Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

SLC PUNK seen it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wonder138, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Wonder138

Wonder138 Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Dec 2, 2009

the moive potrays punk very badly but its still a rely fuckin good moive if you stop worrying about the bullshit

2. JunkieSeahorse

JunkieSeahorse Member Forum Member

Oct 28, 2009

I watched the movie about two years ago and i thought it was pretty fun."Was tun, wenn's brennt?"(What to do in case of fire?) is also good.

3. Program

Program Member New Member

Feb 22, 2010

It's a great movie, but it is probubly the worst depiction of the punk scene I have ever seen. A good movie that tells more so what the punk scene is all about, or more so how it starts is Suburbia.

4. ASA

ASA Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 2, 2009

a good movie not great, an enjoyable watch

5. NGNM85

NGNM85 Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 8, 2009

A fun flick, but with a few notable historical inaccuracies.

6. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    NGNM85: it's called 'suspension of disbelief' it makes movies more enjoyable...just sayin...I used to be hyper critical too....let it go, let it go...

and by the way Wonder, the best part for me was when I noticed a small stencil of Battalion of Saints painted on his leather as he's talking to his dad about why he's not going to be a lawyer with his huge fake blue mohawk... that leather had to belong to a real punk....

7. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    suburbia is a piece of shit that makes all punks look like violent drunken morons, a way worse portrayal of the punk scene then just about any movie or anything i've ever seen, it's even worse then when talk shows did warning shows about the scene back in the day. not to mention some of the worst acting i've ever seen, a barely there plot, encouragment of homophobia, and an ending that that seems like they were out of ideas. The only redeeming factor is the band performances, and other then TSOL, the bands aren't all that great either.

slc punk looks like true art cinema in contrast.

8. Wonder138

Wonder138 Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Dec 2, 2009

iv seen the moive quite a few times theres a bad relgion sticker slapped on there vans dashbord but to me the best thing was on one of the walls in there house it said "its not my imagination theres a gun in my back"(Black Flag - Revenge) and theirs a shit load of stuff in that movie showing all those unpopular bands to
    the guy that made the movie was a punk in his younger years and made it about the people he grew up with

9. Program

Program Member New Member

Feb 22, 2010

Suburbia isn't all about the direct stereotype as SLC punk is. Even though 'punks' shouldn't be homophobic, or act so much as how the kids in suburbia do. There is still kids out there who act like that. The main character in the film is just a young angry kid looking for something. He is himself, he is not political in any way. He is just seeking something new. He is himself, probubly how every other kid who got into the scene here also. There is exceptions. But those are the reasons. Yes, these kids are rediculous, and drunk. But I don't feel as if the punk scene should be depicted as a lie or something I don't like as SLC punk is. It may be sad to see these kids in suburbia, but it's the truth, I may not be like these kids, maybe you arn't either but that's how it was and started

10. New Face In Hell

New Face In Hell Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 22, 2010

I haven't seen "Suburbia" in a while, but I don't remember it being THAT bad (maybe I'll have to watch it again). It's definitely not a masterpiece by any means, though.

11. Ferago

Ferago Active Member Forum Member

Feb 15, 2010

I dislike SLC Punk. I don't think it has much to offer except classic stereotypes. The only part I thought mattered was when heroine bob died, because he was the only person in the movie who wasn't a total douchebag/ (maybe that guy with glasses too, I can't remember).

And then the movie ends with the main character becoming a lawyer and saying punks a joke. Eh, I thought that kinda sucked.

I love Suburbia though.

12. Probe

Probe Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 30, 2010

i think the movies not bad but watching it on utube makes me angry
    the comments people leave like"...ah....this is true anarchy" and "someone who truly understands anarchy" and "...ah....someone who truly understands anarchy"
    that pisses me off

13. NGNM85

NGNM85 Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 8, 2009

I'm fully capable of suspending my disbelief, that's how I am able to enjoy films like Aliens, the ReAnimator, The Lost Boys, etc. However, this is supposed to reflect something that actually happened as opposed to a fantastical premise, and, thus, I hold it to a different standard. This is, however, symptomatic of a greater problem; that the portrayals of punk rock in cinema have been decidedly sub-par. The examples that leap to mind, Suburbia, SLC Punk, Sid & Nancy, and maybe Repo Man are all seriously flawed. (Although I do own and enjoy all of these films.) The only decent cinematic treatment of punk rock I can think of is in documentaries, especially the excellent, but unfortunately-named, "Punk: Attitude" by Don Letts.

This is one of the things that bothered me. First of all the Anarcho-punk element wasn’t as pronounced on this side of the Atlantic, especially around ’85 when it was supposed to have taken place, but for all his statements the main character doesn’t seem to have the slightest clue as to what Anarchism means. You would think even from Crass and Conflict lyrics he might pick up a little bit more than what he says in the script.

14. Probe

Probe Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 30, 2010

well what i was talking about was the comments that "anarchists" leave on youtube about anarchy and stuff but yea i get you mean to him anarchy was chaos and disorder. but story wise the movie wasent that bad overall...

15. PsychoHyena

PsychoHyena Active Member Forum Member

Dec 11, 2009

It was an entertaining flick at least. Then again my taste in films is what most would consider piss-poor. (Troma Trash and Italian Giallo Garbage.)

16. super_phun_tyme

super_phun_tyme Experienced Member Experienced member

Mar 1, 2010

17. Ferago

Ferago Active Member Forum Member

Feb 15, 2010

haha ya, I've seen that. I gotta say, it could have been better.

18. Saering

Saering Experienced Member Experienced member

Dec 18, 2009

Yeah the comments are...annoying, but anyway im not sure which film NGNM was talking about there. I may not remember correctly but i think at one point in SLC Punk! (i think when heroin bob dies) steve-o even admits he was nothing but a poser.

19. Vegetarian Barbarian

Vegetarian Barbarian Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 19, 2009

Steve-o's mohawk wasnt fake. I know this first hand because of an interview with the director. That scene was actually the first scene that was shot. He had a cap on the sides because they werent completely shaven like it shows, but the hair standing up is real. The cap does make it look fake though.

The director stated that matt lillard had just finish shooting a movie at the time where he was a hippy with long hair (not scooby doo) and just died it blue, shot that scene, then cut it short to have short blue hair the rest of the film.

20. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    NGNM85 wrote:

"This is one of the things that bothered me. First of all the Anarcho-punk element wasn’t as pronounced on this side of the Atlantic, especially around ’85 when it was supposed to have taken place,"

What? and you know this because you read it right? Anarcho-Punk (or Peace-Punk as it was known then) was in full swing on the west coast and around the U.S. in 1985. I have literally hundreds of flyers from '83 to '86 that document Anarcho-Punk bands and shows around the country. So what exactly are you talking about? NGNM85 click on the link in my signature and check it....