Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Punks at work

Discussion in 'Anarchism and radical activism' started by punkmar77, Dec 18, 2009.

1. vAsSiLy77

vAsSiLy77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jun 21, 2010

what do you want to do? - that's the first question, even if i don't know where you live and how the circumstances/job opportunities in your area are. lots of the younger punks around here have the very same problem, schools almost finished and no real perspective what to do afterwards - and neither the school nor the employment office are much help, the job market is a mess since decades.
    the evil clown isn't really a perspective and you're right to refuse working for them - but what do you want to do to escape and do something useful for yourself?

my nine-month-contract is running out in april, i'm working in the university library, doing cleaning work, assist people to find their stuff via the computersystem ect. - and my boss tells me that i'm wasting too much time with the customers... while the dustlevels are rising. my colleagues aren't really first choice, i'm the youngest so i have to work late, do the cleaning jobs before one of them get's the idea... i'm not really happy with that, especially because it's kinda unnecessary hierarchy - if you are new and younger than the others, you're at the bottom of the heap, they pick their jobs and leave the rest to me. but we need the money and i have access to books and other media i wouldn't be able to get otherwise, so i think i'll waste time with people a bit less eye-catching, swing the dustcloth a bit faster and hope for the best... :ecouteurs:

2. JoeyV

JoeyV Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 23, 2010

Re: good jobs for anarchist?

I'm wondering about this also, I'm 17, a drop out, and shitloads of tickets I've never paid. I need to get money fast because me and my girlfriend need to move out since her grandmother is moving in. Been thinking for months what I'm going to do but I have NO idea. Any tips?

3. SH(A)//N//(E)

SH(A)//N//(E) New Member New Member

Dec 11, 2010

i work in a mortuary.. so i have to deal with the police which is pretty dumb but meh its a cool job

4. JesusCrust

JesusCrust Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Apr 17, 2010

As they say, the two jobs that wont be affected by a recession, a weather man and a mortician. Also, I've come to the conclusion that in bike shops business must boom during a recession.

5. JesusCrust

Apr 17, 2010

Also, I asked a question in another thread, which may be better answered here...

I've been considering getting a job at greenpeace. I know they have their fucked upness (excuse my lack of a better word, I've been drinking) but the way I see it, it's still better than working for companies that absolutely deny global warming, and any other injustices due to anything capitalistic, but after seeing this video...(in the link ungov provided) I start to see greenpeace as more counter productive. Almost like the democratic party, we want basically a lot of the same shit, but they make take focus away from real change for a pseudo idea of change. Maybe this is the same as PETA as people as specified in the "Justin Bieber is an animal rights activist" thread, but I can't help but feeling doing work for greenpeace is actually for the greater evil, not good. Any thoughts, opinions?

6. JackNegativity

JackNegativity Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 9, 2010

Fuck work and greenpeace, let's run away and join Seashepherd.

7. JesusCrust

Apr 17, 2010

I heard that Japanese whaling boats actually stopped whaling, for an indefinite amount of time, because of the harassment by the Sea Shepard, and other similar groups.

8. Warfiend

Warfiend Experienced Member Experienced member

Mar 11, 2011

I don't work in the typical sense. I spend a lot of my time working on various anarchist projects and if I need any money I make some by designing gig posters for local promoters. I'm not on benefits or anything so that is pretty much my sole source of income. I've been considering getting a part-time job to suppliment that but finding one that is both ethical and leaves me with enough time to do other things is proving quite difficult.

9. t-bag

t-bag Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 24, 2009

I got a wife and a kid..i work or they starve. I would love to be doing something a little more productive then answering phones but hey gotta make a living somehow.

10. coolcannonball

coolcannonball New Member New Member

Apr 4, 2011

what do yall think about people that work at collective anarchist book stores and places like that with no bosses but run on direct democracy??? i dnt cuz im not old enough wish i was tho,but thers one in ashville ide like to work at wen im out of school! :star:

11. RobbyKills

RobbyKills Member Forum Member

Apr 4, 2011

I work two jobs. Like both of them.

