Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

SxE, Vegetarianism, Veganism

Discussion in 'General political debates' started by Outlaw_(A)_Punk, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Anom

Anom Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Dec 21, 2009

[An ovo-vegetarian does not eat fish. An ovo-vegetarian doesn't eat any kind of meat or milkproducts, but they do eat eggs. A lacto-vegetarian doesn't eat any kind of meat or eggs, but they do eat milkproducts. A lacto-ovo-vegetarian eats milk and eggs and is what most people refer to when they say they are vegetarian.
    I am vegan and has been so for about 3,5 years and was vegetarian of different levels for a few years before that. I am not SxE but only drink very little and far appart, on social occacions, and sometimes some naturally grown goodies... The fact that I'm vegan makes it problematic to drink alcohol, since most wine is cleared by eggs or gelatine. Same goes for some kinds of beer. Booze, that I don't drink anyway, is easier. Almost only russian and polish booze is filtered through grinded bones, so the rest is veganfriendly.

2. Boomstick

Boomstick Experienced Member Experienced member

Dec 10, 2009

Ok people maybe after this you'll ban me from the forum or something...

I was a vegetarian for a whole year and enjoying it... then some personal stuff happened and went back to being carnivorous, then one day I slammed a cat on the floor...

I know there's no excuse for that, but at that moment I felt so fuckin miserable that being rejected by that cute little kitty was the final straw, I snapped and picked the poor thing by one of its ears and commited the hideous act. The little kitty was left lame on one of its paws.

I still regret having done that... I know it was horrible and all... can one be redeemed from such acts? considering that person did harm animals in the past before this episode?

Part of me doesn't like kitties much... but also part of me doesn't like how human nature preys on everything that breaths and devours life more and more till we are left without nothing.

Can I have forgiveness or have I already become one of those foul monsters? :(.

3. Anom

Dec 21, 2009

Wanting to redeem yourself seems to me like a good start. i have eaten meat growing up and have for that feeling a need to try and redeem myself so turning vegetarian was a first step. I am today active in animal rights and do what I can for all animals, big and small.
    It is really only you that can forgive yourself but to be able to do that or at least work on it, geting active in an animal rightsgroup or a cathome or something like that seems to me like a good way to start. Maybe quitting with the meat again. What ever you can do that feels to you like it's worth something. If that what you did to that cat made you want to help animals, then maybee it was not totally in vain, if you know what i meen. Oh, and don't ever forget it. To forgive and to forget is totally different things.
    Good luck.

4. dwtcos

dwtcos Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 22, 2009

I'm a vegetarian. I tried being vegan for about two weeks (I already was and still am technically underweight) and started passing out from lack of blood sugar. I passed out one morning after getting up and took out an entire clothing rack in my room so we went to the doctor and she told me I have to eat eggs or else I'm putting my health at serious danger. And as far as straightedge I rarely smoke pot and even more rarely is it that I drink so I could start being a straightedge tommorrow if I so pleased but I'd rather not label myself.

5. Hex

Hex Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 22, 2009

personally i think removing yourself from contact with ANY/ALL animals is a good and rational start, as is getting help with your issues regarding rejection/anger. understanding that you have these problems and the remorse you feel for your act is a positive beginning, actively perusing help to hopefully ensure that it never happens again...is what will 'redeem' you and better YOUR life as well as your relationships with both humans and non-humans alike. if you are unsure of where to start, i offer to assist you in finding help in your area...PM me here.

6. Boomstick

Dec 10, 2009

Anom: No, doing that to the kitty did not made want to be a vegetarian again... this happened one year ago and I've eating meat ever since thinking I can't go back.

Hex: So I guess that means I'm a sick person who can't be close to animals :(... it's jut that I feel some sort of love/hate towards kitties since I apparently developed a huge intolerance to cute, defendless animals... it irritates too much cause I see weakness as something wrong. But I took it too far and the price to pay is never getting a pet. I'm from South America with no money at all so I can't get any kind of "help".

7. Hex

Hex Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 22, 2009

Boomstick, i never meant to imply that you are 'sick', please do not construe my honest offer to help as such. i do however feel that you, and your relationship with both animals AND people would greatly benefit from outside assistance. you obviously care deeply about your situation or you would have not posted your story here.
    i understand your location and financial situation Boomstick, and i am currently in the process of tracking down groups in your area that will be able to help you for low or no cost. these places DO exist, you just have to be willing to attend them. nothing is hopeless, you are NOT helpless. try to remain positive and lets see what we can do together!

