

RECORD INFORMATION

Fight For Your Life - The Best Of The Oppressed
    Release Date : 1996
    LISTEN ON YOUTUBE FIND VIDEOS MORE DOWNLOADS

The Oppressed Biography

WEBSITE
    One of the first skinhead bands in Europe with strong anti-fascist message from Cardiff, Wales, UK. Start in 1981, splitt in 1984. Then reformed in 1994.

"THE OPPRESSED Oi! STORY. 1981 / 202?.
    Oi! STORY - THE 80s.
    March 1981, Russel (DUCKY) Payne is released from Borstal and I get released from Prison. At the time we didn't know each other and it's just coincidence that we were both banged up for violence. Anyway, Ducky (GUITAR), his brother Ronnie (BASS) and Gary Tier (DRUMS), all Cardiff Skins, along with Martin Brennan (VOCALS) a valley Skin, form an Oi! band. After tossing a few names around, including FORCED OPPRESSION, they decide that THE OPPRESSED fits the bill. So it was that with not much ability and a ton of enthusiasm the boys set out to have a ball. While all this was going on I was forming INSANITY SQUAD with me on guitar, my brother Dom on bass, his mate Vince King on vocals, and a nutter called Ed Flemming on drums. Me and Vince was Skins and Dom and Ed was Punks so that made us Cardiffs first Skunk band. We played a few local gigs, recorded nothing and fell apart after trying play a gig so pissed we couldn't see straight. Back at Duckys house Ronnie had left the band. No big story, he just wasn't into it. Looking for a new bass player they ask my mate if he wanted to join but he couldn't play a triangle so he suggested me. I'd seen their first gig and I remember telling my missus how "I should be in that band". So Ducky, Gary and Brennan eventually turn up on my doorstep and make me an offer I couldn't refuse. I suggested Dom on Bass with me as second Guitarist and the boys were all happy. This was around Xmas 1981 and this line up lasted about a year. Brennan and Gary had decided to leave so I took over vocals and we found the Kid, Lee Jenkins, to take care of drumming. Lee was from Risca, about 20 miles out of Cardiff, a 16 year old Skin who told me "I'm fucking brilliant" when I asked him if he was any good, and "course I have, that's why I'm fucking brilliant" to "got a kit?" This line up lasted about 2 years and recorded nearly everything issued in the eighties. Almost all our gigs ended in a ruck (boys will be boys) and eventually we just got pissed off with whole thing. We did get together in the studio with Juan Garcia, a punk from near Cardiff on drums. We recorded 3 cover versions but played no gigs. So that was it for the eighties. Less than 4 years but it seemed like a lifetime......
    Oi! STORY - THE 90s.
    After the split in '84, I spent the next 6 years setting up and running my Oi! Records and Ska Records labels, helped to establish S.H.A.R.P and in 1987/8 I put together The Rude Boys with my brothers Dom and Adrian (R.I.P), and 3 sax players. By the end of the eighties the Rude Boys had fallen apart and the labels were struggling. There was a baby (THE Oi! BOY) on the way so I give up on music and got a job. I put The Oppressed back together in 1994 after some Fascist shite had been putting up C'18 (Ni**ers Out) stickers in my area. I tore off the stickers and thought "fuck this" and set out to use the bands profile to Fight Fascism again. For the next 2 years me, Dom and Adrian recorded some Anti-Fascist records including the benefit E-P "FUCK FASCISM". We played a few local "Shows for the Boys" including our farewell gig with the Warriors which was filmed for the THEY THINK IT'S ALL OVER - IT IS NOW video. Although this was our farewell gig we received an offer we couldn't refuse, to play the Camden Irish Center for ANTI-FASCIST ACTION (Oct' 5th 1996).The Business had a gig wrecked by C'18 because they wouldn't have C'18 provide security. The Fascists then announced that no Oi! bands could play London without C'18 security. The lads from A-F-A said "FUCK THAT" and arranged a concert for us. Floyd was now in the band on guitar and this was his one and only gig with us. The Stage Bottles had come from Germany to support us. It was a top night. Just like back in '81, no trouble at all. It was one of our best gigs and, not surprisingly, C'18 became invisible men. 1998 saw us back together with a new drummer (YAN) to do some more recording and we've done nothing since....
    Now it's 2004 and we're back in rehearsals. The latest line up is still me, Dom and Floyd, with Tony Kizmus (ex-Societys Rejects) on drums.. If it all goes well we'll be back for the odd festival later in the year.
    Oi! STORY - THE 00s
    Since writing this we spent 2005 playing all over Europe and did one night in Canada for the Insurgence Records boys which was filmed for the Brotherhood DVD with The Prowlers. I hit 50 in 2006 and decided it was a good time to close the book on the band.
    Now it's 2010 and we're back for another load of gigs....
    So now it’s 2016 and after playing all around the world it’s time to call it a day. Problems with my health and hitting 60 contributed to the decision but I look back with pride....
    It’s now 2020 and at the grand old age of 63 I’ve put the band back together. This time Ducky’s back on guitar. After a 36 year break it’s great to have him back in the band he started 39 years ago. The 2 new boys are Che on drums and Ross on bass. Both boys are from Bridgend and also play in South Wales Punk band The Evil Turkeys. They’re great lads with a wicked sense of humour and fitted right in.
    Cheers one and all.
    It’s been emotional.
    Roddy Moreno"
    Taken from bands FB page

