Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Request : Tuna

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bakica, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Bakica

Bakica Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Feb 21, 2010

Has anyone heard of this band ?

If yes, please be sure to check if you have their album or songs, I was at their show yesterday and they were awsome and I was able to find only few songs on internet.
    They are from Brazil. Thanks !

2. vAsSiLy77

vAsSiLy77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jun 21, 2010

3. Bakica

Feb 21, 2010

Thank you very much :beer:

The link works for me

4. Bakica

Feb 21, 2010

Sorry for posting 2 posts, I have problem with APN and it dc me every time I change site ( like most of you I think ) so I can't edit my post.

Anywayz, I would be greatful if someone could translate these two songs ( http://www.reverbnation.com/artist/artist_songs/1467389 ) or just tell me what are they about. I used google translator and didn't get much

5. MagoxVx

MagoxVx Active Member Forum Member

Jun 23, 2011

I've translated them in the way i could... hope it can help. Here you can find something about the meaning of the songs.
    http://tunapunkrock.com/?page_id=46

Ismael at the "something like ampliblender : amplifier + blender"

Since we decided separate/depart
    Don't be animal to be The creature
    be lord of the river and the plain
    wathing everything from above
    from towers made of arrogance
    owning in fences/walls of monoculture
    and at an exercise of greed
    try to overcome the death digging graves

we seal ourselves in a room
    'n from inside, the door don't have a lock
    we condemn 'n condemned ourselves on it -
    room cage - when we encage ourselves on the culture

it has'nt a way back, this door is just for entrance
    from inside it has'nt a lock
    the door, we will not get out by it
    leave it 'n pass the dark room
    goup/touch it, ligth a candle
    see every hole and crack
    arrive animal at the oposite side of the cage
    rascal/vagabound/trickster jump rhyme and the window (the song is strongly rimed in portuguese, but have some "tricks" on its rhyme)

'n see the culture from outside
    (from the wide space of reality, bigger 'n more diverse that the four walls of concepts and structures that kill more than understand)
    'n be ready to live just the now

Peppering/"to put chilly on" the ours

To the wood do'nt rot
    contamined 'n wet
    "hay que secar y endurecer"
    let the sap flow - 'n evaporate
    burn - stay at the sun - burn
    burn - fall on the pire - burn
    To the steel stretch, bend, don't break
    tension over the wood and sound
    must melt and temper
    and then pallet/blade 'till the finger burns
    burn - fuse, glow
    burn - 'till reverberate
    to the body dont rot on bitterness (a bitter person here is something like a mix of a sad and a evil person don't know if this is use in english)
    to the kindness/sweetness never nauseate
    malagueta to bring the heat (malagueta is a tipe of pepper very common here)
    Jalapeños to breathe better (Jalapeños is a mexican pepper)
    to our samba become a rock 'n roll
    to dry the rancor till the drop
    we can scrub ourselves yet (scrub is a slang fot dance ,or make sex... or somethin between the 2)
    at an scratch scrubing (the idea is of a intense thing)
    bur - let the passion burn
    burn - the body and the soul - bun

6. MagoxVx

MagoxVx Active Member Forum Member

Jun 23, 2011

I never saw a Tuna's gig... hope they come to Brazil northeast soon. lol

7. Bakica

Feb 21, 2010

Thank you very much \m/

8. Tof

Tof Member Forum Member

May 28, 2011
     Reunion
    Great band, I'll see them next thursday !! :)
    Their first 7 tracks 12" will be released really soon, here the cover :
    [​IMG]
    one more song here : http://lasocietepue.toile-libre.org/soon.html
    and if you want to know more about the lyrics...

"The following texts are not TuNa’s lyrics translations, although some lyrics are translated. They’re more like reviews, descriptions, analysis. We feel it’s hard to translate them because it’d be hard to say some things in English, especially because there are a lot of words and expressions, or words used with double meaning, that only exist in Portuguese. The way the lyrics are written is as important as their meanings. So we realized it’d be better to explain them and these language expressions or metaphors.

