Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Shady Record Stores

Discussion in 'Music, punk scene & subcultures' started by Anxiety69, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    In the oc area today, i happened upon a record store that is easily the shadiest i've ever seen. I will nto provide it's name because i don't want to advertise for them. The storefront had no sign or anything above it advertising it anyways, just punk posters in the window. Inside was a whole ton of bootleg cds, and t-shirts, pretty much any punk (and some non) band you could think of. Cdr's not even disguised as what they were, yet still being sold for $8 - $15!!! (literally i wouldn't be suprised if the owner downloaded stuff from this site and sold them as cds.) And t-shirts for $15 completely unlicensed or righted. I know the owner, he also runs a clothing distro, and is a total douche bag as is. I guess my question is, does anyone care about bullshit 'punk' stores like this? Would you still buy stiff from them, even though they are clearly ripping off many bands? Also charging an arm and a leg for 'rare' records. (I wonder crass feels that their old 45's now sell at places like this for $15 - $50.)

2. some asian dude

some asian dude Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 21, 2009

I'm pretty sure i know which store your talking about, i went there last year and all the shirts were blatantly bootlegged and looked pretty horrid. Customer service wasn't too hot either

3. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    So my question is why put up with this guy? If he's ripping bands off, that's more than enough reason to shut him down. This is where grass roots diy organizing comes in...contact bands, out the name of the owner and the exact location of the store, show up with friends and bands and let him know that we all know and it either needs to stop or he will be stopped.

4. Kobac

Kobac Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 7, 2009
     Denmark
    Let s lynch the capitalist prick.!it s sad,but Anarchy for sale is avaible for purchase

5. Anxiety69

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Your ideas are good, i wouldn''t report him to the authorities or anything , but i guess if word gets round that's good enough. His name is Gnat and his shithole record store is called Radiation Records. we should definatly call for a boycott. he also owns a distro called puke and vomit, but again he sells unlicensed merch or anarcho punk banbs.

6. ryan1980

ryan1980 Experienced Member Experienced member

Jul 9, 2010

I realize the guy may be a dick, but anarcho-punk and punk in general doesn't like to hold hands with terms like "licensing" and "copyright"- as those are capitalist ideals in the first place. That being said; to open a public store strictly to profit from the ideals anarcho bands hold is wrong. So shut 'em down.

7. Anxiety69

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    im not concerned with licensing infringements or any other technobabble red tape, but that he is ripping off bands that are against profit and exploitation in my eyes is wrong, why should he be making money off these bands just because he has a silk screen and a cd burner?

8. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    He shouldn't, and you are doing the right thing by exposing him.

9. vAsSiLy77

vAsSiLy77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jun 21, 2010

may I ask you if you would stop him by the combined rightful anger of the people - direct action against his buisness/himself?
    don't want to stir up something - only asking for your opinion...