Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Self defense

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bananaman, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Bananaman

Bananaman Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 9, 2009

I started this topic to discuss the practicality of defending your self from physical harm. What are your opinions?

Recently I tried to activate people to start training, but had relatively little success. There may be an opportunity to start doing that again only now more seriously and with better conditions. Now, my own opinion that what you train is not as important as how you train, and that contact and live sparring have no real substitutes. But I'm thinking that may be too much for people that are trying something like that for the first time...

Just felt like adding this, I live in a city that has a lot of ultra nationalists. It's not like in for example Germany where nazi marches mean maybe a few dozen nazis and a huge mob of counter protesters ready to lynch them. Here the situation is closer to reverse, it's not as bad as in Russia but physical confrontations with ultra nationalists are a regular happening. And my self defense classes would be targeted at the local "scene" whatever that may mean.

So what do you guys think? Anybody done any Martial Arts? Opinions on weapons? Experiences?

2. SurgeryXdisaster

SurgeryXdisaster Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 8, 2009

Martial Arts have always been a love of mine, I recently got back into training and I'm sore as hell
    I've taken Karate, Judo, Fencing, Kickboxing, and Wrestling. Judo is a lot more fun than Greco-Roman Wrestling)
    I like Bruce Lee's idea that one shouldn't confine themselves to a certain impractical style (Karate, Judo, etc.)
    They all have their strengths but are outweighed by their flaws. Training for real street fight scenarios is the best thing to do. I practice with weapons but I'm not gonna go around carrying Nunchaku everywhere.

3. drun-KEE-n

drun-KEE-n Member Forum Member

Feb 5, 2010

bananaman, i really agree with you in the point that it doesn´t matter what kind you train especially, just HOW you train.

i´m doing boxing (among the rest) since my youth. ok there was a break for more then ten years but i practice it activly again since 2007. my experience is, that i learnd to canalise my aggressions into a purposed and effective line. this sport is an "one-(wo-)man´s way" and the main fight you do is the fight with yourself. you overcome your borders every day a little bit more if you train hard enough and you learn discipline and the never give up...even the day is hard or if you aren´t motivated enough and you do your training till the bitter end nevertheless again and again. when you do this for a longer time, your self estem grows and you get more and more peaceful with yourself and your surrounding.

but unfortunatly my wrists are always hurting after a train-session since a few month... i guess my punch is to hard for them haha...so i started to train two persons because i want to give that what i´ve learned to others and i´m looking forward to train more than 2 in the next time. i really drill them, because i think the hardest fight of each life is the fight with yourself

in the perspective to your reasons to start self defence courses and the problem of the huge crowd of ultra nacionalists in your city/country it really matters that you are able to defence attacks by those people...so i think it´s not wrong to have possibilities and technics to fight back and know that you CAN. do or die! you just can´t solve such attacks with rational communication. sometimes you just have to fight back - so don´t stop to help yourself and others to learn progressivly how to fight back.

Strength is when you always stand up one more time as you fall

Best wishes for you and your healthy

4. QueerPunk

QueerPunk Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Dec 29, 2009

I trained in Judo for 13 years. Stopped in 2005 because I felt as if I was getting a little stale but I still remember the movements very well.

Did my own weapons training (baton/pole, knife) to aleviate boredom at one stage as well.

Oh and steel toed boots are everyday wear for my feet...they're like baseball bats on my feet.

5. Saering

Saering Experienced Member Experienced member

Dec 18, 2009

Im in kook sul won, though i can't brag of any great skill or any extended period of time in training (only two years) but i find it a great way to relieve stress and its become a bit of a hobby of mine. ;)

6. dwtcos

dwtcos Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 22, 2009

In a fight I'd probably be carried out on a stretcher q:
    but for some reason I really don't care.
    (and don't give me crap about not being able to fight off oppressors)

7. Rathryn

Rathryn Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 21, 2009

I have some years of experience with Wado-Ryu karate from childhood and 1 or 2 years back I got in half a year's worth of training in Ashihara karate.
    Friend of mine taught me some basic jiu-jitsu too. I've been kind of obsessed with martial arts at one point so if anyone wants any reading material I should probably have some for you XD
    You also might want to check out this place: http://warriorpages.ning.com
    It's a forum for and by martial artists, there's some pretty knowledgeable people on there (myself not included :p)

8. dan00a

dan00a Experienced Member Experienced member

Jan 7, 2010

I haven't had any sort of formal training outside of two years of boxing, and under six months of muay thai. They were both ways to keep myself in shape, since I never really understood the point of fighting for money. I only resort to it as a last defense. Hell, I'll even let a guy hit me and walk away if it will avoid a fight, just because I don't like to fight. If they punch me once and press the issue I won't hesitate to beat some ass, but I can't say I enjoy doing it

9. Oi!

Oi! Active Member Forum Member

Mar 23, 2010

6 years on wrestling...3 on Street fight techniques :ecouteurs:

10. rude-boy

rude-boy Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 12, 2010

i have a knife and steel toed boots...?

11. rude-boy

rude-boy Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 12, 2010

i have a knife and steel toed boots...?