Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

The casualties? HA!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Raise Your Fist, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Protspecd

Protspecd Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 3, 2010

I just got flash backs of playing GTA Vice City... Nostalgic attack...

2. Shuei

Shuei Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 19, 2010

I love Gary Numan (yeah, off-topic)

3. KAAOS-82

KAAOS-82 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jul 13, 2010

your sure hes not too capitalist for this forum??? :lmao:

4. Shuei

Jan 19, 2010

Kaaos-82:
    I love Gary Numan and a lot other 80's bands. And at this moment, i don't even think Gary Numan can even live on his music. Just like many other 80's stars, it's hard to keep selling enough, especially if you're part of the music industry today.

I think The Casualties earns way more than him today

5. butcher

butcher Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 8, 2009

freedom of choice to listen to someone who wants to destroy yr freedom of choice ;) :ecouteurs: :ecouteurs:

its better than the TLC and Salt'n'pepper that blasts out of another room :lmao:

6. butcher

butcher Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 8, 2009

7. KAAOS-82

KAAOS-82 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jul 13, 2010

haha Shuei I was taking the piss, I enjoy all sorts of trashy music (I own the entire motley crue original pressings as well as the original Runaways LP) I don't understand the "you can't like something because its capitalist etc." mentality. Why aren't anarchists (specifically punk anarchists) allowed to enjoy music because they like music? This "I'm more punk than you" attitude is the reason anarcho punk has turned so shitty since the mid 80's. If someone likes the casualties, I don't see any reason to bollock them over it. Its alienating and counter-productive to the aims of anarchism which should be inclusive of all peoples regardless of what sub-culture they identify with.

8. Bunny

Bunny Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 13, 2010

i agree with almost a 100% the attitude has become a big problem for a lot of punk scenes and goes far beyond music (i have more patches/spikes/records then you) If someone really the casualties, let them. My first choice? Not at all, but there are people who may be a douche to me because of what i like. The only time i have to disagree with this is when the band is something that directly goes against beliefs (i realize the casualties are in it for the money), i mean things like someone listening to screwdriver because they like the way it sounds and supporting something that hateful.
    sorry if this sounds redundant and ill written, i'm half awake

9. Shuei

Jan 19, 2010

Kaaos-82:
    I like many artist, who would be considered commercial in the anarcho-punk scene (most of them i don't really find commercial, as i know how recordlabels exploits their artist's and such), but i dislike music made FOR the money - you know, mass-produced media hyped stuff today.

I think most people in here like some more commercial bands (hell, Crass is named after a David Bowie song), but it's important to support the artist's in this scene, as they are a better alternative to the big labels exploitation and control over how music "should" sound.

I dislike people with a too elitarian attitude on that part, but it IS important to support the DIY scene.

And then, i really hate hypocrisy, artist's claiming to be underground and "punk" while being capitalist's and fake. Some say The Casualties are that, but most of us can agree that AFI, Good Charlotte, Avril Lavigne and Blink 182 don't really live up to the "punk" ideals they claim to be part of right?

10. gobbledigook

gobbledigook Member Forum Member

Aug 3, 2010

I guess I really like that one - even if its a dangerous freedom to take. screwdriver mob nearly killed me at the last gig in london, I liked the sound and my RAR-badge too, they didn't. curiousity may kill the cat, but to live as a kitty just for the creed? nah!
    I pay gladly for the stuff of anarcho-punk-correct bands, I already work for the 4 skums boykott, I will never support right wing bands - but I take the freedom to steal their stuff from the net and listen to it. and if I like the sound, well there's the poison cabinett...

11. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
  12. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    the only justification I can accept for someone on an anarcho website to listen to hate music is to get an understanding of what it is, and what's being said. Listening to music like that 'just for the music' or 'just cause it was free on the net' is piss poor excuse in my book. Otherwise you are supporting their cause, whether u admit to it or not.

13. Ivanovich

Ivanovich Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 31, 2010

Yeah, I don't get it, neither. It be like putting swastikas and nazi posters on your wall cos you think they look pretty.

14. Apples

Apples Active Member Forum Member

Jul 5, 2010
     United States
    The term "punk" now refers to a really wide genre of music, thats why there are all the subgenres now (anarcho, crust, pop, etc.). The Casualties definitely started out "underground" and "punk". I still say they are punk, they just became popular and as a result have been getting money. Granted I think they let it get to their heads, but I do think they, as well as bands like The Unseen and Anti-Flag, are responsible for bringing kids into the punk rock scene. I also bet they are a big influence for a lot of todays punk bands (not necessarily crust or anarcho bands). Say what you want about them but what i'm saying is true and most people know it.

AFI, Good Charlotte, Avril, Blink, only claim to be part of the punk genre. Fact of the matter is that its Pop Punk. I don't really see them claiming any other punk ideals except maybe AFI. AFI used to be a great punk band, who happened to "sell out" if you will. Most of the DC XXX Hardcore kids love old AFI. Blink before they hit it big were a high school punk/pop punk band who ended up making it big. Just learn to accept that pop punk is part of the "punk" genre.

15. ryan1980

ryan1980 Experienced Member Experienced member

Jul 9, 2010

Uh, I've already accepted that pop punk is punk. Pop is not, however and that's what those bands are. Bands that sound similar to punk bands doesn't make them punk by proxy. Good pop punk bands like The Queers, Fifteen and One Reason are still punk. AFI isn't, not only because they gave up their ethics but they turned to the mainstream to gain popularity. They left what is a sub-culture for pop-culture.

16. Apples

Jul 5, 2010
     United States
    Blink 182 and Good Charlotte both can fall into the pop punk genre. AFI is more "rock" with obvious punk influences (I'd say mainly hardcore). Avril is the only one that is pure pop/rock.

The genre of pop punk has exploded into a huge genre with many bands taking different influences, but still falling under the category of pop punk.

17. ungovernable

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    The only links that pop-punk have with punk is on musical influences.... but i think on this forum we alla agree that punk is not only about music ? So are there really many links between pop-punk and punk ? No.

Damn, i thought Avril Lavigne was an anarchist punk..

18. ryan1980

ryan1980 Experienced Member Experienced member

Jul 9, 2010

I don't think you understand...and we just had this conversation in another thread. I'll explain in short: a subculture is a culture that has different and distinct norms, sometimes adverse, against the greater culture it resides in. Punk is a subculture, you're not going to win an argument against that. So the idea that all these bands that drank the capitalist kool-aid and now shill for MTV are punk is just wrong. They're pop. They may sound punk, but so what? It's about ethics.

19. ungovernable

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    I never pretended otherwise.

But i hope you do understand that a subculture is not only about music ?

Agreed, but i don't understand why you said that pop-punk is punk...

20. Apples

Jul 5, 2010
     United States
    I think we just have different views. I agree about the subculture bit but I think musical influence is enough to label a band a certain genre, its only in punk that the subculture is more important than the sound of the music. On the other hand though, I think there are two kinds of pop punk. There is punk/pop if you will (a la Queers) and then pop/punk (a la All Time Low). The punk/pop adheres to the "punk" subculture. Pop/punk has its own separate subculture just take a look at half of the kids in hot topic/warped tour (not the ones there for the gothic/metalcore/metal stuff). There is an MTV Pop Punk subculture. I've witnessed it, i've been to their shows, and one of my really good childhood friends is a part of the scene. At least where i'm from a lot of these "pop/punk" kids really do support local and lesser known music (an influence I believe comes from the "punk" subculture).