It also happens because we don’t want our speech to be the usual argumentative/objective speech of protest lyrics, but something wider in order not to enforce a mind-set but allowing people to have their own interpretation of it.
    We try not to make usual protest lyrics, pointing what’s wrong in the system, but look for different concepts to base life on.

1. Antes ser o cio que a regra

This song is about gender issues like the social and cultural divisions, the roles we play and how it creates a conflict either between the way each one lives gender and what society expects them/ us to; or between people of different genders, specially between “male” and “female”. In a free translation: there’s a lot of animosity in the speech that says the genders are like parallel lines (never cross – touch – the other). The straight lines can be curves, the different genders touch each other and so gender diversity can be respected if we realize that these divisions are just social concepts. Genders are influenced by each other and each one has his/her own way to live it.

The lyrics are constructed with puns:
    · the title (better be the heat than the regra : this word means at the same time: rule, law and menstruation);
    · para articular/particular/partícula – to articulate/particular/particle;
    · generalização/gênero – to speak in general terms, to analyze superficially/gender;
    · alelo/paralela – each different form of a gene/ parallel;
    · animosidade/anima/animus – animosity/anima (the female part of every personality)/animus (the male part of personality), according to Jung;
    · x e y (they mean at the same time de male and female genes and the crossing lines of a math function);
    · paralela/parabólica – the parallel lines never cross, but a parabola is a curve, and is connected to both x and y in a math function;
    · cio/se a – heat/if the (in portuguese the mark of gender is made with the ending “-o” – for male – and “-a” – for female, so we have the impression of cio/cia, although cia is not an existent word in Portuguese etc. Then we have: cio animus seios (tits) – if your male part are tits; se a anima bolas (in this case, two possible meanings: if your female part are testicles (balls); lift up your mood, man/brother (animar is also a verb to feel happy, and bolas also expresses surprise or disappointment);
    Probably the second chorus needs translation: my male side is a slut, my female side a repressive priest (but padre also means father).
    Régua is a ruler and transferidor is a protractor, kind of circular slide-rule to measure angles: Transgender is usually called trans here. The last verse, translated is like: I don’t think as a ruler (régua and regra are words from the same family – from latin regula = rule, law) but as a transferidor.

2. DE PERTO, O MUNDO DIVERSO

This song uses short-sight as a theme. Some people in the band are short-sighted and this condition is used as a metaphore. Usually, in Portuguese, saying someone is short-sighted means he/she is a narrow-minded person. This song gives this expression the opposite meaning: someone short-sighted needs to look things closer, and to be closer is to pay more attention to details and small differences; to understand the whole picture, when you’re short-sighted, you exercise your imagination and, your general view is a junction of all those individual and particular experiences. It’s different from the normal sight because this one is not supposed to look closely, it looks generally and doesn’t see the peculiarities of life. Looking up close, nothing is ever identical to anything else. Some verses (pensar é estar doente dos olhos) were stolen from Alberto Caeiro, a poet created by the Portuguese poet Fernando Pessoa, and other writers, like Clarice Lispector (brasilian writer) and Saint Exupéry.

3. QUERO FICAR NO TEU CORPO FEITO TATUAGEM

This song was dedicated to a friend, really good tattoo artist and really good person! It was born from the idea that a tattoo is something that comes from inside to outside, not the opposite, and the really special intimacy and friendship we have with this guy. So, skin is not the external part of our body, but the most explicit internal part. It makes every touch intimate, because you’re inside the other when you touch her/him. The title was taken from the first verse of a brasilian singer’s song (Chico Buarque): I want to be in your body like a tattoo.