The first, that I've worked for 6 years is at an independent family run pharmacy. I just run the register. I feel bad about taking someones entire paycheck for the drugs they need to live, but if they weren't buying them from us they'd be buying them from the local walmart or in a lot of people's cases probably fucking dying quickly or more painfully then they'd have to. It's a shame though. On the plus side my boss treats his workers like humans, I get paid REALLY well for the amount of work I do and can read/do homework/etc. when I'm there, there's plenty of downtime. He also is locally notorious for going to bat for his customers against a lot of these asshole drug and insurance companies, cutting prices when he can, and letting longtime customers slide on monetary issues to a point. I can usually even get days off super easy. Sometimes my BOSS will even stay late to lock up in my place if I have to play a show or something. And he gives me a pretty decent christmas bonus, for unskilled labor! I really can't complain at all.

The other job I work is as a bicycle pedicab rider in the local college town. Again, good money, and I get paid to ride a bike and exercise. The bosses are two brothers, one of whom works as a manager at a local bike shop. They rent the cabs to us nightly at an absurdly low price and we get to keep the rest of the tip money at the end of the night. They ride with us too and are generally relaxed, awesome guys, who hate the idea of bosses. As such they value the input of all their riders, we decide our own hours and they make me feel as if I have a personal stake in the business and that my opinion is important. The only real bummer is sometimes we have real asshole rich kid customers, but I've kicked a few out of my cab for being racist assholes and the like. That and one of our cabs is sponsored by Bud Light, luckily it's the boss' personal one so I don't have to be seen riding that around, all of ours just advertise local small businesses.

I also go to school for Elementary Education. Frankly, I'm pretty disgusted with the American education system, especially having seen it from the inside. I'm not alone in this either, most of my profs, being former teachers, express similar sentiment. As such I plan on getting the degree and either substituting for a while or trying to find a good job like those with youth after school mentioned earlier in the thread.

12. vAsSiLy77

vAsSiLy77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jun 21, 2010

got a new job after my little self-exploiting paradise had to be closed down to spare my boss some tax-trouble - kinda promotion: Foreman for a bunch of long-term unemployed/welfare recipients condemned to work in a bio-dynamic glasshouse farm - sounds promising? Not really, what's expectable for 1 euro 25 cent and enforced work duty... Me, the foreman is getting the tarif-loan and a nice little bonus - quite embarrassing, guess I'll compensate with some free breakfast or lunch for all - it's more than I got with the old job.
    Good thing is, one of my mates works there too - he volunteered some months before and with his insiders sight we're already discussing concepts for some motivational work - the farms budget is almost bankrupt and we got a year to get towards cost/profit effiency, if we don't manage this, the farm project will be closed down.
    I think it's somehow an interesting opportunity to put theory and attitude into action, of course without playing the foreman thing for a second - equality and bio-dynamics for all!

13. Mykill Von Doom

Mykill Von Doom Member Forum Member

Apr 18, 2011
     Netherlands
    Work, the curse of the drinking classes.

After I fucked up my degree (physics/maths/computing) I started a temp job inputting prescription data. Which lasted 13 years and ended with me on Prozac, with long term back pain and RSI.
    Short holiday in a psyche ward and 2 years unemployment later, started a temp job doing admin for a cleaning products manufacturer. Lots of dossing, very varied work. Ended after 6 months.
    Started another temp job doing admin for a company that tested electrical goods to international safety standards. Got stuck there for 4 years while they exploited my IT skills for admin wages.
    Got a virus, which turned into chronic fatigue (CFS/ME), stuck it out at work for 6 months; overworked, covering for people who left, training up part time junior staff whilst being the only one in the office, eventually fell apart and had 6 months on paid sick leave. Forced to return, couldn't manage it. Been on incapacity benefit (sickness welfare) since then (almost 3 years to date).
    Now I'm doing part time, as needed, unpaid work maintaining the website & information systems for the local volunteer bureaus (bureaux?). Had to move back in with my folks (not well off, and recently retired) as I don't have the energy to shop/clean/cook/etc (although I still do as much as I'm able, for the sake of my pride if nothing else).

When life hands you shit, make shitade.

