Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

The New Face Of American Indigenous Radicalism

Discussion in 'Anarchism and radical activism' started by punkmar77, Jan 8, 2011.

1. sludgefuck

sludgefuck Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2010

I use the word "activist" very loosely. It applies to every representative, activist, crackademic, spokesperson, whatever. Anyone who encourages the people to stay on the reservation and focus on retrieving ancestral grounds instead of leaving is the person I'm referring to; and it's not just this lady either, there's a lot of "activists" that do this.

2. vAsSiLy77

vAsSiLy77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jun 21, 2010

Yes, 200 years of genocide and cultural brainwashing, disintegration and racism are easy to solve: just go, just leave it.
    Thank punk you have left troll country to inspire us all with your wisdom... o_O

3. sludgefuck

Oct 18, 2010

what the hell are you talking about retard? Are you just spouting empty rhetoric? I never said it was easy you fuckin half head, I said the people who are supposed to be helping aren't, and the best way to solve these people's problems are to get out of a bad situation. And secondly I'm highly doubtful you fully comprehend what the words you just used mean.

4. vAsSiLy77

Jun 21, 2010

well, you have my sympathy... honest!

5. sludgefuck

Oct 18, 2010

nice try but your "zinger" was totally irrelevant

6. vAsSiLy77

Jun 21, 2010

Is there anything relevant outside that tiny vacuum between your ears? And because it recently worked so well:

7. butcher

butcher Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 8, 2009

:ecouteurs:

8. vAsSiLy77

Jun 21, 2010

oh dear, that butcher - always out for some cheap entertainment with da analytix tea bug...
    what a noisy fart of the founding fathers... :ecouteurs: and sooooo relevant!

9. butcher

Sep 8, 2009

:ecouteurs: :lmao:

10. vAsSiLy77

Jun 21, 2010

[​IMG]
    see - that's a radical... and i guess a part time terrorist too (at least if he's not thaaaaat high on anti-depressiva)

11. butcher

Sep 8, 2009

@sludgefuck
    Gobbledigooks has, up to this point, outlined some of their experiences in working with Indigenous folks in the US and pointed to some organisations working with these communites. In contrast, you have lambasted activists for not encouraging Indig folks to move off Reservations (as you note, a rather difficult task given the circumstances), without once outlining any clear argument as to how this would be achieved. I'm afraid that it is you who is spouting empty rhetoric at this point.

Secondly, you're yet to provide any form of argument as to why moving off reservations would be advantageous to Indig folks. Would, if given the choice, Indig mob in these communities prefer to live in, say, the burbs of New Haven, Connecticut (well, those whose ancestral land it was would :ecouteurs: )? This is not a rhetorical question. I don't know, the situation of the reserves is different in the US than Indig communities in Aus, but i guess I can try and pose a hypothetical based on my knowledge of Indig issues over here... For many of our Indig mob, staying 'on country' is of a high importance to their sense of community and identity, hence the implementation of the NTER legislation in Aus which forced many Indig ppl outta their communities and into 'hub' towns was (as is) viewed as a direct attack against Indigenous people, or more accurately, an intensification of the processes of cultural genocide. Now whilst, from my limited understanding, some reservations are more like resettlement areas it nevertheless may be the case that due to the differing relationships Indig mob may have with the land they are custodians of, and with their communities, it is entirely possible that some may view staying put, and working to improve their current conditions, as desirable compared to 'getting off the reserves'. I repeat, this is conjecture, I'd like you to put forward an argument as to why I'm wrong.

Finally, it is worth bearing in mind that the situations we live under (we as in our class/es) are imposed on us. In my conversations with an Indig elder, he frequently pointed to the fact that his community knew exactly how to take care of themselves, and all they really desired was the space to be able to do so. Creating the space and processes need to enact community self determination (more accurately, using Marxist jargon, Structural, not merely Super-Structural, self determination) is, in my opinion, of the utmost importance. We should be offering solidarity to those undertaking these tasks, not criticising them for not tell ppl to move off the reserves.

12. butcher

Sep 8, 2009

dead link my apple :o

13. vAsSiLy77

Jun 21, 2010

tsoggin' javascript error - have to fix it...

14. snookams

snookams Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Feb 7, 2010

15. sludgefuck

Oct 18, 2010

Well first off no one in this thread has come forth with some great ideas of their own so thanks for putting me on the spot asshole, if I had the fucking answers to everyone's problems it would already be done by now.What could be done to combat their problems? Same thing you would use to combat poverty anywhere else. Education, employment opportunities, and social safety nets.

