Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Selling Out

Discussion in 'Music, punk scene & subcultures' started by RememberGlencoe, Aug 19, 2014.

1. RememberGlencoe

RememberGlencoe Experienced Member Experienced member

May 12, 2014

I'm writing an... essay I guess, on punk idealism. Just a general analysis on what the concept of punk expects from individuals, the strictness and methods in which these demands are enforced, and my thoughts on the interaction between social norms and these strictures. Both as affected and affector, with as little focus on scenes and sects as possible. I'm interested in punk as a whole. Please, excuse my pedantry.
    I've got a really great grasp on most aspects. I'm fascinated with the concept of selling out, and want to know your opinions on what's selling out, what's unforgivable, whether or not someone, say Chumbawamba or Sublime, could redeem themselves and how, how you deal with sellouts, that sort of thing. I want to know your opinions, what's worse than what, what you do when you find out someone you like sold out, that sort of thing. Wax philosophic, please.

I, myself prioritize staying true to your artistic vision and your beliefs most of all. Like when the Velvet Underground let their label meddle with Loaded, that pissed me off royally when I heard. Or when the Battered Wives let themselves get bullied into changing their name. Then things like say, selling butter, charging 20 bucks for an album, attacking file sharers, I find still horrible, but less. I went to a metal festival last year, I was excited to see Mastodon. I loved Blood Mountain. I waited in the rain and the cold to see them. When they came out on stage, they didn't say a word, didn't acknowledge the crowd at all, just played nothing but their new album, then left. I suppose we the fans are just cattle with wallets to them. Their disgusting behavior is part of why I became serious about punk.
    To be honest, I've always felt that signing to a major label was more a precursor to selling out than an act of selling out in it's own right. So long as you negotiate properly in your contract, you should theoretically be able to ensure total creative control, everything else, less likely but maybe. But, should you have enough strength in following and loyal personnel, you could control your touring and image completely. The rat bastards will still shill your albums for small fortunes, and your website and fan club would basically act as catalogs, That said, social media provides you with a real way to interact with your admirers, and piracy reduces the effect of 20 dollars for 12 songs quite a bit.
    But that's an ideal situation that has never been achieved, not even by behemoths such as SOAD or Nirvana, so what chance did Chumbawamba think they had?
    I'm certain I'm forgetting something, but this is exhausting. Thank you in advance for your patience, I promise to post my finished product if it doesn't suck ass!