Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

The anarchist's view on religion, conformity, and war

Discussion in 'General political debates' started by kyle klemenc, Mar 7, 2012.

1. kyle klemenc

kyle klemenc Member Forum Member

Feb 22, 2012
     United States
    Hey guys, I've had a few questions on the anarchistic view on religion and conformity. from what I've seen most anarchists on the site are very angered by people who practice religion. when i viewed anarchism i tried to understand this concept. it seems to me that anarchism is supposed to give the individual complete control over their own lives and i thought this included religion. i was guessing this is because they try to convert people and war and conflict is started over it, but at the same time anarchists try to subvert the state in order to convert it into an anarchistic form-this also starts mini forms of warfare such as riots (regardless of who starts it.) and war is still war even if you fight for something such as freedom, this is why government was established to "protect" our freedoms. so by doing this do anarchists contradict what they believe? as always please don't be offended i really want to learn this so don't think i'm on any sides-for what I've seen i advocate anarchism i just wish to better understand before i claim it as a solid belief.
    p.s. sorry for any spelling or gramer errors i typed this really quick.

2. crustybeckham

crustybeckham Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 22, 2012

Religions, especially those belonging to the organized variety, aim at controlling people, their behaviours, social relations, gender relations and so on. So taking control over yourself, your subjective self so to speak, tends to imply getting rid of the authority of religion and of religious authorities (which isn't exactly the same as rejecting all religious beliefs). Keeping on purpose something that controls you in the name of being free to decide for yourself is odd, but I guess it is not unplausible.
    As for war, I think anarchists oppose capitalist or imperialist wars, but not the class war (that would be a silly war to oppose, wouldn't it?), hence the slogan "no war but the class war" or, in French, "Pas de guerres entre les peuples, pas de paix entre les classes". Besides, the war against the poor has been ongoing for centuries, so really the anarchists haven't started it.

I am really no expert of anarchist theory but that's pretty much my understanding of it.

3. kyle klemenc

Feb 22, 2012
     United States
    freetrade or capitalism

Hey it's me again! I had a few questions about the anarchist's perspective on "freetrade." First off do you advocate free trade if not how is it regulated and who by? Second if It's regulated does that mean I can't sell or trade whatever I want without permission from the mass or delegate who posts laws on trade? And last do you consider capitalism freetrade and if not then what system is or what system is more fair and why? As always don't take offence to my questions sorry for the grammatical and spelling errors if any.

4. kyle klemenc

Feb 22, 2012
     United States
    how are anarchists claiming the left wing?

So how the definition is now in days a liberal advocates larger government in order to take care of the people mostly through finance and government hand outs. Do you as an anarchist take the right or left wing, why? And if you claim left do u agree on paying tax in order for the government to give out handouts, and if so why can't people just decide to help the person out by their solidarity as opposed to force? As always take no offense sorry about grammer and spelling and thank you for your input!

5. kyle klemenc

Feb 22, 2012
     United States
    anarchy is for lovers

So what if the person you loved was a strong Christian and you are an anarchist? Would you be able to love them anyway? Could you find a compromise? Would you be able to accept the person you loved even if their opinions clash with yours? If not do you consider it discrimination on your part? Does this contradict the anarchist belief to leave someone just for personal views? Does anarchism follow acceptance as far asthe capibility to respect be friends with or even love someone who doesn't think the exact same way?

6. kyle klemenc

Feb 22, 2012
     United States
    is hate speech still recongnized under the thought of freedom of speech?

As I am already aware of anarchists do not in anyway advocate hate speech. All I want to know is if this is considered taking away anothers right to free speech? Mind you I only mean speech not war violence or anything else so it doesn't take away anothers right just expresses hatred. Last is there any form of acceptable hate speech?

7. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    Re: is hate speech still recongnized under the thought of freedom of speech?

No.

8. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States

9. butcher

butcher Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 8, 2009

Re: freetrade or capitalism

I advocate no exchange and no value.

10. Caps

Caps Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 3, 2010

Bloody hell, you ask a lot of questions! I would certainly recommend a bit of personal reading. I always promote the FAQs, it is now available in book form but it's huuuge. Stick to the net source: http://infoshop.org/page/AnAnarchistFAQ

I'd also say that anarchism is quite a flexible 'ideology'. You can be religious and anarchist. If you can understand the semantics, I'd suggest that anarchism allows for 'faith' but not 'religion'. In terms of a relationship, I'd struggle with a rigidly theistic partner, in the same way as I couldn't have a relationship with a Tory supporter, a copper or a soldier.

In terms of trade, different anarchists have different views but I would go with a largely communistic outlook - cooperate, produce, share.

In terms of left and right, anarchism, for me, promotes freedom and this gives people the right to act as they see fit. However, I cannot see anarchism function without cooperation and support for each other. This inevitably brings me to a left-leaning position. I was left because I was anarchist but understanding anarchism seemed to strengthen my leftist position. Again, there are no set rules.

Speech: I think you can say what you like. Just be prepared to be called out and confronted if people don't like it. As for this site - as far as i understand it - if you say anything too provocative, close-minded or confrontational you're liable to be chucked out because you will appear to add nothing to the community.

11. kyle klemenc

Feb 22, 2012
     United States
    I know I’ve asked a lot of questions, and I have researched the topic myself, but really I want to know what the people who advocate anarchism think because it seems to be a lot more direct. I appreciate the patience and honesty from everyone willing to answer my questions, just wanted help understanding is all. And just understand none of my questions relate to me directly I just want to understand.

12. grinding hault

grinding hault Experienced Member Experienced member

Jan 4, 2012

Re: how are anarchists claiming the left wing?

Some would argue that anarchism is a far left ideology, but as an insurrectionary/green anarchist i disagree with that notion completely. Most anarchists I know, including myself, see through the left/right paradigm and do not think in those terms. You also seem to be assuming anarchism to be a strict ideology with rigid guidelines. Again, most anarchists I know, including me, tend to have their own ideas, whereas, at least in my opinion, to adhere to a specific ideology is to let the ideas have you.

I also don't think you're going to find many anarchists who believe in paying taxes, considering that tax money is generally used to perpetuate everything they oppose.

13. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States

You have to understand that left and right are oversimplified, Left and Up = Neo-liberalism, Left and Center = Authoritarian Communism, Left and Down = Anarchism.... thus the famous (anti-fascist/anti-communist) anarchist symbol of the three arrows pointing down and left... :ecouteurs: Many many people don't understand the differences and lump all left leaning ideologies together which is a huge mistake. Ask the Zapatistas how they feel about Neo-Liberalism...

14. kyle klemenc

Feb 22, 2012
     United States

hey punkmar thank you for your input i appreciate the information you have given-this has been most useful, and i hope to hear more responses from you in the future.

15. Caps

Caps Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 3, 2010

I wasn't criticising asking questions and I can understand asking anarchists directly for their perspective. However, I'd still recommend a look at the FAQ because it really does answer an awful lot. It was written by Iain MacKaye (not the bloke from Minor Threat/Fugazi) who is a massive Proudhonian and spends much his time writing for UK anarchist magazine Black Flag. Also, the 'you' in my response was general, not specific, replace it with 'one' if 'one' prefers.