Band members: Roddy Moreno, Ducky (3), Tony Kizmus, Paul Cobley
    Band ex-members: , Dom Moreno, Adrian Moreno, Steve Floyd (2)
    ---

The Oppressed is a Welsh Oi! band that formed in 1981 in Cardiff, Wales. Most of the musicians in the band's various lineups have been skinheads.

The band was founded in 1981 in Cardiff (Wales) with brothers Russell and Ronnie Payne in the first line up, joined by his friends Gary Tier and Martin Brennan. Initially they took the name of Forced Oppression. In the meantime, there was another band called Insanity Squad, heir to Section 20, also formed by brothers Dom and Roddy Moreno, Vince King and Ed Fleming. When they later dissolved the band in December 1981, Moreno went to replace Ronnie Payne in The Oppressed.

Throughout the band's career, the members (especially vocalist Roddy Moreno) openly expressed opposition to racism and fascism[1] — in their lyrics,[2] interviews, on-stage comments and other actions. In 1989, Moreno visited New York City and met a few members of Skinheads Against Racial Prejudice (SHARP). On his return to the United Kingdom, he started promoting SHARP ideals to British skinheads.[3][4] The band has also had ties to other anti-racist groups, such as Anti-Fascist Action. Moreno is a Cardiff City F.C. supporter, and some of the band's songs express that support.

The band has split and re-formed several times, the first occasion in 1984 after which Moreno focused on his record labels, Oi! Records and Ska Records for the remainder of the decade.[5][6]

In 1994 The Opressed reunited again and had friendship with bands such as: Red London, Los Fastidios, Stage Bottles and Banda Bassotti.

Their most recent split was in 2016, but they re-formed in 2020, and continue performing today. The present day line-up is Roddy Moreno (vocals/guitar), fellow founder member Russell "Ducky" Payne (guitar), Che Jones (drums) and Ross Goldworthy (bass).

Read More...
    Disclaimer: this biography was gathered automatically through an external music database and could be inaccurate. We don't control the information found here.

Label - Dojo Limited

Record label and company (copyright owner) associated with the label l2065, operating from 17 September 1990 to 6 April 2010.

