Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Punks against Myspace

Discussion in 'Music, punk scene & subcultures' started by Shuei, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Shuei

Shuei Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 19, 2010

My band might soon be ready with our first demo, and we would - as any other band - like to promote ourself, so that we might get some shows to play.

As a part of that we have - as so many other bands - considered making a Myspace profile.
    But as we all know Rubert Murdoch is a douchebag, i checked it out.

I found this article:
    http://pithos2k.wordpress.com/2008/06/2 ... e-myspace/
    http://dynamite.lautre.net/

Though the article does make it's valid points, i am still wondering wether or not i should make a profile. The problem is, that bands are the ones that has the smallest chance of fighting all of this, as they have to have people booking them for shows - and many of those people are looking at myspace for bands. It's true that it sucks to support it, but the entire DIY movement have to move out of Myspace in order for it to work for the bands. That's just my opinion.

Any thoughts on this? And alternative ways of promoting, that might reach the same audience?

(To be fair, i'm not judging any band for having a myspace profile, i just think the debate is important)

2. vAsSiLy77

vAsSiLy77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jun 21, 2010

Your're absolutely right, I have to agree completly and I think I will never make a profile there -
    but myspace deserves to be undermined with a constant flood of articles like the one you graced us with - remember Dead Kennedy's MTV-Get-Off-The-Air? Kind of guerilla warfare...
    I guess I'm lacking the time and I'm too lazy to contribute my part - but I think it's ok. for you to promote your band on myspace as long as you fight myspace - using the enemy, you know... That just my opinion, it's up to you to choose what you do.
    But whatever you do - :thumbsup: luck to the band - (what's the name? - promoting it on this site?)

3. ryan1980

ryan1980 Experienced Member Experienced member

Jul 9, 2010

You may be able to obtain the same amount of traffic by going to FACEBOOK and uploading your music there, I dunno how you do that but I know there have bands/artists on there.

and theres this link: http://mashable.com/2007/06/22/music-social-networks-2/

an article on music-oriented social networking sites.

Good Luck with your band and Vas. is right, you should upload and promote on here too :)

4. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    Yeah myspace is shit, but being elitist against it is also stupid.

Just a litte information.... This pamphlet against myspace is written by "Dynamite", they are a french forum and it's fucking shit. The people behind dynamite are dumbasses elitists and sectarians, we had trouble with a lot of their members since many years. Once again a few days ago i had to go defend myself on their forum because they were talking shit about me and our websites (including anarcho-punk.net). Some people were lying and pretending i make money out of this website, they said i am a patriot and that we have nationalists on our moderation team, we publish RAC bands etc.... None of that is true.... Anyway, just to say these peoples are elitist scumbags and they critize everything and everyone, they think they are perfect but they are even worse than what they critize. They keep talking shit about us since we started Pirate-Punk.net, they dont like us for stupid reasons and they say that anarcho-punk.net is a shitty forum.

Anyway, just remember : the internet is hold by big capitalist company, we use windows made by the richest person on earth, the music we download is hosted on big capitalist servers, the data transit through capitalist cable, our energy comes from big companies and nuclear power, mp3 is a proprietary format of file and help to fund war, the guitars used by the bands are made by big companies, buying albums from bands is funding Compact Disc companies, etc etc etc.... Capitalist is everywhere, wake up!

90% of the bands on this website use myspace to promote themselves. Don't feel guilty if you do the same, small bands dont have much choice anyway... if you want to be heard and start your band this is almost impossible to do it without internet

As for alternative to myspace, i dont really know any that are not shitty... We have a project of making a website alternative to myspace without ads since a while, but we will need more money (and more time) before the project comes alive

5. Raise Your Fist

Raise Your Fist Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Apr 11, 2010

In this day and age, almost everything you do is supporting some corporation.
    I cant stand it when people are like "im more anarchist than you because you have
    a myspace." I actually get detailed and explain anarchism to people in my area.
    Is that so wrong? :ecouteurs:

Edit: and i really dont support myspace, its just a good way to meet people in your area.
    And to call out juggalos and scene kids, and especially kids that do the jerk. :@

6. SenI

SenI Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 4, 2009
     Russian Federation
    Something a was it's topic about Myspace already. Personally, I do not know about you, but why not support Punkrocker.com as for alternative against Myspace? I have a year like I have my profiles in punkrockers.com and did not notice there is not some publicity.

7. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Check out Bandcamp

8. Vegetarian Barbarian

Vegetarian Barbarian Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 19, 2009

Yea, if someone doesn't have a myspace, chances are they have a facebook, twitter account, dig account, last fm account, livejournal account etc. etc. Hell, if they even know you have a myspace, theres a pretty good chance that they are doing something as "unpunk" as having a myspace to find out about it. I say make one, and WHO FUCKING CARES.

I dont have to explain the whole "dont support corporations" bit because its below my intelligence level

9. Shuei

Jan 19, 2010

Thank you for answers.

I will consider making us a Myspace whenever we get the demo done.

