Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

SHAC 7 Convictions Upheld in US Appellate Court

Discussion in 'Anarchism and radical activism' started by Carcass, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Carcass

Carcass Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 12, 2009

http://www.greenisthenewred.com/blog/shac-7-conviction-upheld-on-appeal/2307/

Any thoughts? In my mind this is a testimony to the fact that, as soon as a social justice movement discovers an effective tactic, the state will make it illegal. Of course, HLS isn't out of the woods yet. There are still people doing aggressive demos against them, but those people are careful to keep their identities secret. There's also been a shift toward underground actions for which no one can be pinpointed by the FBI and brought in on trumped up terrorism charges. Of course, clandestine campaigns like that are a lot harder to organize and sustain but the ALF's still going strong after 30 years.

It's just a shame that this excellent tactic got railroaded before it could've been adopted by other social justice movements. Imagine if one of those giant anti-war rallies from back in 2003 had broken off into huge affinity groups that would invade the offices of war profiteers until they dropped their contracts. Guess we'll just have to come up with something else and keep ignoring the law whenever we can get away with it!

2. Hex

Hex Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 22, 2009

the news is repulsive, but not surprising at all Carcass. You hit the nail on the head with "as soon as a social justice movement discovers an effective tactic, the state will make it illegal."

"...this excellent tactic got railroaded before it could've been adopted by other social justice movements. " there is the exact reason WHY it was.

as i see it, the only thing positive that has come of this whole clusterfuck is that more people are aware of HLS and the extraordinary lengths the US government will go to to prop them up. i was recently at a talk given by Darius Fullmer (who was released after spending a year of his life in a federal pen) and his spirit was not broken, his words inspiring and supporters unwavering.

the 'message' that the Shac7 case was meant to deliver to the AL movement (and in fact to ALL social justice movements), was made out of fear to silence and intimidate (like all repression)...and i do not think that it was entirely successful. time will tell.

3. Hex

Hex Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 22, 2009

from what i hear, this is the next move from the SHAC7 defendants:

"A 2-1 panel of the Third Circuit
    upheld the convictions (but vacated and remanded the restitution order because it
    was procedurally defective).
    This isn't the end of the show, though. They are
    petitioning for en banc review (by the entire Third Circuit, not just a panel), and
    for the Supreme Court to hear the case. "