8. NGNM85

NGNM85 Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 8, 2009

If this story is true, you are DEFINITELY a sick person ansd you should avoid all contact with animals domestic or otherwise. You CAN solve this impulse to permenantly hobble or injure defenseless animals; don't do it.

9. Boomstick

Dec 10, 2009

Then this means that I'm doomed to being part of the problem? That I got no other choice but to destroy animals an nature? That I just have to eat meat forever? That's it?.

10. Anom

Dec 21, 2009

Of cos! Everyone has a choice, except for you :p

11. NGNM85

Sep 8, 2009

I don't want start the same shit over again, I've repeated my position, unpopular as it may be over and over again. However, I recently read an article about this which I thought was fascinating and prescient.
    A group of scientists are pushing for greater legal protections for dolphins and that they be legally defined as non-human persons.

http://www.physorg.com/news181981904.html
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/s ... 973994.ece

Based on several analysis of dolphins and their behavior it has been concluded they are just as intelligent or perhaps more so than Chimpanzees and Bonobos, who are our closest genetic relatives. (Sharing around 98% of our DNA.)Findings suggest a mature dolphin is equally or more intelligent than a three-year-old.

I find this very intruiging and will be on the lookout for new developments. This is different from the usual hyperbole spouted by militant veggos. The constantly repeated position that animals are morally equivalent to human beings is stated as if it is self-evident, or occasionally justified with some logical hula-hoops. The repeated, and ill-conceived invocations of the holocaust, are misguided, on several levels, but mostly because they are not based on a position of facts. To paraphrase Judge Posner in his debate of animal rights; homosexuals, jews and other groups may have been treated similarly, but that is different because they are no less human than anyone else, which has resulted in solidarity and civil rights movements for just that reason. The ethical position will be based on the FACTS. In this case, Dolphins apparantly warrant greater consideration.

12. ASA

ASA Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 2, 2009

stop just reading by all means and start experiencing lest becoming self-rightious

13. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    If i was to witness you doing this, i would be slamming you against the floor a lot harder then you slammed that poor defenseless cat.

14. BlinkoChrist

BlinkoChrist Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 1, 2009

I would to man, My dad did the same thing to my cat. But really, I'm sure he's recieved enough criticism already. Not to mention, the guilt he went through...I'm not condoning this but he has apologized AND is asking for help...so we as a community could be a little bit less violent-responsive

15. back2front

back2front Experienced Member Experienced member

Nov 26, 2009

Wish I had the time to read back over this thread as there seems to be some good debate going on.

For anyone who hasn't read it yet I'd suggest the 1973 book "Animal Liberation" by Peter Singer. Singer is an Australian philosopher and it was really his book that kick-started modern ideas about animal liberation. Where do you human rights come from, he asks? Well we apply them to ourselves. Why might we do this? We do it to protect ourselves based on the notion that we feel pain and pain is generally wrong (some is necessary like going to the dentist or pushing someone out of the way of a speeding car). Singer asks why did people of colour, women , gay and transgender people also push for rights? Well, because they are also human beings who feel pain. It wasn't just about whether they felt pain however. It was about sentience, the ability to feel pain, or indeed happiness and to be aware of one's own future. Singer then argued that animals are sentient in the same way that humans are and therefore they should have rights as well. It's an interesting book for anyone who wants to get into the philosophical idea. It is considered in philosophical circles as a 'won argument'.

Has any body else read this book? What did you think?

16. Boomstick

Dec 10, 2009

Too late for that... Honestly I'll just return to a vegetarian diet, not giving two shits anymore about what some person on an internet forum thinks, if that's how he feels then good for him, I don't really need to put up with bullshit from anyone.

17. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    you can think that if it makes you sleep better, but violence against animals is not ok. I'm glad you realized it was wrong and all, but that doesn't erase what you did.

18. Boomstick

Dec 10, 2009

I realize that, but maybe and JUST maybe if I keep eating animals I won't help at all either... so if other animal rights fighters want to hate me forever or not that's their choice. I'm done letting myself being influenced by others when making decisions.

19. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    13 days 100% meat free! Wooohoooo! Kind of worried about protein though, do any of you take any kind of supplements? I really, really work at a job that requires me to be healthy and fit and so far so good. I haven't felt under-nourished or weak or dizzy but it's only been two weeks. It's so funny I'm the only one of my immediate family who wasn't a Vegetarian and I swore I would never do it... not to mention countless friends and fellow musicians, yet here I am...any suggestions?

20. NGNM85

Sep 8, 2009

I haven't read the book but the argument is far from "won", not by a fucking longshot. I'm not going to reiterate the myriad fallacies in this ideology, but feel free to go back a few pages where I've posted on them at some length.