UK company number: 02522708
    Incorporated: 16 July 1990 as 'Jewelfuture Limited'
    Name change: 17 September 1990
    Dissolved: 6 April 2010
    Last immediate parent: l133661

Previously a wholly-owned subsidiary of l165737 (later known as l335869).
    Read More...
  2. aint ashamed

aint ashamed Experienced Member Experienced member

Aug 22, 2010
    Male
     United States
    Another band I love to death. I checked out the download link, just to see if it worked, sadly
    it doesn't. I have all their stuff myself, but wanted to do a shout out for these guys, especially
    if link was still good. Free downloads are available elsewhere, but not easy to find because
    standard search engines are filtering them out, as well the ongoing campaign to shut down
    free music downloads. I only have one critique of THE OPPRESSED, They use a fucking drum machine on some of their songs, thankfully only some. aint ashamed

3. The Hat

The Hat Experienced Member Experienced member

May 29, 2019
    Illinois, United States  United States
    Yeah, shame the link doesn't work. The Oppressed was one of the better, more intelligent Oi! bands out there. I've got Oi1 Oi! Music, and a singles comp. Definitely worth searching for. Almost as good as The Angelic Upstarts. (Let's face it, NOBODY can hold a candle to The Angelic Upstarts)

aint ashamed likes this.
  4. aint ashamed

Aug 22, 2010
    Male
     United States

Yes you make a compelling case, especially with songs like_THE MURDER OF LIDDLE TOWERS! Great bands both! aint ashamed

5. 1xAntifa

1xAntifa Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 22, 2019
    Victoria, Australia  Australia
    Check out Bandcamp, you get the lot for a nominal sum.

aint ashamed likes this.
  6. 1xAntifa

Nov 22, 2019
    WTF are the 4-Skins doing here as a recommended band similar to the Upstarts and Oppressed? They were racist dickheads.

7. The Hat

May 29, 2019
    Great song, but I always liked the flipside Police Oppression slightly better.

8. The Hat

May 29, 2019
    I think the recommendation is up there simply as a musical comparison. If The 4 Skins really ARE racist, then I can understand your being upset, as that would be akin to comparing Angelic Upstarts music and The Oppressed's music to Skrewdriver, who made no bones about their politics.

I've always been curious about The 4 Skins and why people think they're racist. I'll be the first to admit my ignorance on this subject, but I've been a fan of The 4 Skins since I was a teenager, and I've never seen anything racist in their lyrics or actions. I know people have interpreted the song "One Law for Them" as a re-writing of a very racist speech by Enoch Powell, where he actually used that term, but I always thought (And perhaps rather naively) that it was a song about class struggle, not about race relations. Also they were included on quite a few Oi! comps in the early 80s, and Gary Bushell, along with Gary Johnson wanted nothing to do with The National Front, BNP, EDL, et al. Also they were never aligned with the whole R.A.C. crowd. Some of those comps also included The Angelic Upstarts who were outspokenly anti racist, so this gets rather confusing for me.

If anybody can provide any proof or evidence that The 4 Skins really were racist (Other than using Enoch Powell's "One Law For Them" speech for an example) I would be appreciative,as I have yet to be shown any concrete evidence as of yet.

Please understand, I'm not being critical, I'm merely asking for proof.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  9. 1xAntifa

Nov 22, 2019
    Their first manager was associated with the national front, Hodges doesn't like "paki's" and one of their guitarists went on to play in Skewdriver, a white power band. Audiences at their gigs had a large component of national front racist skinheads. Their 1st single One Law for Them could be interpreted as a dog whistle for anti-Asian immigration as well as class warfare. They toured with nazi/white power bands in the late noughties as well. One song on their 2010 reformation album was explicitly anti-immigrant. They have always been ardent nationalists/patriots. That alone puts them in the right on the political spectrum.

The 4-Skins - Wikipedia
    Talk:The 4-Skins - Wikipedia
    Fuck the 4-skins! Boycott em'

There was also a short doco on youtube about Mensi and his anti-fascist stance where he goes into the effects of racism and the national front on Oi, that's worth a look if you can find it. It dates from the late 80's, early 90's and was about 1/2 hour long from memory. I found it by searching for antifa and anti-fascist.

I had a best of CD in the 90's. When I first heard One Law, I also interpreted it as being about class war, but then I heard about the national front connection and could see it as a dog whistle. That put them in the suspect category for me. But touring with known nazi/white power bands settled it in my eyes. The 4-Skins were/are a racist outfit, even if they decry being nazi's. Not all racists are nazi.

Hope this helps clarifying things for you.
    And no criticism taken.