Facebook is a good idea, but it's hard to promote unknown bands. It's great for more known bands to keep in contact with supporters and update, but i've heard it's hard to get a lot of publicity there. None the less it's probably worth a try.

My band hasn't got a demo that i would like to publish ready yet, though we've got our first song almost done. Our name is still being debated now, since one of our members didn't like it (all in all, the whole start up shit). I will post it here whenever we've got something done!

Ungovernable:
    Jeez, we have such elitist's too. Funnily enough those that don't do shit. Talk about activism, but never do anything. Didn't know they were.

I'll check out the sites - Thank you!
    I fell upon the site "ourstage.com". It's collaborating with MTV, and most is shit, but there's some decent bands around it.

10. JesusCrust

JesusCrust Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Apr 17, 2010

Ungov, crazy idea, I don't know if it's possible in some way because I have no idea how websites work, but is there a way to make a section on this site strictly for band profiles, (kind of like myspace music?). Like make an option to create a band profile here with a music player? Then we could promote bands from this site. Probably get the site a lot more hits too if everyone tells other people to check out their band here.

11. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    Punkrocker.com is a shitty website full of ads, its made to make money just like myspace. They also use half nude models to promote themselves and their forum is full of idiots.

Not really possible without making a different website. Also we don't have the disk space needed to offer music player to our members

12. JesusCrust

JesusCrust Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Apr 17, 2010

Damn, that'd be pretty rad though. I need to learn web design. I'd be more than down to make a page made solely for DIY artists.

13. Protspecd

Protspecd Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 3, 2010

Pretty much this. Though like you said, owned mostly by capitalism, the internet is the greatest way of having you opinion and music being heard. The internet has given the opportunity for anyone to voice their opinion and be heard by others from around the world. Using myspace or not, you are going to be funding capitalism...

I like your idea about the alternative myspace though. Maybe have bands pay 5 dollars (just a place holder, I have no idea what the server costs are) for a bigger space to store songs on the server (free for default space). Just enough to cover server costs to be non-for-profit, I see no shame in that. Anyone that bitches about that option should make their own server with no income to support it, obviously they won't because of how unrealistic it is..

14. punkerfucker

punkerfucker Active Member Forum Member

Nov 3, 2009

yeah....this website's kinda suck...its like to promote a "punk fashion" on ugly nude models.. :S :ecouteurs:

15. SenI

SenI Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 4, 2009
     Russian Federation
    Ooops :( ! That's about the fact, that I forgot. Sorry... I have noticed about the course models in this site, for me it was strange. But that's where a lot of girls with t-shirt Punkrocker.com on the pictures - it really looks like advertising. But at the expense of their forum, you're right. There really is full of idiots.

Hmm... yeah :/ . By the way, who everybody heard of a fact, that Riseup.net want to create a libertarian social networks? If they can make it wakes excellent alternative to Myspace, Facebook, etc.

16. ryan1980

ryan1980 Experienced Member Experienced member

Jul 9, 2010

riseup labs already has something called crabgrass http://crabgrass.riseup.net/ its meant for PACS and grassroot groups to better organize with one another.

17. Shuei

Jan 19, 2010

I'm terrible at programming, but would otherwise be all for helping to create a music site for DIY music profiles.
    I have experience as an admin on a forum before.

If nothing else, we could collaborate with Anarcho-Punk.net, it's not to make any kind of competition to this site, only to Myspace and such.

18. KAAOS-82

KAAOS-82 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jul 13, 2010

no problem with using myspace. you don't pay for it, they get there money from advertising so they're not taking my money

19. DirtyRottenThrashPunk

DirtyRottenThrashPunk Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 11, 2010

This. Plus, even if you did have to pay for it, pretty much anywhere you spend money you're gonna be profiting some rich asshole. Fuck you capitalism! Also, myspace is good for bands to get "exposure" on the scene and whatnot.

20. JOE01

JOE01 Active Member Forum Member

Feb 6, 2011

It's good to take a stand against it and create an alternative network. I had to consider the arguments against it for a long time. We in Active Slaughter had one for a long time and our drummer urged us to fuck it off, we obliged him

http://www.activeslaughter.co.uk/index_proper.htm

http://www.dynamite.lautre.net/antimysp ... yspace.htm

Some of the excuses here about not personally giving them any money so it’s fine is a bit lame in my opinion, it’s not really trying to strive to create something different is it?

I should really look at updating our punkrockers.com profile, I think encouraging alternatives to myspace is a good thing; they are part of a vile corporation no matter how you dress it up. If it's OK to use myspace to promote anarcho music why not go all the way and play on MTV, sign to hellcat or EMI? These are just thoughts, I'm playing devil’s advocate though to be honest I am glad we fucked our myspace off, I don't miss it. We're not an active unit (pardon the pun) any more but I actually found it liberating not to be on myspace and my self as an individual outright refuse facebook. There were some advantages to being on myspace for sure, but surely all those ‘advantages’ can be achieved through creating alternatives?I think as a DIY punk community we should do more to strive to create alternatives than to leave our promotion in the domain of a Murdoch owned corporation!

Those are some of my thoughts anyway