Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Steve Ignorant

Discussion in 'Music, punk scene & subcultures' started by ungovernable, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Sick Boy 77

Sick Boy 77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Mar 29, 2010

Re: Crass playing in California and charging $23?

It's just a bunch of bull. I wont be going to any show that charges that much unless it's more then 4 bands or an all day festival.

2. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada

I already posted that link.

And like i said, it just looks like a public relation campaign from Bill Gates Fundation : give away a couple of dollars so you get a better public image, take a couple of pictures for the press, and voila! you can continue making shitload of money and pretend you are giving it.

I don't know who would be naive enough to believe that all the profits made during this whole tourney was all spent to buy 5 life jackets... Seriously ?

Saying all profits from his gigs is a benefit to a cause is big fucking lie and definatly taking the punk scene for idiots who cant question themselves...

3. Inna Ruts

Inna Ruts Experienced Member Experienced member

Nov 22, 2011

i know you posted that link - so we just have to get some torpedoes to end this endless calculating profits business up and down the assumed circumstances of the crass-karaoke tours?
    (i was posting in that sense, but the machine ate most of the post...)
    ignorants is an asshole, his former band mates too - aging people with a past, now looking for their old age funding - so what? they do what they think it's necessary and we don't like it - but a moral crusade?!
    crass might have been important at their time and they even might have strengthened the coming of DIY and whatever else - but it wasn't THEM alone and today they are nothing but history, while bands and people move on giving much better reason to keep an eye on...
    don't take that the rude way, i'm not eengleesh and inna hurry too...

4. ungovernable

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada

Remember i was talking previously about Steve Ignorant doing a gig in Quebec with over 2000 people... It was at Olympia

I know an organisation who's doing an event at the same place, and they said it's gonna cost them $7000 everything included

So let's do the math again

Venue cost = $7000
    Plane tickets = $3200 for 5 people (not including group discounts... source : britishairways.com and cheapflights.co.uk)
    Hotel for 5 people = from $125 to $250 (source = booking.com)
    Food for 5 people = less than $100
    Metro/bus tickets for 5 people = $15
    Total expenses = 8465$

2000 tickets sold (not counting people who bought tickets at door) at $27 each
    total $54,000

Total profit minus expenses = $43,535$

And i'm not counting all the merch sold (that's THOUSANDS of dollars of profit considering that they pay $2 for their screenprinted tshirts and sell them at $25 each)

...And that's only for ONE gig... He did dozens of them...

Note: Expenses for Facebook Ads and paying the promoters of the gigs aren't calculated since i have no way to find out how much it cost, but it wasn't $43k for sure...

5. ungovernable

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    Nobody talked about this gig... We're talking about the tour 1 or 2 years ago, that was clearly a capitalist event only to make a lot of money

But now it is. They claim copyright on it.

That's part of the game.

And what about non-profit websites like ours who give away crass downloads ? What's the problem ? We're not Angelina Jolie

But they're threatening to sue Mediafire if they don't delete our albums.

If they want to sell t-shirts fine, but sell them at a reasonnable price. $25 is a fucking rip-off for screen-printed t-shirts on Gildan importer t-shirts that costs less than $5

First you start by talking about what crass was all about but you forget to mention that they always refused to make money out of it. They critised other bands exactly for doing what Steve Ignorant is doing today.

THEY DECIDED that Crass should be a non-profit band then THEY turned their back and did otherwise so THEY sold out and betrayed THEIR OWN IDEALS.

We're not telling them what they should do, we're pointing out that they betrayed their own ideas and what THEY chosen to stand for.

My problem is not what he's making profit. My problem with him is that he built a reputation and became famous with the image of a "real anarchist" who always stay honest to his values and who's not into anarcho-punk to make money. People admired Crass because they gave away all the money they were making. And then when he became famous he sold out and starting making money out of something that stands for non-profit activism.

Face it. He used to write "pay no more than $2" on his albums and now he's selling them for 10 times the price.

Yeah suuuuree....

Read the other topic with facts and calculations about how much profit he makes. His tickets were more expensive than fucking capitalist pop bands like LMFAO

How ironical coming from a band who put out "Bullshit Detector" compilations and never paid the bands for it.

BTW, Colin did reply to these accusations. See here:
    http://www.pirate-punk.net/message.php?t=15719

Read the other topic. There's millions of reasons to call him a fucking sell-out.

6. ungovernable

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    Holy shit i just noticed i was answering a post from 2010. Oh well... I need some sleep. lol

7. zakkman666

zakkman666 Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 20, 2012

Steve Ignorant has definitely sold out. Crass made some great music back then but Steve's become a capitalist fool.

8. ungovernable

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    I thought Steve Ignorant couldn't get lower than where he dropped but he surprises me again... In September 2013 he will play a gig with the nazi-sympathetic fencesitting band The Exploited:
    http://www.rockonnection.com/?link=age&cod=570
    http://www.list.co.uk/event/20378893-sh ... the-fiend/
    http://www.ents24.com/newcastle-upon-ty ... 13/3164311

For Steve Ignorant, i guess it's okay to talk shit about Sex Pistols and The Clash, but it's fine to play with The Exploited... wtf ?

Also I remember when Steve Ignorant kept saying this would be the last shows ever well he bullshitted everyone again... He probably realised he made a shitload of money from the last tour so he wants more...

More about The Exploited fence-sitting:
    viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8247
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2752
    http://www.pirate-punk.net/message.php?t=23783
    http://www.libreopinion.com/members/dec ... lasse.html