4. BOM DIA, CABEÇA DE NABO!

This lyric is about ages. It’s a story in the first person about someone whose age changes according to his/her mood and feelings. In the first strophe s/he is 80 years old (going to bed, at night, not much hope left, arthritis in the life experience); in the second, 4 years old (awakening, in the morning, not much experienced – s/he doesn’t know how to clean her/his own ass, has a lot of hope, his/herself to create); in the third, 13 (during the day; when you’re 13 hope is like acne; if subversion is a handjob, freedom is the neighbor’s daughter); in the last one, 40 (in the sunset; life begins at 40, hand in hand, tender kiss, return to mother’s belly).
    It was inspired by the Hayao Miyazaki’s movie Howl’s moving castle.
    It’s about time, experience, young spirit, construction/development of the self, life as a cycle.

5. voAR da cidade

The metaphor here is the following: we are in the south hemisphere, and we usually represent north as up and south as down. If we think of the ordinary globe representation, we’re standing upside down, what invert things: up is the ground (north) and down is the sky (south). Here, if we’re not afraid, we can fall to the sky. But gravity glues us to the ground (in Portuguese gravity means the physical force and also seriousness). The gravity is associated to work and modern workers’ life in polluted cities. The gravity is the gray from the dust as a trap in our legs. The dust in the air is a curtain hiding the horizon… but our eyes are wings and our lungs can blow the dust away, if we’re not afraid to fall to the sky.

The title: Voar means to fly, ar means air = VoAR da cidade = the fly from the city/air of the city.

6. APIMENTANDO O NOSSO

This song is also about giving yourself up to life and to the present moment, to the things you love and want to do; to take risks. The metaphor, better said, the analogy here is made according to:
    · The five Chinese elements: water, earth, wood, metal and fire.
    · The way food works in this elements theory: salty (water), sweet, sour, spicy, bitter.
    · the construction of a guitar (dry water from wood, use fire to make steel – strings)
    · a couple making love

So, in the first strophe: it’s necessary to dry the wood (make the water, the honey-dew, the sap flow) otherwise it gets rot. In the second: only tempered steel (melt metal on fire and then quench it in water) can be bended and tensioned to reverb on wood. After that you can pick it till your fingers burn. In the third: some chilly can dissolve sadness, the anger, the fear and the bitter flow and dry… for people to heal their wounds they must be warmer when getting in touch with other people, making it spicier.
    The chilly is a special element in the lyric, because in this Chinese tradition it prevents sadness.
    There are lots of puns here too:
    · Apimentando o nosso: to put chilly (apimentar) is a brasilian expression that means to make things more alive, vivid, for example “apimentar a relação” is to heat up a relationship, let the passion flow… at the same time we also say “pimenta no cu dos outros é refresco” (chilly in someone else’s ass is refreshing = people don’t consider problems are serious, if it’s someone else’s problem). The title is a joke using both ideas…
    · Temperar in portuguese means, at the same time: temper metal (make steel from iron, for example) and seasoning food.
    · “Cair na pira”: pira means at the same time pyre, the wood arrangement to be set fire, and idea… “cair na pira” is a slang that means to go with the flow, to follow a feeling or an idea.
    · “pro nosso samba dar rock ‘n roll”: when something is going right we can use the brasilian expression “vai dar samba” (we can make samba out of it)- a positive meaning; samba is also used to say “it’s a mess”, in a negative way. The joke is to say we can go over the bad things of life if we follow our passions: our mess can be transformed into something good: our samba can be transformed into rock’n roll.

7. ISMAEL NO LIQUIDIAMPLIFICADOR

This song was inspired by the book Ismael, by Daniel Quinn. It’s about how the humankind put itself apart from nature and how culture generally is an attempt to take control over life and death. Ideology and culture construct our arrogance tower, and on its top we watch all the world as a product we own. This is our prison.
    To free yourself from it, it’s necessary to clean up our mind from this fear and from the idea we’re a special creation of god to rule the world. But culture is a room with only an entrance door. We can’t open this door to go out. That’s why we must jump the out of the window. If we know what’s inside and can watch it from the outside we can create a new and free beginning."