10. aint ashamed

Aug 22, 2010
    Male
     United States

Good point about Bandcamp. I believe they actually see to it, that the band shares in
    the proceeds. I've spent thousands on music over the years, and still do somewhat. When
    the download thing came on the scene, I saw all this stuff available, that I had just paid a
    shit load for. Being a certified music addict, I was doomed to that temptress. As addicts do,
    (music only), they delude themselves, and seek to justify their actions. That being said,
    here goes the reasoning_most everything I buy is used, out of print, or rare vinyl, (3-5 hundred
    copies type). So I figured the actual performers of said music never saw a dime of my
    purchases. The clincher thou, was finding things available for download, that I couldn't
    find to buy at any price.
    The take-away here, is, if you know the bands will get their cut, then I will be more
    mindful of that in the future. Especially when I claim to love the band to death, right!
    aint ashamed

11. The Hat

May 29, 2019
    This is really very sad. First of all, thank you for posting the links. Now I have a better understanding about why people are saying they're racist. I was especially shocked to hear that the guitar player went on and joined Skrewdriver after The 4 Skins broke up. I was also sad to hear that Hodges is prejudiced towards Pakis. I didn't know that their first manager was part of NF. They put out some great music, and they were a large part of the soundtrack of my youth, So I don't quite know what to do, or how to take it.

On the other hand, I was taken aback years ago when I learned that Suggsy and one or two other members of Madness were roadies for Skrewdriver before forming Madness. I still can't understand why they would go and form a Ska band after that.

You can't really blame a band for their followers, unless the band itself actually encourages them. I suppose knowledge of where they stood politically could be seen as indirect encouragement, but, on the other hand, there are a lot of racist boneheads in my country who are heavy metal fans. You wouldn't believe how many people I run across with Iron Cross patches at shows. It's equally disheartening to come across these people at Black Sabbath concerts. (OK, I know the band broke up, but the one time I saw them, they were all over the place, and had no qualms about dropping the "N Bomb" in casual conversation)

I also understand the The 4 Skins reformed, put out a new album and one of the songs has very blatant anti immigration sentiments. Again, very sad.

What bands did they tour with that were outspokenly nazis/white power?

No, not all racists are nazis, nor do they belong to any organizations, but it's still sad that they're so ignorant.

There's still plenty of S*H*A*R*P*/R*A*S*H* Oi! out there for people to listen to and enjoy, but reading these wiki links makes me sad indeed.

12. Red Menace

Red Menace Active Member Forum Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Florida, United States  United States
    Suggs was actually roommates with Ian Stuart from Skrewdriver way back. However all of that was long before Ian came out as a Nazi. So Suggs might not have been aware of any of that back then.

13. The Hat

May 29, 2019
    He must've known because the song "Don't Quote Me On That" was in response to an interview he gave to one of the British weekly music papers (I can't remember which one) where he talked about knowing people in NF and was friends with them, but asked for that part of the interview to not be used, but they used it anyway. I think the song was his way of distancing himself from the politics. Madness were still a good band, but I've always viewed them with a suspicious eye because of it.

14. 1xAntifa

Nov 22, 2019
    Madness were from memory all white and played pop ska. The Specials on the other hand were the real deal as were the other 2-Tone bands. That's my two bits worth.

15. The Hat

May 29, 2019
    Right on both counts.
    Funny enough, the only song by Madness that got any attention in the U.S. was Our House which was pretty far removed from their Ska sound, but people who were into punk and new wave in the late 70s/early 80s here knew One Step Beyond. Also interesting enough is that Baggy Trousers got co-opted in the mid 80s, and was licensed, with some lyric changes, for a (Get this) a TOOTH PASTE TELEVISION ADVERT! (I think it was Colgate, but I can't remember. There might be a video on You Tube, though)

I also found it a bit odd, when I thought about it in later years how Madness would attract an almost all white mostly skinhead crowd with a few odd mods and rude boys, while The Specials, and most bands on the Two Tone label seemed to welcome any music lover with open arms, no matter what youth sub culture they nailed their flag to. (Still enjoy the first two albums and early singles by Madness, though)