14. Reeking_Carcass

Reeking_Carcass Member New Member

Apr 24, 2011

I'm a projectionist at a small movie theatre. It's a pretty easy job, I'm actually here right now. I mostly read, listen to music and go on the internet. And I don't have to deal with customers or other employees. Although I can't stand all of the bullshit drama that they create so I'm going to apply at Stone Brewery probably on Monday. All the free beer I want! haha

15. JesusCrust

Apr 17, 2010

So today was my orientation at Vons. 6 hours of sitting through talking, taking notes, and watching those cheesy videos. Anywho I got a paper about the official union that cover's Vons employee's, UFCW 324.
    Basically what I'm wondering is, is it worth it to pay the 200$ initiation fee, and the 40$ monthly due after? What do you guys know about this union, an as an anarchist do you support it?

http://www.ufcw324.org/

16. JackNegativity

JackNegativity Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 9, 2010

I was a member of UFCW in NY, but there the business was union so there was no choice but to join. I don't know if that's how it works in CA. The mandatory raises, vacation, sick days and other shit made it seem worth it to me, considering other jobs I've had. Basically the job couldn't fire me unless I either got caught stealing or assaulted/sexually harrassed someone. The main thing that sucked was if you wanted to get on the medical plan, you had to pay...and basically only salaried people could really afford it. Mind you, I don't know if things are the same state-to-state, but that's what it was like in NY.

Even though like any other organization in a capitalist society there's always potential for corruption at the top, in my opinion it's better to be union than non-union. If you've ever worked at non-union jobs, like alot of the big corporate chains (Walmart, McDonalds etc.), you'll know you can basically lose your job at any time, with or without cause/explanation.

I remember once back in the day (long before i had any interest in it) some punk dude was trying to sell me on Anarcho-Syndacalism, but told me my union wasn't a "real' union. I went to the site he gave me to shut him up, and the first link on their page was UFCW. Go figure.

17. SurgeryXdisaster

SurgeryXdisaster Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 8, 2009

Used to do odd jobs that were always shady
    but I need the money to move away, so I went legitimate
    I got a job at a warehouse style grocery store.
    You get used to the manual labour like cart pushing and all kinds of other crap
    but Its harms my body and breaks my spirit, I would have preferred the used book store any day.
    2 months and I'm fucking out of this town

Also, they tried starting a retirement plan for me and I'm not even 21 yet... :ecouteurs:
    I'm not trying to look ahead 40+ years, that just depresses me. Gimme my filthy money and I'm out of here

18. The Freakboi

The Freakboi Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

May 8, 2011

I'm on the dole. Yeah, it sucks bigtime. I volunteer at a local furniture store and occasionally I get tips from customers (though I'm not really meant to accept them) and I read poetry on the street and leave a hat out. Doesn't get me much but occasionally I can get a meal out of it.

I really want to make a living out of my band but for us to do that, we really need more members (at the moment we operate as a two piece) and some better gear. The amps we use at the moment are so pathetic that you can barely hear us if we play anywhere remotely crowded. Plus we only get to gig every so often because currently we live 200 miles apart. Still, I only need to raise a grand (lol "only") and I can move back to Northampton and get the band properly set up.

Realistically, I need to get a real job but no fucker will employ me. Unfortunately, I have a huge gap on my CV where it should say "work experience". The dumb part is, I have plenty of work experience, just not paid work. Surely that means I would be a harder worker, because I work for free anyway. I'd like to see half these managers that interview me move heavy furniture through narrow doorways and up and down stairs for 8 hours a day!

19. persona-non-grata

persona-non-grata Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 9, 2010

ok some recent changes in my life and especially work so for those interested:
    I got kicked out of school becouse they said I'm not fit fit for that exact studie :/ (kinda ironic the reason they kicked me as they said: I can not plan and I don't get things done on time. now they maybe right aboutthis but instead of warning/helping me they just kicked me out now here comes the fun bit after "accusing" me of these things then 1.5 months after doing so I get a letter if me and my parents want to go to the teacher parrent night but whatever) ok becouse I'm not going to school right now I'm working full time and as some of you might know I was working for the evil clown before all of this happened but there was no way in hell a was gonna do that full time so...

I finally grew myself some fucking balls and quit :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

now I'm working full time for a fruit packing company witch is a lot of fun I work with a lot of different people from defferent countries plus I lift alot of wieght it's a kind of full time fitness but I get paid for it :D

now I don't plan to keep working there the rest of my life mostly becouse if I don't get another education I have to pay our dear government €2000,- of studiefinance back and I aint got that kinda money so I'm applying for a new education which is *drumroll* musician/producer I really hope I get accepted I am going to audition the 19th of may so fingers crossed :ecouteurs:

if you were interested enough to read this thank you and wish e luck for my audition

:ecouteurs: :beer: <3

nutz!

20. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Good luck PNG!