Why would moving out of a fucking deathtrap be advantageous? REALLY? For fucks sake. The problems of these communities, like all poverty stricken areas, are self-perpetuating. Everyone is the product of their environment, and poverty breeds poverty. If they really want their children to have a real shot at happiness, I would THINK it would be a good fucking idea to move out of a place that's going to ensure your children's unhappiness. Half of these problems are caused by the simple fact of location. But they won't leave because it's been instilled into them that the land they live on is "sacred" and they must appease their ancestors. That's fine if that's your belief, but to say that these reservations are preserving this beautiful long lost culture is bullshit. Those communities' culture are beyond integrated, and in reality they're over-glorified ghettos. So you'll excuse me if I have a practical approach to a problem not much different than a poverty problem anywhere else. I don't see them as "indigenous people", just people. Because that's all they are, JUST people. This idea of race and ancestry, it's all bullshit. These are imaginary lines drawn by people. Once again if that's your belief, good for you but that's where my sympathy ends. If they would like to preserve their culture (as they should), there's nothing these reservations are doing that they couldn't do anywhere else. The communities themselves are self-destructive and exploitative, not to mention external factors.

So they would like to better their environment into an ideal peaceful, self-sustainable, commune? Well no fucking shit I'd like that too (except theirs is race exclusionary, AKA bullshit) but we can't do that ourselves and we actually have the means to do it. Practically vs ideality.

They shouldn't be FORCED out, but these activists are from the outside looking in so it's easy to be an idealist. All I know is if I was in a similar situation (I was) I would be much more interested in getting out of a place that drags everyone down than preserving the honor of 1/16th of my ancestors.

I will say this though I really do admire the dedication of these groups to get back their land, even turning down money that would ACTUALLY BENEFIT THEIR COMMUNITIES GASP!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Strong hearts to the front, weak hearts to the back

By Waziyatawin
    December 06, 2010

So much for your theory on outsiders Sludge.......cheers :beer:

http://www.tcdailyplanet.net/blog/stron ... earts-back

17. vAsSiLy77

Jun 21, 2010

and on demand of gobbledigooks, the retard barely able to comprehend the words he used - at least according to a certain jabbering halfwit still enjoying to stay in the ass spot - some more stuff about a flourishing native community right between canada and the u.s. - the flower of decades of struggle and international support.

http://www.akwesasne.ca/index.html
    Akwesasne
    Land where the partridge drums
    The Mohawks of Akwesasne have become accustomed to the media and public attention that is generated over the issues which emanate from our unique geographical location along the St. Lawrence River. Some have called us the most stubborn Native Community in North America, not only for our enduring commitment to our Ancient Mohawk Territories and Resources, but also for the strong positions we maintain over the Aboriginal Rights of our Community and our Kahniakehaka (Mohawk) Nation. On a Community level we persistently battle to maintain the integrity of this Mohawk Community amid external government interference.
    Akwesasne borders the countries of Canada and the United States of America; the Canadian Provinces of Ontario and Quebec; and the American State of New York. Despite the apparent difficulties of this multi-jurisdictional location, this Mohawk Community of about 13,000 Peoples, has learned how to maneuver effectively, to make the best that we can of our situation. Despite the negative media coverage concerning the use of some of our People in unrestrained cross-border enterprise, our People have been able to create an honorable, and viable Mohawk society and an strong economic base for its People.
    Over the past ten years, dynamic changes have provided this Mohawk Community the opportunity to responsibly manage their Infrastructure, Health and Social Services, Judicial and Law Enforcement System, Environment and Conservation, and Housing and Economic Initiatives.
    At a time when the Government of Canada is advocating Partnerships and Native Self-Government, Akwesasne is well on its way, using its own initiative. We are ready to responsibly manage our internal structures, our numerous Human and Natural Resources, and to build a viable Sustainable Economy.
    Our People have many gifts, talents, knowledge, experience and expertise in a wide spectrum of fields and interests. We have the will, desire, ability and enthusiasm to work toward a Common Community Vision.
    We look to other Nations to see what new relationships and partnerships can be established that will help us both attain our Visions for the Future Generations of our respective Peoples.

my personal summary: weak hearts back to troll country...

18. sludgefuck

Oct 18, 2010

hahaha you fucking chowderhead. The Mohawk Nation of Akwesane has been stable and been supported by governments, missions, been a center of commerce (in addition to being in a prime location) since the mid 1700s! No shit things are gonna be just peachy there, but the rest of the reservations get treated like shit in case you haven't read. Learn how to fucking think and question things like a real anarchist :lmao:

19. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    lil' apple, sludgefuck, gobbledigook, et all..... argue your asses off, debate, point and counterpoint, but quit taking cheap personal shots at each other in the forums please, if you folks want to continue doing that through private messages, fine, insult each other 'till you're blue in the face, personal attacks on each other are not welcome here, are counter productive, and have nothing to do with the multiple topics you all seem to be doing it on.

20. butcher

Sep 8, 2009

Here i was thinking genocide and exploitation bred poverty, cheers for clarifying! :thumbsup: