Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Religions that did not start wars

Discussion in 'Anarchism and radical activism' started by The Hat, Aug 29, 2019.

1. The Hat

The Hat Experienced Member Experienced member

May 29, 2019
    Illinois, United States  United States
    I wasn't quite sure where to post this, but I'm sure that a lot of people are athiests, and anti-war activists.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people became athiests for the fact that throughout history, religion is the reason wars were/are started.

Well, unless I'm wrong, (And feel free to correct me) there are four religions that I know of that NEVER declared war........

Satanism
    Scientology
    Pasta-fariism (Church of The Flying Spaghetti Monster)
    The Church of The Sub-genius (Bob Dobbs)

Prove me wrong.

2. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Well scientology may have not started any wars in the traditional sense, but they sure as hell fucked a lot of people over in many many ways. Also do any of these religions control a State, or a territory? Any State? Ever? Kinda hard to declare war without the machinery of at least a substantial territory behind you. Have Rastafarians ever declared war?

Peter Punk likes this.
  3. The Hat

May 29, 2019
    When I started this thread, I was thinking more in the lines of "My God can beat up your God, and my God gave me the OK to declare this piece of earth mine by divine right, so you either surrender and convert to my theology or die."

You know, The Holy Crusades, Spanish Inquisition, Western Expansion, The Holocaust, etc. All of these wars have their roots in religious beliefs/intolerance.

While I get your point about Scientology, (And it's a good one) I don't believe that anybody connected with the leadership of Scientology has ever declared war in the name of L. Ron Hubbard and massacred countless numbers of innocent people for a power/land grab, which was the point I was originally trying to make. (But yeah, Scientology makes my skin crawl, even though I like the Men in Black movies)

As far as any of the religions that I have mentioned, I don't believe any of them control any state or territory. Thank you for bringing that point up.

As far as Rastafarians declaring war, I don't think they have, but something about any religion declaring Hallie Sellasie as some sort of divine messiah, or God incarnate as man makes me feel a bit uneasy.

I DO wonder, however if Jaines, or Shintos ever declared war in the name of their religion. (I'm pretty sure that Buddhists, and Hindus have, though)

4. punkmar77

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Hard to say about Shintos, but I'm going to go ahead and guess yes, because of the Japanese monarchy. Quakers are another sect that are hardcore pacifist Christians, and I've written about them before as they were my allies in Food Not Bombs for many many years and were many times more radical than some of the punks that made their way through our collectives. I get your point, being a lifelong atheist and student of many religions, my opinions have grown some wisdom (I like to think) as there really are assholes in any percentage of humans no matter the belief system or lack there of.

5. Red Menace

Red Menace Active Member Forum Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Florida, United States  United States
    Only if this counts....

punkmar77 likes this.
  6. The Hat

May 29, 2019
    In response to your statement about assholes in any percentage of humans no matter what their belief systems or lack thereof........

While I personally believe that for the most part Quakers have been on (In my opinion) the right side of social justice throughout history, they were the one who came up with the concept of solitary confinement, and Richard M. Nixon was a Quaker himself.

(But, to be fair, even the Quakers realized that solitary confinement did more harm then good, and I believe a majority of them who came up with the concept of prison would be disgusted at the way their model has been abused)

7. punkmar77

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    And on that point, I believe they have turned to prison abolitionists, American Friends Service Comitee are anti-prison Quakers..

8. The Hat

May 29, 2019
    Worth looking into.