Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

The New Face Of American Indigenous Radicalism

Discussion in 'Anarchism and radical activism' started by punkmar77, Jan 8, 2011.

1. sludgefuck

sludgefuck Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2010

*sigh* I never supported a mass urban migration, smartypants. I'm saying that they should be presented with opportunities to get off the reservation of their own accord, for people who want it. Furthermore they should be presented with that option in more realistic light, instead of making it seem like a great dishonor. More of an integration program than just shipping them into the ghetto. But thanks for putting words in my mouth.

2. butcher

butcher Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 8, 2009

so, like, only some people should move?

can i put some more words in your mouth?
    oh wait... they were yours! :o

3. vAsSiLy77

vAsSiLy77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jun 21, 2010

He did, but I'm still a privileged caucasian punk with the minimum security of western civilisation covering my back - so how should I know where Noel Pearsons Abo-background ends and where his own assimilation began?
    I guess I was reading his "white guilt..." essay some time ago but I still have no clue about his message.
    Thanks to capitalism and christian religion the question: economical development vs. cultural identity isn't a matter of choice for my humble Anarchist being, I am born into the perpetrator's side - this fact and my personal liberation/resistance against the system is a large part of my identity and determines my course of action.
    But what do I know about how it is to grow up as a native american or aussie abo, selfdetermination and self sufficient way of living as a tradition on one side of the scale - racism and the deal with the devil just to make a living on the other side?
    It's their choice how to live and whatever the decision is - it's the result of being on the "other" side, at least from the devils point of view.
    Being what I am, native tradition and it's values meet some of my personal values - that's why I support the Pine Ridge projects to keep/make the people on the reservation able to make their own decision. Besides this there is the humanitarian aspect too, maybe part of the "white" guilt, but I guess the recipients don't give a shit about this.
    And Gary X made his decision a long time ago, he knows who he is and gave a shit about what I am and I really love him just for that, still kicking bastard that he is.

4. sludgefuck

sludgefuck Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2010

1 The government is depleting the natural resources in the surrounding area, obviously has consequences to the people living on the reservation. The government isn't going to leave because "they have a duty to serve their people" and cutting back on resources just doesn't fit in the budget. There are no legal consequences and they have no incentive to change.

2 the fact that the reservations are more isolated creates complications, like impossible travel during incliment seasons (worses unemployment), and restricts their access to healthcare and other services.

3. Yes, only some people should, like, move. Because if you read what I wrote I wasn't supporting a forced mass migration, I was supporting people taking the initiative to get out. But for that to happen the community themselves needs to stop laying cultural guilt-trips on it's people and realize integration isn't a bad idea at all for those who want it. But they need to be presented with that OPTION.

Keep trying though! :thumbsup: