Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Selling Out To Scion

Discussion in 'Music, punk scene & subcultures' started by snookams, Mar 1, 2011.

1. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    So we've had several threads in the past about this disgusting trend in crust, punk, grind, metal etc. here are some new bands to add to that list:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also going to merge older posts concerning Scion and their douchebaggery under this post.

2. THEBLACKNOVA

THEBLACKNOVA Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 11, 2011
     Mexico
    FUCK! Now I know what a Scion is. FUCK!

Ok i got an idea. What if we make stickers that say "Scion Presents blah blah blah" the blah blah blah would be the offensive name of a band that docent exist. The sticker and the band name on the sticker would be to piss off Scion owners, and well when you see a Scion stick it to its bumper, or driver side window, so they have to see it....

Maybe they call Scion and ask what the fuck are they promoting?

MMM

[​IMG]

3. crustybeckham

crustybeckham Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 22, 2012

Damn... Even Morne is on this thing. Now that's quite depressing. I don't understand why bands would want to dilute what they stand (or stood) for just for a proper studio and clean towels on tour. The best punk records have been recorded in a DIY fashion on a tiny budget. That a capitalist monster would even consider to promote DIY punk bands is also a dire reflection of the state of punk-rock today. Little subversion, little politics in the lyrics, far too little snottiness and far too much "let's play extreme, brutal, sick music".

I think I'll stick to Disorder.

4. THEBLACKNOVA

THEBLACKNOVA Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 11, 2011
     Mexico
    Scion Presents:
    The ANARCHO PUNKS
    “SMASHING WINDOWS WORLD TOUR”
    COMING TO YOUR FAVORITE MALL

MMMM
    what do think about this here sticker? Maybe with images of a broken window behind it?
    MMMM

5. Danarchy

Danarchy Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 16, 2012
     Canada
    Wow, so you're telling me that I can't believe an artists integrity just because they are choosing not to play in my garage and rather than doing a benefit show they might like to get paid for their time. I can appreciate the anti-DIY and I wouldn't go to those shows anyway but are any of you perfect? Are you perfect in my eyes, cause you're asking others to be your view of perfection. Ripping off corporate sponsors is punk, not anarchist but it is punk.

We live in a capatalist world as such it is reasonable to accept that people, even those who are committed to a specific belief, make decisions that are questionable to others. Personally, I'm not a fan of Grind or any of the bands listed but I'm not going to judge them either for wanting to exploit an opportunity. Would be cool if their Ep was all about how crappy Toyota was and the cover had an arrow pointing to Scion saying 'don't buy their shit'. I guess that it depends on whether you believe that the medium is the message or the message is more important.

Really though look in your kitchen, is there food product in it with a label? If there is then in my view you are as much of a sell out but I wouldn't judge you or boycott you for it. Do you live in a city, sell out again. Do you work for someone else or live off the backs of the working class (welfare, panhandling), yep, sell out again. Hmmm... I could go on but I've made my point. And yep, occasionally I'm not perfect, even in my own eyes too.

6. butcher

butcher Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 8, 2009

What you'd do is print some flyers with bands like:
    'abortions are awesome'
    'heroin babies'
    'communist cannibals'
    'Jesus was a prick'
    etc
    printed on it
    Then you ring up the media, like one of those tacky 'current affairs' shows and act outraged.

(you'd probably need to set up a bollocks website/blog with the addy to it printed on the flyer, so that the journos with their 'fact checking' will go to the site and see that its legit ;) )

7. crustybeckham

crustybeckham Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 22, 2012

Right, so living on welfare equates living on the backs of the working-class to you? Now, that's not a really nice thought for the poor and the unemployed and the working-class itself.

I believe you completely miss the point. Obviously everyone has corporate food, cars, computers, whatever at home. Because we don't have a choice (you know, with capitalism being everywhere) and buying super organic, vegan friendly cocoa is NOT making a difference.

But punk is different, it is our choice, our thing, our passion, it is meant to make our shitty life less shitty, to bring us anger and, why not, a bit of hope as well. The capitalists have already stolen our lives, are we supposed to let them creep into the DIY punk scene and not even react so that they can advertize bloody cars? "Well whatever, it's a free record!", "Well, at least they get paid!", "No dude they're subverting capitalism from the inside!"... Bollocks. Shite on toast. Toyota uses punk bands to make a profit, let's not be fooled by the flashy posters and the line-ups. I can understand that some bands want a degree of comfort when playing, that's fine, but if they want it so bad that they'd rather play in a Toyota sponsored show than in a DIY venue (yes, your garage would be great), then there is clearly a problem of politics here.

8. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    I'm not telling you anything and you can believe whatever the fuck you want to believe. Ripping off corporations is punk allowing corporations to become your sponsors isn't punk at all, you got that shit fucked up. And that's right it isn't anarchist and at least 3 of the bands on there claim to be anarchist so there goes that theory...as far as:

Nope don't have labels in my kitchen, don't live in a city though I live near one and I grow food in the back yard is that too close for you, oh then I must be just as guilty as the Toyota sponsored sellout punk bands. Oops I actually work for a living and am in a union since I am a syndicalist, I am also in a fairly well known anarcho-punk band that I would never expect to make a living from nor accept in any way shape or form corporate money for...Look Dan I really think you're speaking out of your scope of expertise on this one, no one is advocating 'perfection' but many of us have worked at this anarchist and punk diy integrity thing for an entire lifetime just to see people cashing in on it, of course we're pissed, if you can't respect that or understand why then you just don't get it.

9. butcher

butcher Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 8, 2009

Umm, but playing for Toyota isn't ripping that corporation off, the opposite in fact, hence why Toyota has asked these bands to play for them to begin with. Heard of advertising? It's kinda big I understand. I'm unsure of the precise logic of the advertising department of Toyota in hiring Grind bands to help promote some cars, but 'presumably' its cos they think it will help sell cars; moreover, 'presumably' Toyota would be paying the bands less for their performances than the predicted increase in car sales via hiring said bands. In other words, Toyota would be (or expecting to be) paying the bands less than their labour is worth.

But some grind band turning down a gig from Toyota is somewhat different than not eating (although there could be instances where the former was necessary for the later).

wow :ecouteurs:
    bloody dole bludgers!
    Since when did Thatcher-esque phrases get passed off as radical politics?