Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Suicide / Euthanasia

Discussion in 'Music, punk scene & subcultures' started by Anxiety69, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    Hmmm, you don't think suicide is selfish even though it cause great pain and suffering to those who are affected by it? It's not selfish that you get off easy by dying and leaving your mess behind for others to clean up?

this bad religion quote always comes to mind on the subject of suicide "if I thought I'd make a difference I'd kill myself today, but so many are like me lost in the fray."

I think it means that killing yourself wont make a difference if many people who share your thoughts and beliefs are still alive.

2. we're_all_dead_anyway

we're_all_dead_anyway Active Member Forum Member

Oct 16, 2009

Well, from our point of view it is selfish, but like i said from their point of view its not selfish because they believe that no one would be affected by their death.

And focusing on whether its selfish or not I think is just a terrible thing. Would you call someone selfish who tried to kill themselves? Would it really make them feel better about themselves to be told their a selfish, horrible person? No, cause that's what they already believe about themselves and your only reinforcing their beliefs by calling them it.

Like through my many bouts of depression when my parents would say the very same thing because of how much I made them worry and how much I hurt them. That was the last thing I needed to hear in that situation. It only made me feel worse about myself. It was as if they blaming me for these feelings I couldn't control. I needed help not blame or guilt.

Saying it is selfish doesn't help anyone, doesn't help us understand suicide and we really have to stop saying it.

3. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    completely disagree, maybe shouldn't say it to someone who is thinking about doing it, but i won't stop thinking it's selfish and saying so if discussions arise.